2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slow 7m kite

Postby WildDuke » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:11 am

My girlfriend is 53kgs and is learning with a Cabrinha Vector 7m. I flew it today and it turned soo fast. I also harp on to he that she needs to be a bit more controlled with the kite, but after flying it I see why she's not. I can't give here a bigger kite cause where we live we get 20-25kts of solid trade winds for almost half the year.

I know it's not a Cabrinha thing, cause I rode a 6m Airush lithium last reason and that was a fast little kite. Is there any kites out there that are slower? Maybe we need something that has a thicker leading edge. I tried to buy a 6m Airush one kite this season, but apparently it is not being inported into Australia. The One has a thick leading edge which I think might slow it down a little in smaller sizes.

Anyone have any other ideas?

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Re: Slow 7m kite

Postby WildDuke » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:15 am

Oh btw sorry for the poor spelling and grammar, I am writing this in my iPhone an it's word prediction software is a little off. I should proof read my posts before I submit my message.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am

Crossbow or Switchblade maybe?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am

Crossbow would be the slowest in the Cabrinha lineup but it is still a small kite so it is fast too but not too bad and probably the largest wind range of Cab line up. I have one brand new for the price of a used by the way;)

Davesurf76
Rare Poster

Postby Davesurf76 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Most small kites are fast, thats unfortunate for lightweight kiters who need a small kite but dont want a nervous bee in the sky. The best advice I can give you is to look into shortening the bar. Im not sure if Cabrinha hast shorter bars but in all likeliness, you can use any 4 line bar on the kites you have.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:09 pm

It's not powerful but Flysurfer Viron 6m would be the best kite I think. It is super safe, auto relaunch, slow for a 6m kite. But it doesn't pull you like normal 6m and it might not be enough in your case. I love it for training.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I use the GK Trix 7m running on the slowest settings F3,F6,B1 on the A-KPO bridle. It takes about 3-5 minutes max to make all your adjustments on the bridle's pigtails and you have a different performing kite. The adjustable throw on the bar is also great for everyone from knuckle draggers (long arms) to baby T-Rex (short arms).
I have one with extra set of OEM bladders that I'd be willing to part with for 600 bux.
GK Trix Info & Videos-
http://kiteboardingtampabay.com/2011-gk-trix.html

GK A-KPO Bridle Tuning Guide-
http://kiteboardingtampabay.com/gk-trix ... guide.html

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Cut the bar down to about 14 inches that should help a lot. If she is not riding with her hands together at the center of the bar get her to try that all so. My 7m Wainman is really fast but locks in when I want to just set it some where in the window. It is so easy to over steer it though makes unhooking a pain in the ass.

ZigZag
Medium Poster

Postby ZigZag » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:09 pm

7m kites are fun! Don't slow down the kite. Rather speed up your girlfriend. Get her to fly a kite that is significantly smaller and faster than the Cabrina Vector 7m. Something like a small trainer or a stunt kite. She will soon learn to react instinctively to the way these kites fly. When she returns to the Vector, it will feel very slow and stable.

Whenever I change down from a big kite (12m) to a small kite (8m), I need a few minutes to adapt. I have less of a problem going from a small to a big kite.

There are other benefits to flying very small kites like trainers and stunt kites. They won't pull as hard as the Vector, and if they crash, they are more likely to escape damage.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm

A narrow bar will slow things down for her, have her also not hold the bar all the way out at the ends.
Longer lines will slow things down, but also make the power stroke longer and more powerful.

Return to “Kitesurfing”