Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Cabarete any ideas?

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 am

Hey ya'll, I'm planning a trip with some buddies to Cabarete in July prob around the 5th or 6th for 7 days, any ideas of cheap, safe hostel style stay?

Someone mentioned Casa Blanca (http://www.casablancacabarete.com) I honestly don't think it can get cheaper than this, and looks really nice and cool, but I've heard some stories of locals stealing your gear (Board/Kites) from the rooms and then selling them back to you. any truth to this?

Anyone had some bad experience(s) we can all learn from? Any hotel/hostel ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabarete any ideas?

Postby seanflex » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:40 am

pixelpedro wrote:Hey ya'll, I'm planning a trip with some buddies to Cabarete in July prob around the 5th or 6th for 7 days, any ideas of cheap, safe hostel style stay?

Someone mentioned Casa Blanca (http://www.casablancacabarete.com) I honestly don't think it can get cheaper than this, and looks really nice and cool, but I've heard some stories of locals stealing your gear (Board/Kites) from the rooms and then selling them back to you. any truth to this?

Anyone had some bad experience(s) we can all learn from? Any hotel/hostel ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance
hello pîxelpedro, we always stay at the windam tangerin http://tinyurl.com/7oypuhc.
really nice place, you have all what you need at your finger tips. And no I havent herd about stolen quiver. I saw alot of kite and boards sitting on the balconies and I was surprised that this guy left his stuff there all week at ground level. I would recommend this place to anybody.

sean

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:53 am

seanflex wrote:
pixelpedro wrote:Hey ya'll, I'm planning a trip with some buddies to Cabarete in July prob around the 5th or 6th for 7 days, any ideas of cheap, safe hostel style stay?

Thanks in advance
hello pîxelpedro, we always stay at the windam tangerin http://tinyurl.com/7oypuhc.
really nice place, you have all what you need at your finger tips. And no I havent herd about stolen quiver. I saw alot of kite and boards sitting on the balconies and I was surprised that this guy left his stuff there all week at ground level. I would recommend this place to anybody.

sean

Tnx for the reply Sean, this is actually the pace where one of my buddies told me someone they know, had their board sold back to them. What are the rates like? do you know? can't find anything about it. I guess I can call them during the week.

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces

Postby seanflex » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:02 am

really.. I have not herd of stolen goods from this place..
I have some buddies that left this morning and they payed 905$ and i usually go at the end of feb and we pay +/- 870$ for a week.
Its the nicest reasonable place at cabarete, I think. I havent stayed at the other places but you do pay for what you get. I know there are other nice places at kitebeach aswell but never been there, only kited there.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 pm

That's not bad, although a bit more than what I'd like to spend, I just don't see myself spending any more than, say $45/night, since I expect to only come to sleep and shower, I'm going to kite, and that's what I plan on doing, kitting all day if the weather permits.

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Hey,

I've been to cab a few times. The first time I went, I stayed at Ali's Surf Camp. Cheap hostels, kiter/surfer friendly, and the accommodations usually come with two meals from the restaurant there (at least they did when I was there). Nice place, good way to meet other travelers and find a group to party with.

The second two times I went, I stayed at a place called Wind Chime, which is a privately owned condo complex. I rented a studio from them for three weeks for four hundred U.S. Really nice accommodations and can also be a good way to meet other kiters (though not as easy since Wind Chime doesn't include food).

Wind Chime was nicer and closer to town. Ali's had a restaurant and was easier to meet people in. Could go either way I suppose. Never had a problem with people stealing my gear from my room but I usually left it locked up at Kite Club so maybe that's why. I did take a nasty spill in the surf one time and lost my brand new Wainman board to the current. Word got out among the locals that I'd lost it and they dispatched a small army to hunt it down. Some little kid came up to me with it not even an hour later and demanded 2000 pesos for its return. I gave him a thousand (he would've gotten nothing more than a couple of hundred if my knee wasn't dislocated at the time) and told him to piss off. I suppose I ought to have been thankful, he could have very well just kept it for himself and never told anyone he found it; but at the time I was so indignant about my board being held ransom that gratefulness wasn't high on my list of presently-felt emotions.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 am

Extreme hotel is right on kite beach, $50 per night, but no AC.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 pm

What's the budget range for say, five days in Cabarete exclusive of airfare? Including accommodations, food, tips, taxi, etc.? I'm looking for ballpark ideas of what the whole thing actually adds up to.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey guys thanks all for your suggestions and comments, so far I think Xtreme is the coolest, but Casablanca or the surf camp is the cheapest, at about $20-$35 per night, depending on if you want or need a bathroom or not. they all charge $35 to and from the airport (POP) so that's standard I think A/C is non-existent in these hostels styles stays, but who cares, I think the breeze makes sure that you're cooled, and if not, get hammered before going to bed ... lol (I don't drink, but for those of you that do, is an option, lol)

@ William Munney: I'm budgeting about $500 for a week (that's 7 days), that should cover stay, trasport, and food ($140 for a week stay ($20/night), $10 Dominican Tourist visa card, $70 (transport to and from POP, $84 meals (twice at $6 each, average, I've heard), $20 some fruit at the local market). Leaving me with about $175 for 1 or 2 meals a day, some drinks, and a trip to La Boca (Hopefully), and some spare cash in case I run into my girl Susi Mai (LOL) I'd like to buy her a drink or two and chat her up.

I think the expensive thing is the freaking airfare, I mean $502 from Miami, considering I could probably kayak my way to Cabarete (LOL). I think airfare is so expensive nowadays, my friend just went to Puerto rico for a long weekend, for $80 round trip, now granted, he could take squat, but he paid an extra $50 for climbing gear, and that was it, but everywhere else in the Caribbean is so darn expensive.

The other option is fly to Santiago and take a bus, but not really knowing how it all works I'm hesitant, as I may endup paying just as much, if not more than flying directly into POP.

I've heard of this guy (a few pilots do it) in Ft. Lauderdale that has his own plane, and for about $100, "IF" he's going there, will take you to the DR or any of the islands he's planning on landing on. I've been searching but so far, urban myth or something.

Good luck, looks like a cool place to hit our dead season for a week or less, not sure how cost effective though.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 pm

BTW I'm planning on going the week of the 4th of July maybe thurs the 5th or fri the 6th for 7 days, if anyone is interested in hooking up over there and pool for a cheaper or better option, I'm all ears.

Return to “Kitesurfing”