accident with helmets

Forum for kitesurfers
Noo Noo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: accident with helmets

Postby Noo Noo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:16 am

Hang on, hang on. Helmets are fine. No problem with them from me BUT helmets do not prevent the accident from happening they CAN only reduce the potential harm arising from the accident.

Our first and primary concern should be reducing the risk of an accident in the first place. Looking at things like weather, kook proof connectors, training, checking your gear before you launch and keeping your kit in good condition. There are a host of others too.

Helmets are fine but they are a last resort in reducing harm. Yes wear them but address the other issues as well.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Noo Noo wrote:Hang on, hang on. Helmets are fine. No problem with them from me BUT helmets do not prevent the accident from happening they CAN only reduce the potential harm arising from the accident.

Our first and primary concern should be reducing the risk of an accident in the first place. Looking at things like weather, kook proof connectors, training, checking your gear before you launch and keeping your kit in good condition. There are a host of others too.

Helmets are fine but they are a last resort in reducing harm. Yes wear them but address the other issues as well.
Not fully sure this is always the case...

Helmets are NOT a last resort for reducing harm - when you have chosen a specific sport.
It is often a necessity in order to get way higher (or full) chances of survival :naughty:

Like motocross freestyle jumping and white water kayaking in rocky waters and so on 8)

And when you ride waves, kitesurfing, you KNOW that there is a risk you might get your board (or anothers surfboard) in the head, and take the ticket (if no helmet).
The risk is way higher than when surfing, as you can not (dont) keep your arms over your head to protect it - like you sometimes do when surfing and you get tumbled with your board in a closeout wave :wink: And the wind will also make the risk of getting a "board hit" much higher.

We have seen a lot of cases where kitesurf waveriders has been "away" and unconscious for a few seconds, after the hit.
No drowning/deaths here yet though (lucky) - but because of this - we are many who wear helmets in waves now 8)
Not in extremely small waves, but even from when they are only 3-4 feet and steep, the board can tumble around and you get bonked unconscious (leash or no leash - does not matter) :(

Here you can not do anything to avoid this from happening now and then - so a helmet is a choice that can be taken to avoid this risk or fully remove the risk, and not a "last resort to reduce harm".

Meaning - getting hit by your board is not an "accident" as I see it - it is something that WILL happen and happens now and then, and just a part of the sport :thumb:
And every riders individual choice whether he/she will take the chance or not :wink:

I know what you mean when you write that steps should be taken to avoid accidents from happening, and fully agree with you.
But there are still many cases where the choice of using a helmet is THE answer :thumb:

:D Peter

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:05 pm

I disagree.

My point is that protective equipment is the last resort and can only, potentially, reduce the severity of an accident. They do not prevent the accident from happening in the first place. In your example, a helmet would not prevent a board impact it only reduces the chance of being hurt by it. You are still hit by the board.

Either way there is a lot of sense in wearing them and the fact that they are the last line of defense they should not be ignored.

:bye:

McAbe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed

Postby McAbe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Why not make top hat helmets, that way you will be both cool and protected :D

But seriously, I think they could make kite helmets thinner and lighter, it only need to protect from impact with a board.
Current helmets seems to be made for a full speed crash into a brick wall.

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm

If I was going to wear a helmet kiting it would be a bern or protec eg http://www.bernunlimited.com/Products/H ... etType=H2O I think that one looks pretty cool

on topic somewhat here's a girl wearing a helmet for you:

I wear a helmet for cable wakeboarding but not for kiting or boat riding, unless I'm hitting obstacles in which case I'd rather be safe than sorry. I might consider it for big big waves too but until I get out in some real monsters then I don't see the point (and no I don't need to be told why I'm wrong so save it, I've heard the arguments before and you won't change my mind) :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Noo Noo wrote:I disagree.

My point is that protective equipment is the last resort and can only, potentially, reduce the severity of an accident. They do not prevent the accident from happening in the first place. In your example, a helmet would not prevent a board impact it only reduces the chance of being hurt by it. You are still hit by the board.

Either way there is a lot of sense in wearing them and the fact that they are the last line of defense they should not be ignored.

:bye:
You are right about that.

Maybe we just have different views on the term accident ?

My point was, that for some sports and specific situations, you can not do "more" to prevent some bruises now and then - as it is a thing that goes with the sport.
You know for sure you will get hit by the board now and then, so I would never refer to this as an accident - but just a natural thing that occurs easily and regularly, when tumbling !

If you dont wear a helmet, and get knocked out or hit heavily - then I would call it a very likely and somewhat self-inflicted accident, well, almost just a matter of time :-?
If you wear a helmet, and still get injured or knocked out in the surf, THEN I would call it an accident :wink:

Otherwise it is simply something that goes with the sport, and (IMO) has to be taken into account :naughty:

Just like when you wipe out and fall off your board after a turn or a jump or whatever you are doing - it is not referred to as an "accident", even though it was not desired nor on purpose - just something, maybe slightly painful, that happens now and then and and its fine:rollgrin:

:D Peter

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:50 pm

I agree with what you're saying Frank. We're getting into the foggy world of risk assessment here :cry:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Noo Noo wrote:I agree with what you're saying Frank. We're getting into the foggy world of risk assessment here :cry:
True - it is a "grey" zone :roll: :o :naughty:

:D PF

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:05 pm

I like helmets But stopped wearing one due to a injury I sustained while wearing one. I got dragged through the water at a high rate of speed head first, kite was in a F-16 death spiral, I think the extra width of the helmet caused my wiplash, its been 3 years and still having problems with my neck.
Still wear one when launching at narly launches or weather. Now I just use and lose hats.

2tall
Medium Poster

Postby 2tall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Surfed for years, never had a board hit me in the head like kitesurfing.

I got bonked good because the wind was 30-35mph and when I wiped out, I caught air, board came off upwind of me and smacked me. It wasn't because I fell on the board, it was the wind flipping a light surfboard downwind...unfortunately, I was in its path.

It was just scary being stunned like that and laying in the water. I could totally see how a drowning could happen.

The other issue for me...I launch/land near rocks and trees. I'm a helmet convert. I would never tell anyone else what to do, I just want to do this for many more years, and I like to be able to chew my food instead of being fed through a tube.

Return to “Kitesurfing”