Regfellow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ribban
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman triming

Postby Regfellow » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Anyone got tip how to trim wainman bridle and lines for less bar pressure?

On the bridles where you put the frontlines there is 2 knots but only marked as center, any known effect doing frontlines longer or shorter by the 1-2 cm that there is between the knots.

brs,

M

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Re: Wainman trimming

Postby AmericanRonin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 pm

Not sure which model you have, but on mine there are colored tags that correspond to the knots, they're Black, Gray, and White. I never saw it expressly written down somewhere but I sort of deduced that you want the colors to match up so that the colored knot connects with the corresponding tag on the kite. Seemed to work for me. Wainmans are pretty grunty kites in the first place, I sort of just got used to the idea that a kite with that low of an aspect ratio is going to have some pretty significant bar pressure. Maybe someone else has found otherwise, but I sure haven't.

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cape Cod MA
West Dennis Inlet, Cape Cod MA
Puclaro, Chile
Anywhere in the Gorge or Oregon Coast
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless Surf Skim Wakeskate

Re: Wainman triming

Postby Chooch » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:59 pm

The closer your front and rear lines are to each other the heavier your bar pressure will be. So for the lightest bar pressure set your rear pigtails on the fast setting (tab closest to the trailing edge) and set your front line bridles on the upwind setting. That should give you the lightest bar pressure.

Regfellow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ribban

Postby Regfellow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 am

I got the new 2012. Now there is labels to; center, downwind, upwind, lightwind, strongwind. :)

I will try upwind setting. Should you set both optons on each side to upwind?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:47 am

Regfellow wrote:I got the new 2012. Now there is labels to; center, downwind, upwind, lightwind, strongwind. :)

You put the pigtail on the upwind and the bridal on the upwind know of the pigtail. I believe that is what your asking. As far as the lightwind strongwind I all ways just put it on the strongwind knot. I find that if you have it on any of the other knots the kites like to backstall. Now I only have 2010's and I keep my bars tuned.

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cape Cod MA
West Dennis Inlet, Cape Cod MA
Puclaro, Chile
Anywhere in the Gorge or Oregon Coast
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless Surf Skim Wakeskate

Postby Chooch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:15 am

Regfellow wrote:I got the new 2012. Now there is labels to; center, downwind, upwind, lightwind, strongwind. :)

Yes, move the pigtails on your kite to the upwind tab and move the bridle knot to the knot marked upwind.

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:35 am

On the center lines....connect to the first knot--closet to you, furthest away from the kite. WH gave us two options here in case your lines get stretched out. This makes it easier to even out you lines.

As far as bar pressure goes, you will feel more pressure in two ways.
1. The most significant change in bar pressure will come from your rear lines. Set those to fast for the least amount of bar pressure and light winds for the most power. They lengthened the setting to make sure the kites don't back stall in the 2.0s. However, I like a little backstall in the surf. You can still achieve this by making an additional knot...

2. Changing your center lines: Set your center lines to "upwind" if you want your kite to have more of an arch to it's turns, sail upwind a little bit better, boost a little higher, and give you a little more bar pressure. Or set it to "downwind" for more pivotal turns, sail deeper in the window, boost more horizontal, and a little less bar pressure. I personally leave mine at the stock setting because I think it's the best of both worlds.

Mike
www.airbornekiteboarding.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”