Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestion on where/how to mount a gopro hero camera?

Forum for kitesurfers
vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Suggestion on where/how to mount a gopro hero camera?

Postby vannibombonato » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi there,
planning to purchase a Go Pro Hero 2 cam, and looking for suggestions on where to mount it.
Specifically, helmet? Which mount? I'm scared it can easily rip off on the first bad landing.
Anyone has experience/suggestions to share?

Thanks,

Vanni

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Suggestion on where/how to mount a gopro hero camera?

Postby dyyylan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 am

I've heard the adhesive mounts work well, but I'm in the same boat as you I'd be afraid it would pop off. I personally use this: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Vented-Helm ... 435&sr=8-2

and after looping that through the helmet vents, I tie the gopro down to the helmet with a shoelace to make sure it doesn't move at ALL. I loop the lace around it in an X like 4 times, through all the holes of the helmet.

I took some falls on my head while learning how to jump, and ive never had a single problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbdXn6rLX0o

kitesurfingcollectiv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, South Africa.
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfingcollectiv » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm

dyyylan wrote:
and after looping that through the helmet vents, I tie the gopro down to the helmet with a shoelace to make sure it doesn't move at ALL. I loop the lace around it in an X like 4 times, through all the holes of the helmet.
I do the exact same thing with a bit of old kiteline and all of my mounts and it works a treat. For my board suction mount I run the kiteline through the bindings. My head mount (when I'm not riding with a helmet) I tie onto the necklace thing that is attached to my seaspecs and when I'm using the wrist mount, I try and attach it to my rashy (mine has thumb loops).. I even try and tie it off to my kite if I'm mounting it on the leading edge.

Hope you get some good shots! :)

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Postby murph68 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:27 pm

I use that mount as well except I drilled 4 holes in it , countersunk them and riveted it to my helmet works perfect. If your going to leash it off slip the leash through the metal hinge on the door of the Go pro.

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I used the $14 GoPro headstrap right on my head. I ran a piece of kiteline to the back of it down to a carabiner that I hooked to the back of my harness. That way if I lost it, it would be leashed to my harness.

It never came off my head & I was able to take it off & put it back on while on the water. Video of Maui below;

http://vimeo.com/36441222

JD

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Try a GoPro line mount
Attachments
new line mount andrew kru.png

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 pm

get as many different angles as you can think of. one angle looks boring after 5-10 seconds. get creative and tape that camera in all sorts of spots.

Also beware vibration will kill your go pro housing. i've fried 2 housings so far. luckily on land. if you go board mount, only do it for a short time or risk your housing cracking.

lastly make sure you have a grunty pc and good editing programme. gopro files are BIG.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 am

Ooh are the new line mounts available, Ryan?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 am

The curved adhesive mounts work well with proper surface preparation first. I tie a leash to my GoPro as well using the helmet vents. The thing is if the camera gets wrapped with kite lines I would rather not have a powering up kite break my neck like a wet chicken so I use fairly weak line for the leash.

jurihc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Old Saybrook, Hammonasset, Gilgo
Favorite Beaches: Harvey's Beach (Old Saybrook), Gilgo, Hatteras, Cabarete
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Cult 10.5
Naish Helix 14
Best Waroo 12 '06
JL Model 3 139

Postby jurihc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:32 am

Personally I like the chest mount best. I think it's the most secure, but I also like it because it makes for the easiest access to the camera while kiting which is super helpful when you want to change modes or settings.

I do also use the headstrap (but I added my own chin strap to prevent it falling off) Without that, I did lose my camera once (luckily I was able to find it on the bottom). But aside from that, the biggest issue with the any of the headmounts (strap or helmet) is that you can't see the camera, and when it's loud out because it's windy or because you're riding fast, it's nearly impossible to hear the beeps.

The chest mount allows you to see the camera and it can also be easy to slide the camera around. Meaning, you can slide the camera so that it's positioned on your ribs or side.

I do use the board mount as well, but only for short periods of time.

Here's a video I made mostly with the camera chest mounted. The parts where the spreader bar hits the camera are before my buddy and I figured out the bit about sliding the camera to the side. And at the end of the video, you'll see the consequences of using the headstrap without adding your own chinstrap (another argument for why go with a chestmount)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMo4AEertHc

Return to “Kitesurfing”