Local Beach: Mitchell's Bay, Oliphant, Port Burwell, Port Stanley, Grand Bend
Favorite Beaches: Mitchell's Bay
Style: Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NSI Deceiver Bag - Consequences?

Postby Keener » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey everyone, I've read a lot of posts from people that have used the NSI Deceiver bag successfully, which is great.

I too own one and I've only used it once on vacation to Cuba. Fortunately the flight actually aloud kiteboarding gear, I didn't have to say it was golf equipment and I didn't have to pay anything - the airline was Air Transat.

Soon, I'm going to be traveling to LA and I'm using Air Canada.

I've heard rumours that some people actually pack 2-3 golf clubs in their bag in case the customer service agent at check-in asks to see clubs in the bag.

What I'm wondering is - what if they find out that it's not actually golf equipment? I asked this in a local group that I'm a member of and someone said they could deny you from boarding as well as fine you $1000.

Has anyone actually been in this scenario? What happened?

criznach
Medium Poster

Re: NSI Deceiver Bag - Consequences?

Postby criznach » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Whatever they ask, just keep saying "Golf Bag". Golf bag. Golf bag. Don't lie, just say golf bag. Worked for me.

Keener
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mitchell's Bay, Oliphant, Port Burwell, Port Stanley, Grand Bend
Favorite Beaches: Mitchell's Bay
Style: Freestyle

Postby Keener » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 pm

criznach wrote:Whatever they ask, just keep saying "Golf Bag". Golf bag. Golf bag. Don't lie, just say golf bag. Worked for me.
Got it - that's what I will say but still, what if they ask what's in it? I've read scenarios online that people ask them and they've actually said kiteboarding equipment, the same people have also said they've lied and just said golf clubs - I still would like to know what would happen if you say golf clubs and then they check your bag to find out you have kiteboard equipment.

Is this $1000 fine a myth? Can they deny you from boarding?

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own

Postby FarQueLot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Lying to an airline is serious, and apart from the fine they may insist on a cavity search of your girlfriend-Don't do it

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 pm

i was asked on a recent trip if my NSI deciever bag contained golf clubs and I said " no, I just use it as general luggage". It was checked as my second bag and that was that. They do seem to be sticklers about the weight though, I had to keep it under 50 lbs

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 am

Yeah never let them catch you lying. Instead use terms like sports gear...I've had a golf club in there.

In any case, make sure you read their rules. Airlines are so different, some will allow wakeboard, but not kite surfing...so use the term wake board...

Be well dressed, and well mannered. A smile goes a long way.

That said, I've actually had the airline (Hawaiian airlines) call me back AFTER check in to check if I had a surfboard in my bag. I refused. Said over and over again the that I did not have a surfboard. She told me she was looking at it, and I said it was not a surfboard. At that point I would have preferred to not travel than to pay them a cent.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 am

If you can get away with it, good for you!
...but I have the worst luck with check-in and I simply don't need the stress.

Choose your airlines better, if you have the options.
I took 70lbs of sports gear from Japan to NZ on Air Korea and it cost me US$100. I got 10 sessions in, of about 3 or 4 hours each - more than paid for itself even if I only rented a board.
IIRC Korea was the second cheapest airline so it wasn't like the extra $100 mattered all that much...

And yes, I used all the gear (3 kites, 2 boards) more than once too :)

Oh yeah make sure you never say "surf" when talking about your sport or equipment, or the one-track minded clerks will insist you pay surfboard prices.

Northshore04
Rare Poster

Postby Northshore04 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 am

I don't know about any fine for them catching you, but I've used the bag twice and it worked both times. I wrapped my kites around the board, then wrapped my clothes around the kites and bungeed it all together. Then I put 4 or 5 old golf clubs on top of it all. I also dressed like a golfer.

The agent asked what was in the bag, and I told him my golf clubs, clothes, etc. He asked to see and I pulled out the clubs. At that point, all he could see was the clubs and clothes. Worked like a charm.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 am

Northshore04 wrote:I don't know about any fine for them catching you, but I've used the bag twice and it worked both times. I wrapped my kites around the board, then wrapped my clothes around the kites and bungeed it all together. Then I put 4 or 5 old golf clubs on top of it all. I also dressed like a golfer.

The agent asked what was in the bag, and I told him my golf clubs, clothes, etc. He asked to see and I pulled out the clubs. At that point, all he could see was the clubs and clothes. Worked like a charm.

Kites and sharp rails might not be the best of friends. Consider putting some tape on the rails :-)

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 am

Northshore04 wrote:I don't know about any fine for them catching you, but I've used the bag twice and it worked both times. I wrapped my kites around the board, then wrapped my clothes around the kites and bungeed it all together. Then I put 4 or 5 old golf clubs on top of it all. I also dressed like a golfer.

Did you wear those white shiny leather shoes? I'm not sure if that would be worth it :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”