Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Praia da Barra
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: how long rib injury?

Postby McAbe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:56 am

Cracked some ribs in a bad fall, had to body drag/ride for about 15min to get back to the beach :( , took about 2 monts before I could ride (carefully) again, 3 monts for the pain to pass.

Not recommended.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004

Postby aircatcher » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 am

AndrewJMcGee wrote:Thanks folks! 4-6 is what i figured. I was just starting to feel it. Here is the clip.. watch as i fail to keep my body straight. Then i fail to pull the correct bar, once i am backward. Then i get body slammed, and was fuzzy and blurry for a sec till i got my self together. Notice i pull left bar, and just before impact i realize wrong side, and pull right maybe saving my ribs from worse. Once i was backward time stopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_sBjaNqV8

Any advice?
Very clear shot footage that can be a text book example to learn what can go wrong in a kiteloop,next time if you encounter this situation again just try to pull the power rope above the bar to bring to kite up faster to get some lift power counter with gravity and momentum free fall force instead of locking your kite at one spot on the left like what we see in the video,i think it might helps also to bring the kite to the right at right amount so that lines tension will give some support power.Also more wind will probably helps when you can get more height so that the kite have enough time to go up to catch your free fall before you hit the water.It doesn't appears the wind was power enough in this video to make the water choppy.Stay cool, keep controlling the kite while getting the power shot horizontal is the greatest feeling you can get in kiteboarding.

Peter Campbell
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Hampton Beach, St Kilda, Brighton Beach, Port Phillip Bay, Victoria, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Victoria: Hampton Beach, Inverloch, Point Danger,
Queensland: 4 Mile Beach
Style: Waveriding, freestyle, cruising
Gear: Ben Wilson surf Noise 12m, Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, Cabrinha Crossbow 7m. Naish Haze twin tip, Cabrinha S-Quad kite surf.

See http://kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/ for more information

Postby Peter Campbell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 am

I broker a rear rib when I was bowled over by dog, lost my balance and fell backwards onto a veranda rail. First week was agony, pain killers and anti inflammatories. It gradually improved but was still quite sore at 3 weeks. I started some gently skateboarding which was OK, but and of week 4 it got worse again. Still no kiting.

At the end of week five I had my first kiting session wearing a seat harness. It was OK but I took it easy.

End of week 6 and its feeling good - another kiting session and even some yoga last night too. Still a little residual soreness but kiting is not a problem now.

The doctor said 4-6 weeks - which has turned out to be accurate.

Some further details are on my blog http://www.peterskiteboarding.com/, including a kitecam video of my last session.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:57 am

The wind was plenty... We kite in this spot because, its the glassyest, mirror flat water around. 40 knots or 15 knots it looks like that... The only reason i failed is because i hesitated. If i had pulled them all with convidence i would have made it. The kite was 6m switchblade. I feel like if i had pulled right bar, and got the kite to 12 i would have spun around. I dont think i could have landed that one, but i think i could of saved my body this pain.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:20 am

AndrewJMcGee wrote:...I feel like if i had pulled right bar, and got the kite to 12 i would have spun around. I dont think i could have landed that one, but i think i could of saved my body this pain.
Or you would have broken your legs or fucked up your knees...
Why taking the risk doing kite loops?! But this might be a heated discussion in another thread.
I see experienced and Pro kiters every day who screw up a kite loop every now and then.

Just out of interest- did you wear a vest?
I'm wearing one since a crash 2 years ago which was similar to that:

The result can be seen here:
ribs.jpg
ribs.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 619 times
It took 6 weeks until I could kite again (with a seat harness I borrowed). After 8 weeks I was totally fit (except those ribs poking out which will be with me for the rest of my life).

I hope you will feel better soon mate (6-8 weeks). :thumb:

Cheers
Caesar 8)

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Wow! So similar, but yours way bigger.. looked like you pulled wrong bar once backward. Then it looks like you accelerate, and get power bombed. I seriously feel that it was the extra drive from the kite pulling hortizontal that hurt us..

I think i am not sure...but if i had gotin the kite to 12 i would have swung under it. I feel like i would have had a chance to escape the drive downward into the water.

I had my kite come from 6oclock, to 11 or maybe even 10 oclock. I didnt have a chance.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004

Postby aircatcher » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:54 pm

There're 2 critical power stages in the air kiteloop besides the kite control,first one is a power shot horizontal briefly follow by a second free fall stage.Most accident happened during the first stage because people freaked out and lost control on the powerful horizontal pull,it happens so fast everything goes blurry at this stage, just like Bille said:
"QUIT Busting a Move, if Ya "Can't" see your exit !!!
It's suppose to be a Progression."

Faber
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby Faber » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 am

@ Cesar:
I got the same bump rib after a bad crash. I'm using a seat harness now.
Are you able to wear a seat harness again ?
Thanks
Faber

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Faber wrote:@ Cesar:
I got the same bump rib after a bad crash. I'm using a seat harness now.
Are you able to wear a seat harness again ?
Thanks
Faber
Hi Faber,

You mean waist harness? Yes, I'm using a waist harness (Prolimit FX). That's a fair bit smaller than the Cabrinha harness I used to wear in the past.
I don't like seat harnesses. They are squeezing my .....
I also wear an impact vest and had similar crashes afterwards but no more injuries.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 pm

What Vest brand were you wearing? I have one, but I hate it. I thought I would like it but I hate it. I need to have one that doesn't ride up.

My ribs and cartilage are not as bad as I felt they were. I will be back trying to hurt myself by February. I am going to seriously look into another vest. The days I put the 6m up in the slick to loop, I will be wearing one.

The way i landed I think the vest would have help me.

You got drilled again like that vid?

Return to “Kitesurfing”