Forum for kitesurfers
14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Lightwind discusión

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

:desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :tv: :tv:

You have to try gear for yourself. 1st order of business is to eliminate the TARPS!!

Alex6681
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Alex6681 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:19 pm

best to use a big board like the Airush Sector. you dont need a big kite. The bigger the kite the harder to stay up. Use a smaller kite like the Airush Lithium LW 14 of the Ozone Catalyst 13 if you are heavy or smaller kite. I am 60kg and I use a 10M Lithium/VarialX and I get going at abput 5 to 6 kts. You need to work the kite (signing and looping) and board (by pumpingcthe fins. You know what I menat if youare a windsurfer before) ride the swell..Try to go upwind when you get the gusts and do downwind to stay in plane in lulls.. happy kiting...

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:35 pm

best to use a big board like the Airush Sector. you dont need a big kite. The bigger the kite the harder to stay up. Use a smaller kite like the Airush Lithium LW 14 of the Ozone Catalyst 13 if you are heavy or smaller kite. I am 60kg and I use a 10M Lithium/VarialX and I get going at abput 5 to 6 kts. You need to work the kite (signing and looping) and board (by pumpingcthe fins. You know what I menat if youare a windsurfer before) ride the swell..Try to go upwind when you get the gusts and do downwind to stay in plane in lulls.. happy kiting...
[/i]
Yes "Alex6681" is right, you can always use a 12 meter or even a 10 meter kite but use the biggest board you have such as an SUB or a Surf Board or a Race Board or even a Windsurf board. But the problem will be that you won't be able to enjoy jumping and do air transition or work on your handle passes in 7 to 10 knots if you use a small kite, because you won't have the power you need. You will be able to cruise back and forth hopefully but won't enjoy what kiting is all about, which is JUMPING.
I have used the SCREAMER 10 LTD (2011 & 3G) in 8 to 13 knots on my RACE board when every body is using 16 meter to 20 meter kites. I was able to go back and forth but it got too boring for me.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Dimitri M wrote: you can always use a 12 meter or even a 10 meter kite but use the biggest board you have such as an "SUB"
I am so :sorry:
I just could not :help: myself
That was an awesome TYPO :lol:

BTW how is your tendon :?: almost 3 months now :!:

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 pm

:anon: :anon: :love1: :party1: :oops: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello SupaEZ,
My Achilles tendon is doing better. Thank's for asking. I am probably 70% there. Another month and I will be 100%, I hope. That is if I don't get hurt before that. (knock on wood)
These are some pictures of snowboarding last week and kitesurfing today.
Any way I still think having the perfect kite and board for light wind is the best choice. This is the reason why we came up with the INFINITY kite and the OXYGEN board. So you can have an amazing time in 7 to 10 knots. All you need to do is get a chance to try them and you will see for yourself.
Attachments
DSCN1392.jpg
GOPR2600 2.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Ugh it is misrepresenting what raceboards does if you say you can go in super light winds with a 10 meter on a raceboard. Racboard needs grunt. They need a kite that pulls. There is a lot of resistance on the fins, and going out on a 10 will not make the board work the way it is supposed to.

Btw. some are coming off as being slightly schizophrenic when TYPEing like a CrAZyy PerSOn

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Ugh it is misrepresenting what raceboards does if you say you can go in super light winds with a 10 meter on a raceboard. Racboard needs grunt. They need a kite that pulls. There is a lot of resistance on the fins, and going out on a 10 will not make the board work the way it is supposed to.

You are 100% correct Mr.tautologies, the fins on the race board makes a huge difference.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Alex6681 wrote:best to use a big board like the Airush Sector. you dont need a big kite. The bigger the kite the harder to stay up. Use a smaller kite like the Airush Lithium LW 14 of the Ozone Catalyst 13 if you are heavy or smaller kite. I am 60kg and I use a 10M Lithium/VarialX and I get going at abput 5 to 6 kts. You need to work the kite (signing and looping) and board (by pumpingcthe fins. You know what I menat if youare a windsurfer before) ride the swell..Try to go upwind when you get the gusts and do downwind to stay in plane in lulls.. happy kiting...
Can only agree - you can ride with a "ridicoulously" small kite on a raceboard - works like a charm :thumb:

Of course you can also choose to ride with a huge kite if you want to (and want to race) - but you dont need that, the apparent wind will work wonders when on a raceboard 8)

I also use a powerful 10m2 very often (78kg), and in really light conditions a 12m2, on my small raceboard.

So can change to a surfboard or waveboard or TT if the wind picks up ever so slightly - and having a blast then, without the need for changing kite :rollgrin:

:D Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm

tautologies wrote: Btw. some are coming off as being slightly schizophrenic when TYPEing like a CrAZyy PerSOn
.....It was an innocent TypINg KEystROKe. miSHAp :cooltext:
.....To WRitE............."SUB"..........INsteAD .....of ..."SUP" :clap:

...STanD up PAdDebOArds soMeTiMe dO LoOK tHe sIZe of sUbMAriNes :party1:

Return to “Kitesurfing”