Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Optimal Bar Width

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm

POACHER wrote:
ronnie wrote:Bars have become very expensive, so I think the ends where you can connect the leaders to either the outside or inner connection are a good way to go. Its not really that much of an extra complication because the shape happens to be suitable also for the line winders.

I'd rather have the 2 width option and save the £250.
Agreed.

The value of a used bar is almost as bad on resale as a used kite. You're lucky to get $50-$75 for a used bar. I'm a proponent of the one for all philosophy. Have spare parts for the wearable items, or bring a spare bar while traveling. 4 kites and 4 different bars is a waste imho.
True - but 4 kites and one bar is almost useless IMO.
If too expensive, it would be better with 3 kites and more bars :roll:

You got to have two bars, so you can jump in and change kite without having to put lines from one kite to the other, and for spare purposes on the "almost perfect" day :thumb:

More than two bars is luxury, agreed - but you definitely need two bars if you got several kites and ride a lot, so you have the lines rigged and trimmed perfectly on the (typical) two kites you often rig at a spot :rollgrin:

8) Peter

evan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Postby evan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
POACHER wrote: True - but 4 kites and one bar is almost useless IMO.
If too expensive, it would be better with 3 kites and more bars :roll:

You got to have two bars, so you can jump in and change kite without having to put lines from one kite to the other, and for spare purposes on the "almost perfect" day :thumb:
Re-rigging a bar to another size kite is faster than unwinding a bar and if you keep enough spare parts a second bar isn't vital in my opinion.

Key is though, that you adjust the pigtails on all your kites in such way that you do'nt have to change any setting at all when swapping kites.

Oh, and one barsize for all kites. 42cm/18"
Small bar gives you a more direct feel and if you have to sine the crap out of your kite there's just not enough wind.

kite_crazy66
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Since I started kiting I have been travelling... so you could say my local beaches are: Big Bay (Cape Town), Woody's (Perth), Lancelin, Geraldton (WA), Crissy, 3rd Ave, Sherman Island, Da'hab (Egypt)
Style: freestyle and old school
Has thanked: 0

Postby kite_crazy66 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am

Some interesting comments have been made here...

For one, a 42cm bar is almost too small for anything, except maybe a 5m. "More direct feel"??? Doesn't help you much if you can't get the kite to turn. I hate rideing my 10m and 14m with anything less than my 50cm bar. It's doable, but when I'm carving hard into a wave, i want that extra torque to be able to swing that kite around.

Also, having one bar with a bunch of spare parts at your local kite spot is manageable, but that's not what you want when you fly to Cabarete for 6 days. Any failure of equipment results in precious time wasted off the water.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core Riot XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Been thanked: 0

Postby pmaggie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm

I actually own two bars, one with 24 mts lines and the other one with 24+3 mts. (just too lazy to mount the extentions every time I need them). Also, two bar is better, if you have problem with one you can use the other. I use the two bars with my 3 kites (7-11-17). About the 17, if it's subten I use 27 mts, if it's 10-13 I use 24 mts. About the 7, my Core bar is not exactly "extensible": you just switch the leaderlines attachment point. There's an inner and an outer endcap position, so that you can have 52 or 45 cm. and fly all sizes with one bar.
Anyway, I flew the 7 with the outer (big size) endcap position and had no problem.

Silver Fox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: ALL
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with clean water and beautiful beaches
Style: ALL
Gear: ALL

Postby Silver Fox » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:59 pm

lots of good answers here. I think you nailed it with not getting popped when unhooking. to me that would be the only reason to use a smaller bar. either that or you dont want your smaller kite to move as fast or accidentally go into a loop when trying moves.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3.7m to 10.4m Cloud kites
Cloud 9 S24 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard

Postby tswierkocki » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm

I use a 50cm bar on my 7M, 9M, and 13M.

I have two of them that are identical. I take 2 bars if I'm traveling of the the conditions look epic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”