Airush Vapor X 10m
Airush Vapor X 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2012 Naish Torch 10m

Postby justkid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Hey guys,
I've tried friend's 10m Torch and I love its unhooked performance. The only thing stopping me to consider these kites for myself is the behavior in simple situations. The kite managed to fly behind the head when it was at 12 and fell down between lines. I'd say it's ok if wind was gusty. But it wasn't. And wasn't lite as well. It was just perfect for unhooked. The other thing is water start in light wind. On his first way down the kite pulls me from water but then can't manage to fly upwards. Felt like a newbie with start problems. And the wind wasn't too lite again, it was enough to get height and jump downwind.
Don't want to believe it's expected behavior from the Torches. The one I've tried was with 2011 bar. Can it be the issue? Have anyone the same problems with 2012 kite and bar?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2012 Naish Torch 10m

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 am

justkid wrote:Hey guys,
I've tried friend's 10m Torch and I love its unhooked performance. The only thing stopping me to consider these kites for myself is the behavior in simple situations. The kite managed to fly behind the head when it was at 12 and fell down between lines. I'd say it's ok if wind was gusty. But it wasn't. And wasn't lite as well. It was just perfect for unhooked. The other thing is water start in light wind. On his first way down the kite pulls me from water but then can't manage to fly upwards. Felt like a newbie with start problems. And the wind wasn't too lite again, it was enough to get height and jump downwind.
Don't want to believe it's expected behavior from the Torches. The one I've tried was with 2011 bar. Can it be the issue? Have anyone the same problems with 2012 kite and bar?
Hmm, not seen that. I'd say if the lines are not right ie. too short 5th line, it might disturb the balance of the kite, but would not expect that at all.

I'm not sure if this is what you ask, but for relaunch, it is just pulling a little on the 5th, and one backline, the kite comes out easily even in super light winds.

justkid
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ukraine: Popovka, Koblevo
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius: Blue Bay, Le Morne
Style: freestyle
Gear: Aboards X series 131
Airush Vapor 3 7m
Airush Vapor X 10m
Airush Vapor X 12m

Postby justkid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 am

I wasn't about relaunch, it's always easy with 5 line setup. I was about starting from the water, when a kite is in the air and i'm sitting in the water

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am

justkid wrote:I wasn't about relaunch, it's always easy with 5 line setup. I was about starting from the water, when a kite is in the air and i'm sitting in the water
Oh wow that sounds weird. So if you dive the kite to go you cannot turn it back up?

That sounds like the back lines are too long / 5th is way too short. Definitely not normal behavior.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:49 am

Keep it low and in front of you unhooking. The torch backstalls a bit so pull in a bit of 5th line as a water drenched kite can make it worse.

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish

Postby Mike27 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am

What i saw on different beach is that the Torch has a tendency to bakstall if you do a mistake when jumping....and some time the 5th line roll around the kite !
It the reason i did not buy it.....good kite, but hate this 5th line and backstall tendency !

Furthermore when it hit the water, it is not so rigid, and if you have little wave or shore break it could be impossible to relauch it......

justkid
Rare Poster
Airush Vapor 3 7m
Airush Vapor X 10m
Airush Vapor X 12m

Postby justkid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:44 am

tautologies wrote:Oh wow that sounds weird. So if you dive the kite to go you cannot turn it back up?
Right. Will wait for 10m weather to try it with new 2012 bar. BTW, 7m 2011 Torch with that bar (2011 as well) doesn't have those issues.

justkid
Rare Poster
Airush Vapor 3 7m
Airush Vapor X 10m
Airush Vapor X 12m

Postby justkid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

Mike27 wrote:What i saw on different beach is that the Torch has a tendency to bakstall if you do a mistake when jumping....and some time the 5th line roll around the kite !
Are you mean send jumps? It happens when you act wrong with your board while release the water. However it's very friendly and forgiving unhooked. You can perform some tricks half-speed when you learn them and it still gives you enough pop.

KE
Medium Poster

Postby KE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi

Love the kite.
High jumps, forgiving, and really smooth unhooked.
The only issue I find is the front stalling when at 12 o'clock.
A friend of mine has a 11m and its the same issue.

Now when I am aware of it its not a problem, but was supprised the first time i tried it. I think its the first time I had this problem since the naish X3 ;)

8m no problem what so ever!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:43 pm

KE wrote:Hi

Love the kite.
High jumps, forgiving, and really smooth unhooked.
The only issue I find is the front stalling when at 12 o'clock.
A friend of mine has a 11m and its the same issue.

Now when I am aware of it its not a problem, but was supprised the first time i tried it. I think its the first time I had this problem since the naish X3 ;)

8m no problem what so ever!

Maybe I just haven't left it a 12 enough? Torch is definitely not the kite I've ridden the most. I think my biggest issue so far has been getting spanked trying to loop it and messing up :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”