Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Nomad 2011 Relaunch and other comments!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemare123
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Nomad 2011 Relaunch and other comments!!!

Postby Kitemare123 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm thinking of buying a couple of 2011 Nomads, 9 and 11 metres. The kites would be primarily for me, but my girlfriend would also be using them occasionally.

I like to unhook and go for some flat 3s, but also like a kite which boosts with some nice hang time. My girlfriend is still learning.

I have ridden the 2011 Switchblade a few times and really liked it. I can pick up the Nomads for a great price and from what I have read, they should suit me great.

The only problem is that I have read that the relaunch is terrible. This would be a problem for my girlfriend dropping the kite all of the time and also for me as I like to go for new things and often the kite ends up in the water!!! :oops:

I often ride in light-ish winds...what kind of bottom end does the 11 Nomad have?

Thanks

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Re: Cabrinha Nomad 2011 Relaunch and other comments!!!

Postby blacktip » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

I ride a 9m 2011. The incredible highend leaves you boosting big. 6 struts hybride shape keeps it stable. Lowend isnt that bad, just need to work it a bit more.

Yeah, relaunch isnt as good as the Switchblade. Especially in lighter winds. Pulling a leader line wont always get the kite back up. I see a lot of ppl trying to relaunch all sorts of kites in lighter winds by pulling the leaderline with little effect.
Its often best to just let go of the bar and swim a few good strokes towards your kite. The kite will quickly go on its back and you should be able to get it back up fairly easy.

For me the 9m Nomad lowend is comparible to an 8m Switchblade.
On my Nomads I do prefer the 'light' setting over the 'lighter' setting for riding in light winds. The lighter setting means quicker depower with less bar throw, but also makes it a bit more prone to backstall, thus killing the power.

goodluck

Kitemare123
Rare Poster

Postby Kitemare123 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks a lot

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Compared to the SB, the Nomad rides about a meter smaller. So the 11 Nomad is more like a 10 SB and the 9 Nomad is like an 8 SB.

Yes the Nomad sounds like a great kite for you but not your girlfriend. It is more difficult to relaunch. If the kite is powered, the relaunch is pretty good, but if the kite is not powered it becomes much more difficult to relaunch and I'll assume for awhile at least, your GF will not be kiting powered.

You'll both enjoy the SB

steve

windrider11
Rare Poster

Postby windrider11 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm looking to get a 2011 9M Nomad. So far I've been flying Switchblades and never really had a problem with relaunching them. Should I be worried about the relaunch issues? Also, I've heard some people saying something about problem with the lines or bar and getting them replaced? Any other news on that?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 am

Windrider..check your private messages
steve

5mmkiter
Medium Poster

Postby 5mmkiter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:22 am

I ride nomads and they are awesome kites and YOU will love them.

Do your girlfriend a favor and get her switchblades. Super easy and forgiving. Just sheet in and go!

I have seen a couple beginners who while riding nomads are struggling and not having any fun. But after been given a switchblade to try in the same session end of having one of their best sessions.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 am

I rode switchblades from 2007 and in 2010 I bought the 8m switchblade and 9m nomad to see what the fuss was all about. The kites are two totally different animals. Switchblade definitely relaunches easier and would be more suitable for a beginner. I found the switchblade had a bigger wind range, bit more grunty and more high end though the average pull of an 8m SB is very similar to a 9m nomad. Both kites jump equally well, the switchblade probably being a little more stable in the air. The nomad dominates on the waves though which is the main reason I switched over. I currently have a 5.5, 7, 9 nomads. I recently tried a 9m 2012 switchblade and think I'll stick with the nomads a while longer. Good luck and hope you enjoy which every kite you go with.

Xpower
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Style: big air, hang time, freeride

Postby Xpower » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Cabrinha nomad 2011 11m2
I ride in lakes, in continental winds.(i like hangtime, big air, sometimes freestyle) Is this kite good to this conditions? or suitable only for waves in sea?

Return to “Kitesurfing”