Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No more "news" or interesting subjects in kitesurfing ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

No more "news" or interesting subjects in kitesurfing ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:24 pm

I have noticed that this site has been overflowed by lots of nonsense post lately, as a discussion club without anything "real" to discuss :(

Its okay with lots of fun and fun threads - but right now it is just like some thinks "yaaaawn" lets stir this site up and talk nonsense :roll:

Maybe just me - but have noticed a huge number of useless posts and seems like some has too much time and too little to do with their lives :wink:

Rembember this is an international global forum, where ironic and also sarcastic posts will most often be misunderstood or taken literally :o

Or maybe kitesurfing has simply become too mainstream and boring - so the forum is not about kitesurfing now, but just a coffee club with bla bla bla blaaaah ?

I dont like that tendency, but I know I am "oldschool" in that respect...

(and yes, maybe it is just me that got this feeling when I enter kiteforum nowadays...)

8) Peter

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Re: No more "news" or interesting subjects in kitesurfing ?

Postby oldkiter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Same feelings - kiting has gotten to same low level in 10 years that it took about 20 years for windsurfing! Pettiness and jealousies!!

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils
Has thanked: 0

Postby alexrider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I have noticed that this site has been overflowed by lots of nonsense post lately, as a discussion club without anything "real" to discuss :(

Its okay with lots of fun and fun threads - but right now it is just like some thinks "yaaaawn" lets stir this site up and talk nonsense :roll:

Maybe just me - but have noticed a huge number of useless posts and seems like some has too much time and too little to do with their lives :wink:

Rembember this is an international global forum, where ironic and also sarcastic posts will most often be misunderstood or taken literally :o

Or maybe kitesurfing has simply become too mainstream and boring - so the forum is not about kitesurfing now, but just a coffee club with bla bla bla blaaaah ?

8) Peter
Yeah! :thumb: :wink: :thumb: :wink: :thumb:

Let's start cleaning the mainstream and boring process by banning the most irrelevant and viewed topic going on since 2006:

MOST SEXY KITE PICTURE
506 pages, 3 114 969 views and counting.

Cheers, :bye:

Alex

PS: perhaps you should show some understanding and forgive those guys who are too long far away from any shore or in sub force 1 winds.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 am

I have a number of directions in kitesurfing I would like to know how far it could develop.

A twintip for waves? Maybe with a longer thicker straighter toeside edge with more swept back fins and a shorter curvier thinner heelside edge with smaller fins? Wood core construction with a flexible moulding on the toeside edge and less flexible flip tip mouldings on the tips ( bit like the RRD Venom). Maybe using the Dynabar and rotating footstraps too.

Light wind. Finding the optimum relaunch system for a kite. My guess is for my Xbow is that its a case of pulling on both rear lines (one more than the other) to get the kite to flip over downwind. As it completes the flip, grab the centrelines far enough up to get the kite at the best AoA to the wind for it to lift off, but with some slight tension in the rear lines as it climbs up the window so it can be steered through the centre of the window - always at the best AoA.

A safe enough board leash for winds where the kite wont relaunch. Plenty of opinion on that. :argue: I once had a flyreel leash with 60' of line on it and when the board is 60' away from you, I reckon its hard to figure out a likely scenario in very light winds where it will get to that extension and then come back at you, so as long as the reel will feed out properly, it becomes more of a discussion about distance IMO. There are other scenarios that can be imagined though where the leash would be a hindrance/problem. This is complicated by the ratio of boardspeed to windspeed that the latest raceboards are achieving - which makes the length of the leash have to be even longer. If the wind is varying regularly enough to relaunchable speeds, then the leash would not be connected. Minimum relaunchable wind speeds varies depending on the kite, technique and conditions, but at the moment, without a board, I'd say about 7 to 10 knots, so the leash would be for when the wind wasn't exceeding about 10 knots and you were in a wide open waterspace.

Other light wind related subjects like can you make headway bodydragging upwind when its too light to relaunch by using the kite on its side at the edge of the window. I remember you did some GPS studies on bodydragging Peter and showed that it was still very effective in light wind if you had the kite in the air. Its nice if you can get actual figures on what is possible.

Another one is can you hold a raceboard flat on the water with your feet while you relaunch the kite, so you can use the resistance of the fins to make a difference? I think that will work.

With more people buying boards like the Sector, there may be a growing number of kiters who will be interested in what can be done in light wind. From my limited experience so far in light winds, it takes more skill and experience to kite successfully below 10 knots than above it - unless the wind is steady.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm interested in custom bar/line modifications or construction. I would really like to build myself, my ultimate bar. I like so many components of different bars, wish that I could put them together into one bar. Would that be an interesting topic?

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm also interested in building a Suva tank setup in my car that can fill itself while I drive so that I always have a full tank of air to pump my kites when I head down to the beach. I know that most people say that it is gay and that I should pump, but every minute after work that I save from having to set up my gear, gives me more time on the water.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm

You are right Ronnie - there are interesting issues.

But my point was that I find this site has become flooded with useless nonsense posts lately, to an extreme manner - so any real topics are hard to spot, and many will not understand the irony nor the sarcasm on a world wide forum :roll:

And the reason some do this, could be because they are bored simply, and choose to stir things up - I just dont like it on the forum members/readers behalf, that was my point :-?

Some might have different opinions :wink:

:thumb: Peter

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I don't think people are bored, just limited in their thinking. If you posted a question about building a custom bar for example. I'm sure a lot of people would, if the happen to be flying slingshot at the time, post statements like, the slingshot bar is perfect, and that they could see how it could possibly be improved. If that is their opinion then fair enough, but I have read the types of conversations you like to engage in mr frank and those types of conversations don't come up that often. Just ignore posts that don't interest you.

Drachenschmied
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004

Postby Drachenschmied » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm

custom bar would actually be interesting!

But I'm doing it for quite a while now :-) On my bars there arent 2 pieces from the same bar.
And some lines I made myself.

So, yeah, I got my own perfect Bar :-)

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:You are right Ronnie - there are interesting issues.
But my point was that I find this site has become flooded with useless nonsense posts lately, to an extreme manner - so any real topics are hard to spot, and many will not understand the irony nor the sarcasm on a world wide forum :roll:
And the reason some do this, could be because they are bored simply, and choose to stir things up - I just dont like it on the forum members/readers behalf, that was my point :-?
Some might have different opinions :wink:
:thumb: Peter
yes Peter, it is getting boring. but may be it is just low season in northern hemisphere and at least four month to go until first new season kite presentation?

Return to “Kitesurfing”