Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Trip to Dakhla in April: suggestions needed

Forum for kitesurfers
vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Trip to Dakhla in April: suggestions needed

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

El Rudo wrote:It was, we had two or so really underpowered light wind sessions, I brought the 13m Rise and had some fun looping it but some of my buddies only brought 12m and smaller.
Rudo, you mean you got two days with no wind and rest (how many?) with or you mean that you had only 2 days with low wind and X days with zero wind????

I can certainly cope with 2 days out of 8 without....but not so much with more....

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby El Rudo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
El Rudo wrote:It was, we had two or so really underpowered light wind sessions, I brought the 13m Rise and had some fun looping it but some of my buddies only brought 12m and smaller.
Rudo, you mean you got two days with no wind and rest (how many?) with or you mean that you had only 2 days with low wind and X days with zero wind????

I can certainly cope with 2 days out of 8 without....but not so much with more....
not even two days, two wind windows of 3hrs or so, the other days nada. No swell in the Atlantic even.
Note that you can have some current as well, if that is the wrong way around you need at least 16knots of wind to do even hold ground.
I'm not downplaying Dakhla by any means as I see the potential but we were just super unlucky, the PKRA were there just a couple of days before us and it was said to be pumping.
However, anyone selling you 100% wind guarantee is lying. 70% at most. It's a local wind system that relies on thermals, if it's too cold over land, there's none.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 pm

El Rudo wrote:
vannibombonato wrote:

not even two days, two wind windows of 3hrs or so, the other days nada. No swell in the Atlantic even.
However, anyone selling you 100% wind guarantee is lying. 70% at most. It's a local wind system that relies on thermals, if it's too cold over land, there's none.
Well...i'll be going there the last day of the PKRA....two ways of thinking now, either looking at it like "statistically speaking i'm f****ed" or "statistically speaking it can't happen again the same stuff"...i'll go with the second option but brrrrrrr....i'm shivering now!!!!
Sure about shoes? as it was some lady from the Attitude camp who actually told me to bring her.

I'm intermediate so don't expect too much time standing trying to recover board etc.

Another thing: is the lagoon deep enough (even maybe far away from beach start) to try throw some big air?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

Vanni

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby El Rudo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Well...i'll be going there the last day of the PKRA....two ways of thinking now, either looking at it like "statistically speaking i'm f****ed" or "statistically speaking it can't happen again the same stuff"...i'll go with the second option but brrrrrrr....i'm shivering now!!!!
Sure about shoes? as it was some lady from the Attitude camp who actually told me to bring her.

I'm intermediate so don't expect too much time standing trying to recover board etc.

Another thing: is the lagoon deep enough (even maybe far away from beach start) to try throw some big air?

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

Vanni
Just go, but if you've got a serious indiction there's no wind, cancel.
And yeah, bring your shoes if you like, they don't weigh much. I didn't need them.
And never ask the Dutch if it's deep enough to go big :jump: but yes - out there where it's choppy it's way deep enough!

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

El Rudo wrote: And never ask the Dutch if it's deep enough to go big :jump: but yes - out there where it's choppy it's way deep enough!
Excatly what i mean...i meant deep enough for Humans, not for Lentenians throwing megaloops two meters from the beach....:-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”