Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ct , Cape cod
Favorite Beaches: none yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dumb question .....

Postby dniez » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 pm

I m a kitesurfer that have yet to be on water . Took lesson in cape town got shorten because the wind kick up to 30. Took another lesson in miami got shorten the wind died . But I'm still hooked and will take more lesson beginning of 2012 . I come from the montain bike / triathlon world . So when I read the treads to get familiar with the in and out of kitesurfing I don't always get the tech part of it. Here is the dumb Q . bars look similar , lines are 25 meters , 4 or 5 line . Why can one maker kite be flown with another maker bar ?

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dumb question .....

Postby 72kiteboarder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:42 pm

The mechanics are pretty much all very similar. Like putting Handlebars from one Mountain Bike on another brand mountain bike.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Dumb question .....

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 pm

imagine, you have a two line kite which you fly with a bar.
Now you take another bar and attach it to the kite...what do you think will change?
Nothing!

BUT, some kites are designed differently, if it comes to 4 or 5 lines, or having higher or lower "Y" (where the depower lines separate).

That can make a difference, then special trimming is needed.

E.g., I wanted to fly an older 2008 North Vegas kite with a 2011 bar...didn't really work, because the trim of the Y changed over the years.

Some kites also require more power on a 5th line than others.

But 4 line kites and bars are pretty simple to use which each other. Maybe a bit power trim is needed, but basically will all work.

Good luck with the wind next time...you will love it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”