Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Airush on the right track with the One kite

Postby alexrider » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 am

“We seek excellence, by constant trial and error.”
Master Jin Kwon (South Korean Martial Arts master)

http://www.skyhooked.co.uk/?p=792

Airush is on the right track. This is the evolution of kite.
Next step: no strut at all. Rumors are that such a kite is already in proto form (the Zero kite?).
And then finally, the greatest innovation of all: replace the remaining leading edge tube with a second skin in order to produce a proper airfoil.
The brand will appropriately change its name to RamAirush.

PS... the evidence that Airush will follow this logic further is taken from Skyhooked's report:
"However, the advantages of a one strut kite that become apparent after the first session are: set up is quick, pack down is easy and quick, relaunch is easy (no water wheel effect of extra struts), flies great and pulls well in light winds (improved aerodynamics I’m guessing)."

That's precisely how a foil kite is defined. ;-)

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush on the right track with the One kite

Postby WildDuke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 am

I own a 9m One kite and I love it! And you are right about the similarities, except the relaunch. I know what your trying to say, but it's the only drawback to foil kites I reckon!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:06 am

WildDuke wrote:I own a 9m One kite and I love it! And you are right about the similarities, except the relaunch. I know what your trying to say, but it's the only drawback to foil kites I reckon!
Hi Duke,
I am afraid you are wrong. Your opinion will change when you try the last generation of foils. See the review of a foil by a LEI rider and my latest comment:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372266&p=715858#p715858
:bye:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:17 am

WildDuke wrote:except the relaunch

0:47 ... I'm just saying ;) and I'm standing by with a LOL for the guys who will, inevitably, jump in and say "Ooh er isn't that dangerous?" when LEIs tried so hard to achieve the same thing :nono:

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:18 pm

do struts do anything tangible that full length battens can't? I feel like weight should be about the same and airflow should be much improved. I inderstand that the LE is important for relaunch, but it seems like the struts could be carbon sticks and do the same thing...

I've got a pickup so i leave my kite long anyways...

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:01 pm

WildDuke wrote:I own a 9m One kite and I love it! And you are right about the similarities, except the relaunch. I know what your trying to say, but it's the only drawback to foil kites I reckon!
Hey there would you be so kind to give some feedback on the "one". How are the barforces, turning and sheeting, how bigg is the LE diameter, low end and top end? If you could make a comparison to some other kites that would be helpful.

All the best :bye:

/Urban.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:26 am

Just a little warning regarding the airush one:

We have used it in our school this summer, and hence it has been on the beach a lot, both in the air and parked LE down on the beach. As it has only one strut, the canopy is "flapping" a lot more when parked than kites with more struts, resulting in more wear on the trailing edge. This is really noticable and has resulted in the kite ripping several times (thanks to kiteaid we have managed to get it up and running the following day).

So be careful not to leave the kite on the beach for longer periods (this goes for any kite, i know, but especially this one).

Kite worked really well in school, as it relaunches almost automatically and is nice and stable. Amazing.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 am

AndKite wrote:Just a little warning regarding the airush one:

We have used it in our school this summer, and hence it has been on the beach a lot, both in the air and parked LE down on the beach. As it has only one strut, the canopy is "flapping" a lot more when parked than kites with more struts, resulting in more wear on the trailing edge. This is really noticable and has resulted in the kite ripping several times (thanks to kiteaid we have managed to get it up and running the following day).

So be careful not to leave the kite on the beach for longer periods (this goes for any kite, i know, but especially this one).

Kite worked really well in school, as it relaunches almost automatically and is nice and stable. Amazing.
:o are you saing the kite ripped from the trailing edge and forward? How bigg have the ripp been? Can you just weight down the kite with more sand to avoid the flapping.

/Urban.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 am

Telekiter- sure, I've been using my 9m kite all season here in Papua new guinea. Its my only kite so I have been using it a lot! Ok, there is two settings for bar pressure, the light was too light for me so I moved it back to regular. It's Slightly firmer than the slingshot rpm but not as heavy as my old north rebel. The steering is very direct in that you can fly it really precise. It is perfect. I am using the shorter with on the bar and have it on the medium turning speed knot on the kite. With these settings you can really get it turning quick if you pull hard on the bar, I am at the stage where I am doing backrolls, learning backroll transitions, forward rolls, and unhooking so I was a kite that is stable and will stay where I put it while I practice my moves. To unhook all I do is pull the depower all the way, and that's it, unhook with plenty of power and no backstalling what so ever.

When I crash and I am a fair bit as I am practicing the kite will most of the time sit stable in the air till I compose myself or if I do crash it in the water it relaunched immediately. I've never owned a kite that relaunches so quick. I'm not afraid to try new things and crash 'cause relaunching is so easy.

The one strut kite is light. So light that I have to put my board on the leading edge when it's on the beach cause it will blow away. The other poster is correct in that the trailing edge does sit on the sand and will flap in the wind which will wear the fabric if you leave it there for long periods. I don't, so not an issue for me, but like another poster suggested, I guess placing sand or a soft sand bag to weigh down and stop the flapping should solve that issue if it's really that much of a problem with you.

I have been told buy so many people that since I am now progressing past the cruising back and forth stage into freestyle tricks that I should be looking for a 'performance' kite. Tell you the truth, this kite relaunches super fast, has heaps of low end grunt, handles gusty winds flawlessly, more stable than any other kite I've flown, and has enough depower in the bar to handle stronger winds; honestly I can't this of any intermediate kiter that doesn't want all of that!

The one kite is cheaper that other kites and is really unique at the beach. As far as your question about the leading edge, it is quite large compared to other kites. This is because the leading edge is the main support for the canopy. It is very stiff when pimped up which holds the canopy taught. Because of the thicker leading edge it's not a fast kite through the window. That suits me as i am learning new moves and is great for stability and knowing that the will still be where you left it when you started your backroll. You are not going to win any races with it if you were considering using it for that.

Finally I enjoyed my one kite this season so much that I have ordered a new set for 2012. I ordered a 6, 9 and a 12. I am totally happy with it and like I said before its cheaper than other kites so I am saving a bit of cash.

Sorry if there are spelling mistakes in this as I have written it on my iPhone and is too long for me to go back and re read.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:53 am

Telekiter wrote: :o are you saing the kite ripped from the trailing edge and forward? How bigg have the ripp been? Can you just weight down the kite with more sand to avoid the flapping.

/Urban.
Well, i did unfortunately not see or get any slowotion footage of the kite ripping so i don't know exactly where it started and in what direction it ripped. But it ripped from trailing edge to leading edge plus a small 90 degree angle the first time, and then after repair it ripped close to the repair.

For now the kite is retired, waiting to be repaired completely with sail maker. But in the future, yes weighing it down more with sand would definitely be an option. Its just that it sits so tightly to the ground by it self that it seems it almost does not need sand to stay down which is why we did not put much on in the beginning. But fairly strong wind and sand blowing through the air, the trailing edge looked and felt like it had been sandpapered.

Return to “Kitesurfing”