Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: 2012 Airush Lithiums
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Feeling of popping into a Raley

Postby noFriendsZA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi everyone

Just want some feedback, been trying to do some Raley's, but I can't seem to get the pop right.

What is the correct feeling? Edging really hard and around so you basically edge out of the water, or do you edge really hard and them "jump" forward?

All the videos etc I've watched it looks like they just edge really hard until the board releases its edge

Nico_1011
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Blowberg, Big Bay
Favorite Beaches: Big Biy
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle, Waveriding
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2011

Re: Feeling of popping into a Raley

Postby Nico_1011 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Are you struggling as in the board is coming off your feet (which often happens if you release similarly to a back roll) or you just aren't getting the air? :idea:

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Can you pop hooked in? Get the basic principle down and raleys will come really easy

I got my gayleys and backrolls down hooked in before going for proper raleys and it made life much easier in the long run because I knew how the actual pop technique felt :thumb:

noFriendsZA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Strand

Postby noFriendsZA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I can do backrolls and been practicing my backrolls to revert. Can do a normal pop + grab.

Think Im just not carrying enough speed and not committing 100% to the raley

I guess I just need more time on the water!

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Keep the kite low. Edge as hard as you can and then release the rail and let your legs and body follow. It may help to keep your arms stretched out a bit and press the bar towards the water when you release the rail.

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I think you mean bockroll to toeside. IMO revert is the same as wrapped. Well regarding the railey:

I pop as in a carve pop... I release perpendicular to the direction i am travelling. Edge - carve - pop. The windyer the easyer and keep your kite in 45 - 50 degrees in the beginning

3 raileys here. Pretty hard to see anything in the video butt if you watch in fullscreen it helps :bye:

noFriendsZA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Strand

Postby noFriendsZA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:43 pm

lol, yes, meant backroll to toeside

thanks for the help guys, think I definitely am not carrying enough speed when Im attempting it.

Going to a nice flat water spot the weekend, will give it some more tries there :thumb:

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

kas911 wrote:IMO revert is the same as wrapped.
No....no it's not
wakeboarder.com wrote:Revert: Used to describe landing Switch or Fakie. A Roll To Revert is a Back Roll with a 180 causing the rider to land backwards, or Revert.
http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/glossary.phtml

Yeah just go as fast as you can, thats how I learnt, then as you get the technique you'll find you don't need to ride as fast to get the pop. If you've got rolls and roll reverts then you shouldn't have any trouble, it's just a full commitment type of trick, you can't just half arse it when you're learning :thumb:

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:01 pm

IMO revert is the same as wrapped
again no it´s not. A back to revert is a backroll with a additional 180 landing toside. A back to wrapped is a backroll with a additional 360, landing heelside with your arm behind your back. Difference beteewn wrapped and blind is that a blind landing is toside with your arm/bar behind your back and wrapped then you land heelside with your arm/bar behind your back...

Everybody sais you need so much speed for the raily - well you´ll actually need less speed than most unhooked tricks like handlepasses... I would say - yes have some speed, than a lot of people mess up by going to far downwind when they unhook.... but if you think about unhooking and going downwind and poping as one single move - and just go for it right after you unhook - do not ride unhooked for long - it could help... Keep your kite low - to keep it there though out the whole move, keep your hands at the middle of the bar. Remember to trim your kite before trying... Many people try unhooked, and haven´t trimmed it first. The kite should be stable when you just unhook. You might need to pull in the depowerstrap a bit, for it to have the same tention on front and back lines. If you do this and just puch the board away from you and up in the air, you should be doing nice railys in no time ;)
Hope this helped! Good luck and have fun! :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 pm

yes, get speed! and then pop hard and don't do anything else, just stretch your body all the way (long arms), and the body does the rest. For a more controlled landing steer the kite up while you fly. Once you have the control of that landing, keep the kite lower and lower.
Don't forget, the stretched arms will make it looks stylish and look down same time.
Enjoy the feeling!

Return to “Kitesurfing”