Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Skater 5'9

Postby jeff1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 pm

can anyone give me a review on the 5'9 skater.
Torn between that or a global

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Naish Skater 5'9

Postby PAFF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 am

Awesome board... Best Naish board ever. IanAlldredge made them make a fine stick before he left..

If you ride strapless, its the 5.9 Skater 100%. If your strapt, take the Global 5.11 or 6.1.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 am

I have both those boards 6'0'' global / 5'9'' skater...and I can definitely see why you are torn. If you like to ride strapless the skater is a clear winner. It is a surfboard in its own right. Round rails, toe in on the fins...and quite a bit is cant on them too...all the things I generally do not like on a board (often makes the board feel like it is riding in syrup)...but it is works on this one..actually it had me re-evaluate my opinions on fins on board for kiting....

My buddy use this board for jumping strapless...he got it after breaking his last carbon fiber board...and there is still no dings on this one. The build is solid, but still light weight. Every time I take the skater out I have a great session. I do small ollies, ride waves..anything from mush crap waves, to about a little overhead. If there is anything I say that I have discovered, it is that if you stand too far forward, the nose can bury when you dig in for a top turn. If you are standing at about where you would have straps of backwards, it is fine. The board is super playful, and very easy to handle for tacks and jibes..you can mess around ride backwards, and the board just begs you to play with it...

I think if you like straps, I would go with the global. It is more of a allround kiteboard. Faster ride. Can hold bigger waves, and like to be ridden powered, but doesn't require it. The wider pintail makes the global more all round. This board comes with more fin options...with 4 fins and 5 FCS boxes...and a bag. :-) The global and the skater will throw fans of water..life your toe off the top turn... :thumb:

I'd be hesitant to pick a winner tho...depends on your need for straps... :-)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am

PAFF wrote:Awesome board... Best Naish board ever. IanAlldredge made them make a fine stick before he left..
don't think he made that board

530N52
Rare Poster

Postby 530N52 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 pm

For riding strapless the 5'9" Skater is great. Nice carry through on bottom turns and a good drive back up the face. It's small size makes it pretty snappy off the top as well.

Gets going on a plane well and nice up wind performance to get back in the line up. Not too heavy and trust that Naish construction is duro. See how it holds up after more sessions of jumping.

jeff1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Style: freeride

Postby jeff1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Ordered the 5'9 skater.
tautologies you convinced me. :)

monacoboy
Rare Poster

Postby monacoboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 am

+1 for the Skater 5.9

U cant go wrong with this one!!!
Its a nice, light and well built board.

I use it with straps at the moment, in waves but also on flat water and long distance cruising.
For waves, I use a 7m kite and for flat or long distance I use a 9m to 12m kite.
Riding over powered isnt a problem at all with this board, it performs very well, goes faster than a twin tip and the upwind....
Something else that I like; even its a detail for many ppl; is that on long distance cruising you can actually stop riding, sit on the board with the kite above your head and get some rest or talk with the others.

Since I have the Skater, I got the rid of my twin tip board.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force,
Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 am

looks like one of naish's better shapes. The marketing slogan they use for that board does crack me up though. See if anyone else catches it on their wesite. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”