vannibombonato
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trip to Dakhla in April: suggestions needed

Postby vannibombonato » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Dears,
i'm considering to spend a week first week of April in Dakhla, Morocco, and looking for suggestions.

1- I'd like to have the most comfortable accomodation possible, compatibly with the fact that we're talking of a rather underdeveloped place. To be clear....no tents, and private WC please :-)
2- Kite is the priority: in the ideal world i wake up, have breakfast, walk 10 meters, rig up and go. Looking for wind and flat water. I'm at intermediate level.
3- I'll likely be travelling alone: obviously don't care about nightlife and sorts, still, it would be nice if i can have a beer at dinner time and have a chat with some chaps.
4- i'll need internet access for working reasons.
5- Money, unless we're talking about too much, is the last priority.
6- I'm 33 :-)

Any suggestions on the place is more than welcome, trips to do, downwinders, etc.

Kisses,

Vanni

Motion
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force, Blade

Re: Trip to Dakhla in April: suggestions needed

Postby Motion » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Cray
Medium Poster

Postby Cray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 am

vannibombonato wrote: 1- I'd like to have the most comfortable accomodation possible, compatibly with the fact that we're talking of a rather underdeveloped place. To be clear....no tents, and private WC please :-)
2- Kite is the priority: in the ideal world i wake up, have breakfast, walk 10 meters, rig up and go. Looking for wind and flat water. I'm at intermediate level.
3- I'll likely be travelling alone: obviously don't care about nightlife and sorts, still, it would be nice if i can have a beer at dinner time and have a chat with some chaps.
4- i'll need internet access for working reasons.
5- Money, unless we're talking about too much, is the last priority.
6- I'm 33 :-)
1. Hotel Calipau Dakhla:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... akhla.html

If you take a better room it's pretty comfy and nice in Afro-Marocco style. French brekfast tho :(. But remember this is Sahara, if you want Hilton rent a yaht and park in the lagoon.

2. Rent a car and drive to lagoon. No wake & ride available for comfy level.

3. Kite & chill @ skyriders http://www.myskyriders.com/en/destinati ... 26/genInfo. _Very_ good fruit salads in Dakhla center. A must if you like fruits.

4. Sorry :-(. Buy local GPRS SIM card / USB Adapter && climb Calipau roof. Maybe they improved something this year.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:52 am

Dahkla Attitude has all this, private chalets, wifi, beer etc

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Spend a week building sand castles last year April in Dakhla. Check the wind forecasts and be ready to butt out timely.

Travellingkiter
Rare Poster

Postby Travellingkiter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah dakhla attitude is good, take a bungalow n its comfier! As last post said went again may 20th last year n had no wind for 3 days, way it goes as the year before it was mental.......

vannibombonato
Medium Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 am

El Rudo wrote:Spend a week building sand castles last year April in Dakhla.
Ok...this is what could get my suicide...in theory wind % is statistically 80%...was it that bad? By the way, exactly in the same period the PKRA event is programmed.

Couple of more things:
1- Are shoes really needed for kiting? I obviously hate them, but i'd hate more to cut my feet....
2- What would you guys suggest between the Dakhla attitude and the Club Mistral,all considered (position in the lagoon, facilities, people, etc.).

Thanks a lot!

Vanni

OceanVagabondDakhla
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dakhla
Favorite Beaches: Morocco, Africa
Style: Waves, freeride, freestyle

Postby OceanVagabondDakhla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 am

vannibombonato wrote:
Couple of more things:
1- Are shoes really needed for kiting? I obviously hate them, but i'd hate more to cut my feet....
2- What would you guys suggest between the Dakhla attitude and the Club Mistral,all considered (position in the lagoon, facilities, people, etc.).

Thanks a lot!

Vanni

Hey Vanni

:D , the best fun takes place in Ocean Vagabond Dakhla and we have super comfortable bungalows with private bathroom and all you need to have a super experience!
You can check out facilities on this video - http://vimeo.com/34402350

You can also have a look at our 3d tour of our place - http://www.oceanvagabond.com/visite3d-en.html

If you have any questions or requirements - contact us @ http://www.oceanvagabond.com/contact-en.html

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 am

It was, we had two or so really underpowered light wind sessions, I brought the 13m Rise and had some fun looping it but some of my buddies only brought 12m and smaller.

I was at the Attitude, people are OK, food is great and no shoes needed. Cabins are super. The camp is close to sand banks an has the best variety in terrain close by, but nothing you can't access from the other camps.

Be careful with some of the locals, they can trick you out of some serious cash with damaged or lost (rental) gear. A Belgian bloke was confronted with that other side of Moroccan hospitality. Had to pay new to replace a 10yrs old board that got stolen off the beach - you wonder by whom.
We had an unpleasant petty extortion experience over luggage in Casablanca Airport, by airport officials who jointly misinterpreted baggage labels and made us pay twice for the same board bag. Luckily the travel agent got it back for us.
vannibombonato wrote:
Ok...this is what could get my suicide...in theory wind % is statistically 80%...was it that bad? By the way, exactly in the same period the PKRA event is programmed.

Couple of more things:

Thanks a lot!

Vanni
Last edited by El Rudo on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

OceanVagabondDakhla
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dakhla
Favorite Beaches: Morocco, Africa
Style: Waves, freeride, freestyle

Postby OceanVagabondDakhla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 am

Sorry to hear you did not get no wind!!! :(
Ha yeah wind is a random thing, if only we could make it happen when and where we want it

For low or no wind days we have organised ourselves so we can offer plenty options from fishing, to SUP, to surfing if there is a swell, local excursions in the Sahara or our friend's oyster farm, etc

Return to “Kitesurfing”