Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to survive the months during which you do not kitesurf?

Forum for kitesurfers
mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to survive the months during which you do not kitesu

Postby mx5alan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:49 pm

pwnd550 wrote:I'm 15 and I kite about 2 months a year (every windy day during those 2 months), which is really bad since I began kiting last year, but kitesurf remains my favorite sport/activity there is, it's my passion. I spend most of my freetime watching videos, reading forums, and looking at kites/boards.
How can I do to "survive" the many months I don't kitesurf? Any tips is appreciated :)
as already posted - Kite Landboarding (aka KiteATB)

This could be perfect for LA

plenty of Freeway bridges... :wink:

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 pm

mx5alan wrote:
as already posted - Kite Landboarding (aka KiteATB)

This could be perfect for LA

plenty of Freeway bridges... :wink:
NIIICE Thats a good idea! It´s dark over here at 17 now :( but that stuff could work in the afternoon

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:11 am

indeed rope riding is fun. Not as much fun as actual landboarding with a kite. but fun none the less.

If your worried about crashes landboarding get a helmet and knee and elbow pads. maybe even crash shorts.

Sure you can't kite with as reckless abandon as on the water. But a by product of that is t smaller things are more extreme/thrilling. 6-10 foot up on land is hardcore and super intense. stuff in up and go to the hospital. 6-10 foot up on the water is pretty damn lame. you need to be 20-30 foot up to get the same thrill on water.

I've posted this in the land section. but here it is again. My dune riding. Damn insane amounts of fun. 40m glides down the side of a sand dune.... oh freaken yeah. Beats a crappy underpowered session on the water any day.

Last edited by plummet on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:26 am

plummet wrote:indeed rope riding is fun. Not as much fun as actual landboarding with a kite. but fun none the less.

If your worried about crashes landboarding get a helmet and knee and elbow pads. maybe even crash shorts.

Sure you can't kite with as reckless abandon as on the water. But a by product of that is t smaller things are more extreme/thrilling. 6-10 foot up on land is hardcore and super intense. stuff in up and go to the hospital. 6-10 foot up on the water is pretty damn lame. you need to be 20-30 foot up to get the same thrill on water.

I've posted this in the land section. but here it is again. My dune riding. Damn insane amounts of fun. 40m glides down the side of a sand dune.... oh freaken yeah. Beats a crappy underpowered session on the water any day.

[vimeo]www.vimeo.com/31279185[/vimeo]
Actually I disagree 20-30ft is boring just floating back down. Kite low lots of power is far more fun to me and challenging to get in your rotations.

As far as the land boarding goes it would be really good for you to learn kite control and the ability to feel the kite. The rope stuff is pretty gay in my opinion. If you do it and like it good for you. Then again I live in the Houston area and we get about 9 months of wind and have a cable park now. I might entertain the bridge crap if I was not so fortunate.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

TheJoe wrote:
plummet wrote:indeed rope riding is fun. Not as much fun as actual landboarding with a kite. but fun none the less.

[vimeo]www.vimeo.com/31279185[/vimeo]
Actually I disagree 20-30ft is boring just floating back down. Kite low lots of power is far more fun to me and challenging to get in your rotations.

As far as the land boarding goes it would be really good for you to learn kite control and the ability to feel the kite. The rope stuff is pretty gay in my opinion. If you do it and like it good for you. Then again I live in the Houston area and we get about 9 months of wind and have a cable park now. I might entertain the bridge crap if I was not so fortunate.
Well the point i was trying to make is you get similar thrills going less extreme on the land because the risk factor is alot higher.

But i see your point. personally i'm not into wake style. its not my thing. So a 20-30 foot air is more appealing to me... then again that would get pretty boring after a while on flat water. Luckily i'm endowed with waves and jumping off, over and landing on waves is much more interesting than a basic flat water launch.

It would be interesting to see hardcore wake style mixed with wave riding in big waves.

ps not cable park near me so thats not an option for this white man.

arth
Rare Poster

Postby arth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 am

[quoteHow can I do to "survive" the many months I don't kitesurf? Any tips is appreciated ][/quote]

Why not reading good books, meeting friends, watching movies, going to museums, making other sports?... Kiting, although passionating, is not the only thing to do in your life. Stay open minded... :wink:

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:50 pm

This is alot of fun with a long board and trainer kite. If you find some bigger parking lots that are smooooth, it doesnt take much wind at all.

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 am

plummet wrote:I've posted this in the land section. but here it is again. My dune riding. Damn insane amounts of fun. 40m glides down the side of a sand dune.... oh freaken yeah. Beats a crappy underpowered session on the water any day.
Nice Video, but we have problems in UK as Dunes are 'protected areas' so flying on them may get kiting banned at the beach. Empty beach cruising like at the start of the video is cool - Park and ride with whistling lines and the sound of sand coming of the wheels and hitting the board.... :cool2:

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 am

RDM wrote:
ralfiboy wrote:But for real tho, landboarding is for kooks.
.... :o

Would you go mountainboarding on short grass with a 7m Vegas in 30knts, jump huge and loop the kite!!! landing way downwind with a butter smooth touch down......
Like this..... 8)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 am

...and what months would that be? The month of Flembember?

Return to “Kitesurfing”