Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Renegade "Infinity V2" light wind machine.

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Renegade "Infinity V2" light wind machine.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi guys,
This is a review some one from Australia made on the "EPIC KITES 3RD GENERATION 3GII" topic about the RENEGADE and the INFINITY v2 kites and wanted to share his review on the INFINITY V2. If you want to read his entire review about the RENEGADE you can always click on this link:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377845&start=330

.................Good things about the kite?
:p lots! relaunch, drift, pivot turning, look, build quality, bar, lines, bridle, sliders, delta tips, easy maneuverability, Out of the bag it's all impressive. The bag is easily one of the best made for kiting. Loads of room for everything. I have 2 bags and I just keep both epics in the one & have the at the beach every time to cover margin calls. Both bars fit in the sidepocket. Check. The pump is still gr8 and I have been using it heaps. Mainly on the infinity - such is the season we're having here.

Just to touch on the infinity debate that seems to be raging here lately. I really don't see the fuss?
The kite flys in 3-4kts. I have done it. I have a wind meter. It is exciting for about 30 seconds then when I realize it's not strong enough and it won't pick up it's back in the bag and back to work! I waded out in the waves in this wind speed and paid the price by having to pack up a very wet and sandy kite after some small waves pushed me towards the kite, very boring, but what kite would even fly in this range? The Cabrinha? Also since all those Cab guys had the video's ready for the infinity, you'd expect they would have one up for their 18 on this day or in similar winds - can anyone here point the way to this video? That would be awesome. I would like to point out that I like cab kites. I'm a big fan, I have a switchie and a convert and have used their large kites and owned quite a few in the middle sizes. I think they're awesome at what they do. Plus they are very durable kites. But since a lot of mud is going towards Epic because of a Cab riders video (or do I have this wrong? ) it would seem fair to show the video of the cab on the same day. Much the same result at best, I would expect. It is a fact that the Infinity will lift off the ground in the 3kt range. Get out your gauges do it yourself. It's been done. It's been video'd it's been posted. It will be done again (not by me unless it's for a bet!_ otherwise I've got better things to do) It's boring to do. It's a fact.

The infinity will go in small waves with no or favourable currents in 6-8kts. In downwind flowing currents it has taken 8+ kts solid to get it going. It is not the fastest LW kite around but it goes upwind better than most. I have had swap sessions with the core 17m xr2 and it is slower to turn but definitely goes upwind better. Even the core owner said this. I preferred the infinities feel but I would like it to turn a little more faster like the core and I think it could be made to have a touch lighter bar pressure (like if it was a giant 11m!! nudge wink). but maybe there is scientific trade off there that is set in stone for now? The thing I do know is that a lot of big kites will get you out there at 6-8 but it's up to you to figure which one you like the most. For me the Epic is just that.
thanks for reading all this - I hope it helps you with any decisions you have to get a demo or not. I would definitely say try them out. The Epic crew are great and easy to communicate with and will always stay in touch with you about anything you would like to know. A lot of companies let you fall off the radar so it's refreshing to feel like you are making a contribution to the brand you ride. Adios

So just try the kite and you will see what it can do.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am

Decided to have an evening session on OXYGEN V2 twin tip board and the INFINITY V3 final prototype kite in (__to__knots) while nobody else was around due to the lack of wind.
Attachments
IMG_1078 1.jpg
IMG_1080 6.jpg
IMG_1133 2.jpg
IMG_1155 3.jpg
GOPR0047.jpg
Last edited by Dimitri M on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 am

Aussies love the Epics!!!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 am

This is the video of the INFINITY V3 prototype kite in light wind action in the Grand Cayman. You saw the pictures, now you see the video of that day.
:thumb:

YOUTUBE:

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 am

Nice Dimitri, can't wait to get hold if it. If you're in Australia and chasing a demo of the V3 infinity shoot me an email sooner rather than later, my demo kite is booked for the first couple of months already!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello EastCC, and "yes" you are correct about the INFINITY V2 kites. I am out of demos and need to put more INFINITY V2 into the demo fleet. The funny thing is that some of the demos I have sent to people get sold once the person tries it. So this makes it hard for me.
Any way, we were sold out of INFINITY V2 kites but should be getting more this Wed.

On another note this is another email I received from a customer few days ago.
Attachments
email from a kiter.jpg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 pm

DAMN!!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

last year Dimitri came to Greece and left me an infinity V2 (wich i hated it and i refused to used even in light wind days cause i thought that it will be a heavy,slow moving flying BRICK) :lol: :lol: ..well i made the mistake and sold it to a guy who was begging me to, without even try it (he was trusting Dimitri from his words and videos).I saw that guy yesterday to the beach with that kite standing in the beach and waiting for the wind.Once a light breeze came i asked to take the kite and trim it with his bar...Well guess what.I didnt wanted to go out again..Surfing with glassy waves of 1-1,5m was no problem with a 6,0" surfboard (i am 83 kilos) and i give a try also to the TT.Serious hang time and old school tricks was coming easy and the unhooked performance was magnificent without having problems with the relaunch,since the kite was standing on its side waiting for me to pull it on the air :!:

i m so sad cause Dimitri is out of stock now and i think i'm gonna loose many lightwind sessions :roll: :cry:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Poster: nikalaitzian
DAMN!!! :angryfire: :angryfire:
last year Dimitri came to Greece and left me an infinity V2 (wich i hated it and i refused to used even in light wind days cause i thought that it will be a heavy,slow moving flying BRICK) :lol: :lol: ..well i made the mistake and sold it to a guy who was begging me to, without even try it (he was trusting Dimitri from his words and videos).I saw that guy yesterday to the beach with that kite standing in the beach and waiting for the wind.Once a light breeze came i asked to take the kite and trim it with his bar...Well guess what.I didnt wanted to go out again..Surfing with glassy waves of 1-1,5m was no problem with a 6,0" surfboard (i am 83 kilos) and i give a try also to the TT.Serious hang time and old school tricks was coming easy and the unhooked performance was magnificent without having problems with the relaunch,since the kite was standing on its side waiting for me to pull it on the air :!:
i m so sad cause Dimitri is out of stock now and i think i'm gonna loose many lightwind sessions :roll: :cry:

Why did you sell the INFINITY V2 demo kite I left you this summer!!!!! :argue:
I told you that kite was very good for light wind conditions. I guess you did not listen to me.
Now you need to wait. By the way email me at: dimitri@epickites.com to let me know how much you sold the kite for. I sent you few emails but no replies from you.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 am

This is a review some one did on the INFINITY V2 demo kite we sent him last week. Once again you can see what people think about the performance of the INFINITY V2 kite and the customer service EPIC offers.

This is the link in case you want to check some of the pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2379945&p=788596#p788596
Kristy, Helen, and Dimitri were kind enough to mail me a demo Infinity (16m) light wind kite to SW Colorado so I wanted to write up an honest review. It's tough to try out new kites as there aren't many shops 'round these parts.' I'm a moderate level kiter and have flown Cabrinha and Best tubes and Ozone and big Flysurfer foils. I used to have a old 15m Waroo (which I couldn't keep in the air in light wind) and now my light wind kite is a Psycho 4 19m (which turns like a semi truck and scares me in the gusts).
For starters, Epic got right back to me when I inquired about a demo. I've tried getting demos from a few other companies and unfortunately never even got a response.

I've gotten in 2 days on the Infinity with great spring corn snow conditions and our usual flukey mountain wind at 10-11k feet elevation. I managed about 70 miles of kite skiing, 1/2 on the Infinity, 1/2 on my old trusty Kahoona 11.5. Both days gave a good range of wind testing conditions from Beaufort 0-5. Here's the quick synopsis:
Beaufort 0-1: Kite sat on the ground with 100% depower!
Beaufort 2: It was real easy to get the kite to roll over for self/re-launch. I was pretty amazed at how light the kite felt, due to the thin struts and LE. It seemed easy to keep in the sky, but my old Kahoona feels this way too. The great thing I like about the Infinity is how responsive it is to a little bar input. It turns really quickly and will loop whenever you want it too. On corn snow I could cruise nicely and even get upwind. With a little extra puff, little jumps were great and the kite would easily redirect. I can't get any air on my 11.5 in these types of winds.
Beaufort 3: Being a fatty (200 lbs), this is where the kite and all that canopy was just perfect for me. Huge jumps with great floaty hangtime. I found the timing easy and the kite was fast enough to help me recover when I sent it too far, etc. Nice steady pull through downloop jump transitions. Bar pressure is perfect.
Beaufort 4: At this point, I could still tack back and forth, but was pretty scared to pull the trigger you know. The pull/pull trim strap is nice. I did test the mini-5th line safety once and it seemed to work okay. Re-ride was easy. Personally I still haven't learned to trust mini-5th lines and think that a full single-front line safety will be safer when it truly gets nasty. I probably could have continued riding a bit more, but didn't want to destroy and pay for a kite that's not even mine! Two other guys managed to continue riding 14m and 13.5 meter kites. I self-landed the Infinity on the side with a big aggressive pull on the top front line. (At least the mini-fifth is short enough to allow one to get to the Y.). After that I pumped up the old 11.5 Kahoona and was lit up on that, so there's plenty of overlap in those sizes.

A few things I didn't like: The primary safety seemed much too difficult to release, especially with gloves on. More knots on back line pigtails for trimming please. The big frumpy pack seemed useless, but the lightweight shoulder-sling kite sock is really good. (Ozone makes the only killer snowkite pack I've seen.) Any 16m tube is probably more than I want to skin uphill with for over an hour, so I'll stick with my under-powered foil for the backcountry. But for anything close to the road, it really fits my riding style and handles flukey winds just fine.

Overall, the Infinity felt big when unrolling and inflating, but once you walk your lines away and launch, the kite was quick and compact even at the low end. At the high end the thing was way less sketchy in the gusts than the 19m Flysurfer. Shameless Plug: Someone please buy my Psycho 4 in the 2nd hand section so before my demo runs out at the end of the week! I'd love to keep the Infinity but my wife will skin me alive if I don't liquidate first. Looks like we might get a shot of snow tonight so hopefully I'll have a chance to get the Inifinity in the deep pow yo-

Thanks again to Epic for the great remote demo program. It seems as if there has been a lot of harsh words around the forum lately, so it was so great to hear the kite speak for itself-
Matt
I don't know if you guys are familiar with "Beaufort" measurement but this is the conversion between Beaufort and Knots.
Beaufort 1 is 1-3 knots
Beaufort 2 is 3.7-7.5 knots
Beaufort 3 is 8-12.5 knots
Beaufort 4 is 13-18.6 knots (this guy is crazy...I can't beleive he is still alive to write this review especially on the snow)
And by the way guys, the INFINITY V2 is not a 16 meter kite.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

This video is about having fun with my 3 friends in very very light wind conditions on the INFINITY V3 and the 11 feet SUP board. I had a problem keeping the SUP board going straight. The SUP board wanted to go side ways because of its small fin and long surface, but at least we had a blast and got wet until it was time to get back home for dinner.
The funny thing is before I went out, my wife asked me what I was doing!!! So I told her I was going for a ride with the dogs and the INFINITY V3. Her response was: "But there is no wind!!!!" I proved her wrong.

YOUTUBE:

VIMEO:

Return to “Kitesurfing”