Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Optimal Bar Width

Forum for kitesurfers
kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Optimal Bar Width

Postby kite_crazy66 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:04 am

I recently purchased a new 9m kite, which came with a 45cm bar. What is interesting, is that last year I bought a 10m kite and it came with a 50cm bar.
Is there an industry standard bar size for every kite?

From my experience, I have noticed most bars range from 45-55cm (correct me if I'm wrong). I have also noticed that more wave riders prefer wider bars, as opposed to a narrower. Me being a freestyler, I prefer a slightly narrower, so as to reduce the chances of me slamming my face into the bar when I unhook; and also because i mostly ride with my hands closer to the middle of the bar.

What would be great is a bar that can change sizes depending on the riders preference. I have recently been riding more waves, and having that extra torque can help in certain situations.
Does anyone know if such a bar exists?

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optimal Bar Width

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 am

A lot of bars give you the option of changing the length by changing the way you attach the lines to the ends - my OR bar can change from 48-55cm (the bar doesn't change, but the distance between the lines does). I believe that Epic's bar does the same thing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:05 am

True - but as most riders who has several kites, got at least two bars (you will NOT risk not having a spare bar/set of lines either) - it is of course way better with two bars different length - the "adjustable" ones are better than nothing, but still clumsy IMO, especially if set on the "inner" length of course.

At the outer there is not much difference no, and okay - but the inner is on all brands almost as bad as having a wide bar as all you do is make the distance between rear lines smaller - but the bar either remains the same overall width, OR is more bulky/complicated :o

Unfortunately most bars are made this way today, and a lot only with one physical size :wink:

And no, there are no industry standards or even guidelines - just what each brand chooses :naughty:

:D Peter

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:22 am

The airush bar has removable ends so will change its actual length. It does require maintenance to keep it working however.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 am

Bars have become very expensive, so I think the ends where you can connect the leaders to either the outside or inner connection are a good way to go. Its not really that much of an extra complication because the shape happens to be suitable also for the line winders.

I'd rather have the 2 width option and save the £250.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

i run 50cm bar. on 6m, 10m , 13m i have an every day set and a brand new extreme conditions set that only comes out when equipment failures are not an option.

I also have a dedicated 54cm bar on my 15m flysurfer.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 pm

I'd say that bars are way overpriced for what you get. I all so think that they made too standard with few options for customization i.e. below the bar trim or above the bar trim. It would be nice companies made parts readily available so you could easily change things out all so. Or just make your own bars the way you want them.

I do agree that you should have more than 1 bar for your quiver. I have 1 for each of my kites but I never use the 20" bar as I find it cumbersome to try and pass with. I use my 17" bar with my 13m Fuel and just cut my new bar down 14" for my 7/9m combo I just got to replace last years kite. If I have to I will cut it down even more. I have an old Wainman bar that I cut down to 12" for my 7m and it works amazing.

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school

Postby kite_crazy66 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

Bars are definitely expensive, but it's difficult to say they are overpriced. There is a lot of engineering behind the manufacturing of these bars. The molding of the bar itself, as well as the 25/30m lines. Also add to that the various parts that are unique to each brand and one can see why it costs more than 300 bucks.

I like the idea of having interchangeable parts to customize each bar. THat would be really cool.
Maybe we should start a kite-bar brand. All we sell are bar systems. There's an idea.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 pm

I give up on bar sizing. I use a 55 cm bar for all my kites. 7.5m to 18m. Would probably be an issue if you're trying to do wakestyle moves, but for freeriding, I think it works fine.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:42 pm

ronnie wrote:Bars have become very expensive, so I think the ends where you can connect the leaders to either the outside or inner connection are a good way to go. Its not really that much of an extra complication because the shape happens to be suitable also for the line winders.

I'd rather have the 2 width option and save the £250.
Agreed.

The value of a used bar is almost as bad on resale as a used kite. You're lucky to get $50-$75 for a used bar. I'm a proponent of the one for all philosophy. Have spare parts for the wearable items, or bring a spare bar while traveling. 4 kites and 4 different bars is a waste imho.

Return to “Kitesurfing”