Rare Poster
Local Beach: Santa Barbara
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner intermediate spots Bay Area/ Santa Cruz

Postby bb16 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:32 am

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some beginner intermediate spots around the Santa Cruz/ Bay Area, when I am not at school I am here and would like to get some kiting in. I can go upwind pretty well (at least when I last kited) and just started working on jumping. However my self launch and relaunch skills in lower wind are not the best. Since I surf I am able to hand waves, however i feel the less waves the better for me right now.

I have a 13m edge and a 9m renegade.

Out of curiosity does anyone ever kitesurf Manresa beach? Seems to be quite windy quite often whenever I surf there.

Thanks for the help

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Re: Beginner intermediate spots Bay Area/ Santa Cruz

Postby Thor SFBay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:21 am

Even if you are an expert surfer, I don't think you should be kiteboarding in the ocean in Northern California until your kite skills are better. So that means heading inland. Your best bet would be 3rd Avenue, just north of the San Mateo Bridge. It would mean some driving, but that's better than drowning. Alameda is even more beginner friendly but farther from Santa Cruz and not as consistent.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:17 am

Thor SFBay wrote:Even if you are an expert surfer, I don't think you should be kiteboarding in the ocean in Northern California until your kite skills are better.
Going upwind and jumping isn't good enough for norcal? What's the ocean made of up there, lava?

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 am

Have you had a Nor Cal slab hit you on the head? It ain't florida, and it is cold....and heavy.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 pm

In 2010, Scott Murray died at Ocean Beach (San Francisco) - he was an intermediate kiter (one year of experience). I know people die all the time doing all sorts of things, but I just want to make sure that people understand the added risk of kiting in cold water with pounding shore break and rip currents. It adds a whole new element of risk. (There are also great white sharks, but they rarely bite anyone...)

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Thor SFBay got it right. I'd recommend strong intermediate to advanced kiting skills during winter and early spring here at NorCal.

I surf Manresa and have chatted up the lifeguards and park rangers there. As far as I know there are no kiting restrictions in that area, but you need to talk to those guys if you decide to kite, at least you know that you have a chance of getting rescued if things go wrong. Wind is turbulent, and inconsistent. Sessions are rare and people who ride there probably live close by.

I'd recommend sticking to the Bay for now and venture the coast in the summer so you can practice your skills with baby waves.

This coming week, Alameda and San Mateo is the place to go, hit the Alameda Southerly winds before the storm hits, and a few days later ride the NorthWest winds at the tail end of the storm at Third Avenue.

If you still decide to ride the coast this Spring, head up to Waddell and talk to the Caution crew and F One crew before you rig. They can offer you valuable information. Think about getting a 7 meter as well if you weigh 180 lbs or lighter.

If you need more info, you might want to check out the local website bayareakiteboarding.com
bb16 wrote:Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone could recommend some beginner intermediate spots around the Santa Cruz/ Bay Area, when I am not at school I am here and would like to get some kiting in. I can go upwind pretty well (at least when I last kited) and just started working on jumping. However my self launch and relaunch skills in lower wind are not the best. Since I surf I am able to hand waves, however i feel the less waves the better for me right now.

I have a 13m edge and a 9m renegade.

Out of curiosity does anyone ever kitesurf Manresa beach? Seems to be quite windy quite often whenever I surf there.

Thanks for the help

bb16
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Santa Barbara

Postby bb16 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, Alameda and 3rd avenue look like good spots. Could anyone recommend a good wind sensor for Alameda? And I think I will stay away from Waddell for a while, I surf there every now and then and it does not seem like the place to learn how to relaunch.

Could anyone recommend a 6m or 7m for my next kite? I am about 145 pounds so I am wondering if a 6m may be better.

psz211
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF
Gear: 13M Duotone Juice, 10M Duotone Evo SLS, 8M Duotone Rebel SLS, 6M Viron Flysurfer Closed Cell Foil. Crazy Fly XL board, North Prime Medium board, and Fone Trax small board

Postby psz211 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:45 pm

On the Great White Sharks.
I've done a lot of research on Great White Sharks in the San Francisco Bay Area, you might find interesting.
Yes, I admit it, I am afraid of sharks.
https://www.iamnotaconsumer.com/post/we ... ncisco-bay

To Summarize
Where you are:
The SF Bay is very safe, there has never been a fatal shark attack inside the SF Bay. Also salinity and pollution keeps Great White Sharks away. Less than 1% of Great White Shark detections in one study were found to have been within the Bay.

What time of day it is:
Avoid overcast days and night time. Don't splash, Great White Sharks first use auditory senses, they then use sight as they get closer to prey within ~150ft, they will test bite you if they can't get a sense of you.

What time of year it is:
March to Early August is OK, Great White Sharks have migrated away from SF (unsure what migration pattern is for Cape Town)

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:10 pm

bb16 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 pm
Thanks for all the help guys, Alameda and 3rd avenue look like good spots. Could anyone recommend a good wind sensor for Alameda? And I think I will stay away from Waddell for a while, I surf there every now and then and it does not seem like the place to learn how to relaunch.

Could anyone recommend a 6m or 7m for my next kite? I am about 145 pounds so I am wondering if a 6m may be better.
I remember Alameda is a really nice and beginner friendly spot to ride, but it doesn't always get the best winds and often times other spots (ie. 3rd Avenue) will get much cleaner wind. But check with the local crowd and I'm sure there Ikitesurf-forum also has all the answers you need.

Considering your weight I'd say a 6 might be better than a 7. Also remember that riding colder storm winds will give greater 'punishment' than riding warm wind storms so critically ask yourself before you go out in windy conditions like that if your skill & energy level that day is up for it or maybe live to fight another day.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:02 pm

Alameda webcam and wind sensor:
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/weather1/webcam/
You will most likely use your 9M at 3rd, and your 13M at Alameda
There is a local forum: