Favorite Beaches: Maroochydore and Noosa rivermouths
Style: Freeride, freestyle
Gear: Best nemisis 09, Takoon chrono 2010
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Big kiteloop backrolls

Postby Suncoast Kiter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I have the lighter wind ones down but when i seem to try them is 20knt plus i tend to over rotate and get slammed. Which is quite dawnting when i think of going for it. Is it better to rotate completely then pull the loop when doing really big high back rolls in strong wind? When i do them in lighter wind 15knts, i pull the bar while im still backwards and the kiteloop does the rest. Any advice to prevent further injury would be great. Cos i love going big!!

locofighter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vrouwenpolder, Neeltje Jans, both in the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Bloubergh, South-Africa. Lots of stuff to do, and so much kiting
Style: freeriding
Gear: Naish Torch '12/13 7/9/14
Slingshot Vision 140/43 2015 with RAD boots

Re: Big kiteloop backrolls

Postby locofighter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah I have the same problem.
One tip: Keep your board on your feet or completely off. Once I crashed a bigger one with one foot in and it ruined my whole session because I did it in the first 10 minutes.

When I go bigger I just rotate slower, Idk about others.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm

rotate slower, easier said than done :)

i have this same problem every now and then when going big with this trick. it helps me to think jump first, then rotate, do not lean with your shoulder into the wind, and do not release the board too much on the wind but release it sooner (dont know if it makes sense what i say).

do not think backroll, think straight jump then rotate after takeoff. i also want to know what others say

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:44 am

Slow down your back roll rotation
But loop the kite fast when you start seeing the up wind view (don't look at the kite!)
The kite loop power will bring you to complete the body rotation.
After rotation and kite loop. if you are still in the air,try to keep the kite near zenith and the bar close to your body until you touch down or maybe initiate another counter loop if you see your self flying into the kite so fast.This will prevent the kite overflown into the other side of wind window.(result is losing power with the kite nose down)
If you still land with locked in high speed down wind, then adjust the bar so that entire leading edge facing upwind at zenith or start a small jump to neutralize that freaking power!!!.
This is only a simple general tip, there are thousand other ways of doing back roll kite loops when you discovered which segments of the wind window you had initiated the loop as your wind hemisphere also moving along with your speed and direction while you are in the air.
You might feel everything blur at first,but then you will eventually gain localization visual with more practice.
Hope this help,good luck with your dream to become Rubin.
PS: the real thrill feeling start when the power kinda shoot you horizontally,Stay calm!
Last edited by aircatcher on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 am

Yes I would have to agree, go full speed and try to focus on just getting air, and then go for the backroll and than the loop half way thou. But if you want it big, don´t wait to long with the loop!
And no there´s no point in trying to slow down the rotation, ones the kite loops you will be pulles around quick no matter what, but maybe try to get less rotation. It´s more like initiating a slow laid out backroll in stead of more like a flip. Had some insane ones yesterday btw in 40knots, man it can be scary when the gusts kicks in as well ;)

Here´s a fairly new thread about it:
viewtopic.php?t=2372049&p=713759

This one is not that big, but anyway:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 am

Exactly - you should initiate your jump with only very little turn/rotation "upwind".

Which means, you barely rotate at all - just a slight "idea" that you want to head upwind, and thats it - and dont look over your shoulder (yet) :thumb:

Because, you will get the rotation when you pull the bar (and turn your head around) 8)

So my advice is to wait looking over your shoulder - this way you can initiate the jump with almost no rotation, which is essential :naughty:

:D Peter

artbrushing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Podersdorf/Neusiedlersee
Favorite Beaches: Podersdorf
Breitenbrunn (both Neusiedlersee in Austria)
Style: Freestyle, Freeride/ Oldschool
Gear: Bladekites (Trigger and Fat Lady)
Move Kiteboards (brandnew on market)
Brand Affiliation: Blade

Postby artbrushing » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:04 pm

What also helps: SHORT LINES
I used 20m lines and now I ride with 18m :naughty: sooooooooooooo cooooooooool :naughty:

Today I have tried it the first time with my Trigger 10m² (2011) :thumb: very cool.
If you love looping, check you short lines. (with extensions to a normal linelength)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Suncoast if your wind is anything like mine, I think your problem is just a case of getting enough practice in. When 20+ wind comes I get anxious because I know that I have to try all my high wind stuff that day, never have time to really relax and get my timing down.

I really need to book a trip to hatty or brazil so I can get a week or two of good wind. That way I can relax.

Might be your problem too, the good wind is too rare to really relax and get good practice in.

Suncoast Kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maroochydore, Kawana
Favorite Beaches: Maroochydore and Noosa rivermouths
Style: Freeride, freestyle
Gear: Best nemisis 09, Takoon chrono 2010

Postby Suncoast Kiter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 am

edt wrote:Suncoast if your wind is anything like mine, I think your problem is just a case of getting enough practice in. When 20+ wind comes I get anxious because I know that I have to try all my high wind stuff that day, never have time to really relax and get my timing down.

I really need to book a trip to hatty or brazil so I can get a week or two of good wind. That way I can relax.

Might be your problem too, the good wind is too rare to really relax and get good practice in.
Yeah i totally agree....when the wind is on i get excited and go out there pulling kite loops left right and centre. Take a few beatings but then sometimes i just get it all right and land it. I also agree rotate as little as possible but i have come unstuck trying this when i have not rotated enough and was pulled backwards!!! It does take practice getting just the right amount of rotation to suit the wind conditions. I guess i am more used to the 15-20knots here on the sunshine coast and when it does get start blowing 25-30knots i go out there kitelooping like it 15-20. Practice makes perfect!!! bring on a windy summer of kite looping!! :thumb:

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 am

I Like to jump and only do half a rotation and turn my upper body "head and shoulders" so I am facing the kite. Let your legs extend out when the kite yanks so it's easier to pull in for landing. Jmo! Wayne

Return to “Kitesurfing”