Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kites on Layaway

Forum for kitesurfers
posey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: not local to any beach's, we got a lake.
Favorite Beaches: Panama City Beach Florida
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kites on Layaway

Postby posey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:50 am

Might be a funny concept, or a realistic one, who knows. I was just wondering if anyone ever thought about it. or knows of a place that does.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kites on Layaway

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 am

what is that? I have no clue! thx!

posey
Rare Poster

Postby posey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 am

umm... dunno if that's sarcasm or sincerity but here ya go.

Wikipedia Definition
Layaway - (lay-by in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa) is a way to purchase an item without paying the entire cost at once. However, rather than taking the item home and then repaying the debt on a regular schedule, as in most installment plans or hire purchases, the layaway customer does not receive the item until it is completely paid for. There is sometimes a fee associated, since the seller must "lay" the item "away" in storage until the payments are completed. If the transaction is not completed, the item is returned to stock and the customer's money is returned minus a fee

The main advantage of layaway is that no interest is charged. In addition, the price is fixed, availability is guaranteed by reserving the item in stock, and an item being purchased as a gift can be kept secret. Consumers may also gain a sense of living within their means.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Not sure if a kite/board company will do it, but Windance out of Hood River did it for me on a new kite this spring. I told them I wanted their kite but was waiting until I got paid from one of my old kites that I was selling to a friend. They said no problem. I sent them a few hundred down and paid them the balance a couple weeks later when my buddy paid me for my kite.

They were excellent to deal with!

posey
Rare Poster

Postby posey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Poacher, I sent out some emails and so far Powerkitesdirect.com said they would do it, who carry the Blade Fat Lady since im a low winder, but was really looking forward to an Infinity V2, and maybe a Speed3 somewhere in there. I just don't have $5K+ to drop on kites right now. :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 pm

there are some financing services, where you pay monthly until all is paid off.
but you cannot give it back with a fee paid...

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Sounds like a bad idea for kites unless the shop happens to be having an amazing sale at the time. That new kite sitting in the shop is losing value while you wait.

What is the length of time your are thinking of? 6 months? Putting money down on a 2012 kite right now and finishing paying it off in the fall, would be waste of money since that 2012 kite would be worth 20% or 30% less at the end of the season when 2013 kites are coming out. So you pay full price of the latest and greates gear, but don't get to use it until the next latest and greatest gear comes out.

You'd be much better off stuffing money under your mattress and getting an end of season deal. If you don't think you'll be able to keep saving, you could open a seperate savings account and auto transfer money to that account.

I think Mint.com has some kind of auto save over time feature too.

posey
Rare Poster

Postby posey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

2 sides to every coin davesails, thanks for the insight on the con's of the idea.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 pm

davesails7 wrote:Sounds like a bad idea for kites unless the shop happens to be having an amazing sale at the time. That new kite sitting in the shop is losing value while you wait.

What is the length of time your are thinking of? 6 months? Putting money down on a 2012 kite right now and finishing paying it off in the fall, would be waste of money since that 2012 kite would be worth 20% or 30% less at the end of the season when 2013 kites are coming out. So you pay full price of the latest and greates gear, but don't get to use it until the next latest and greatest gear comes out.

You'd be much better off stuffing money under your mattress and getting an end of season deal. If you don't think you'll be able to keep saving, you could open a seperate savings account and auto transfer money to that account.

I think Mint.com has some kind of auto save over time feature too.
Yep I have to agree, why would you give someone money to hold something for you that is losing value. Why not just save the money (earning interest) and use that as leverage to get a better deal in 6 months. At least then if your car breaks down or some unforeseen expense comes along you can always change your mind and make a choice of how to spend your money... there will always be the next awesome deal or kite... if shops start doing this the next thing we will start hearing about is how some kook gave abc shop money to hold a kite and they went out of business.... how do I get my money back blah blah blah...

Return to “Kitesurfing”