Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar Pressure Speed 2 vs Speed 3 and Ozone Edge Please

Postby TeabagVic » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 am

Hi everyone, is there anyone with experience riding the Speed2 AND Speed3 from Flysurfer???

If so can you please tell me an aproximate "Bar Pressure" between the two???

Speed2 vs Speed3 Bar pressure ???

This question is because someone told me that the Ozone Edge bar pressure is equal/similar to Speed2, was Speed 2 similar to Speed3??? (I experienced the Speed3 enough, but never rode the Speed2)

Another question (this would be the summon if I get an answer from NEUTRAL Kiteboarders, not a company trying to sell more), Does anyone here ever rode the Ozone Edge AND Speed 3 or 2 for at least two or three sessions? And could give a comparaison on bar pressure???

Just trying to switch back to inflatable, unfortunately it is getting VERY expensive buying new inflatables kites to realize after a one 1 hour session that my elbow tendonitis is coming back :(

I believe that I saw the light when reading some review on the Ozone Edge, but I dont want to buy a new one to realize I cant ride it.
Please DO NOT MSG ME WITH THESE: "Have you tried an elbow band?" OR "Have you tried these physiotherapy treatment" Or etc....... Do you seriously think that I bought brand new kites wihtout trying what was the cheapest option available to me in order to feed my kiteboarding adictions??? Keep your insult comment to yourself please.

I Love this Sport, I Am looking for a big air jumping kite with LOW/VERY LOW Bar presurre!!! (since the last 3-4 years).

I Could ride with NaiSh Cutl but unfortunately it doesnt jump that high compare to the Speed3.

Please share your experience on Speed2 vs Speed3 and/or even better vs Ozone edge bar pressure.

Thanks for any info, would be greatly apreciated, Ian

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Bar Pressure Speed 2 vs Speed 3 AND Ozone Edge PLEASE

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:58 am

I think the S3 has a little less bar pressure than the 2 - but they are pretty light to begin with...
You talking big FSer or like S3 12 and 15? I don't even notice the bar pressure on them, unless I'm working their asses off...

A bit OT I know but... I have a 2010 Crossbow 16 and 2011 XB 13 and 11 - with the new bridle design on the 2011, there's very little bar pressure at all. Much more pleasant to ride and use for long sessions. But I still feel that the Speed3's have less wear on my arms... probably cos I don't have to work the kite so often. ;)
I haven't tried the Edge though...

SS RPM had nice bar pressure, I enjoyed using the 14 even when I had to work it or was way over-powered... is Ozone your only other choice?

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bar Pressure Speed 2 vs Speed 3 and Ozone Edge Please

Postby fernmanus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 am

I have owned Speed 1 17m, Speed 2 15 & 19m. I currently own Speed 3 12, 15, & 21m. I also have 2011 Edge 9 & 11m kites. I have flown all of them at least 25 times. I also suffer from elbow tendonitis as I have been kiting for 12 years. I buy all of my own gear and I don't own a shop or pimp any brands. I have found some remedies for the tendonitis, but you just want to know about the bar pressure, so here goes...

The bar pressure on the Edge is quite light. I would say the it is in the same neighborhood as the Speed 3 kites. The other nice thing about these kites are that they are big air/hang time kites similar to the Speed. Hope that helps and take care of your elbows!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 am

yet i concur. speed 3 and edge have similar bar pressure (with the speed set on light bar pressure). i have 15m speed 3 dlx and 13m 2010 edge.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:42 am

I have the speed 3 19m and a few Ozone Edges. Bar pressure is not an issue with any of them.

:wink: CG

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island

Postby TeabagVic » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:22 am

Cool thanks for the answers!!!

Last question if you dont mind, (for the guys who own/flew Edge and Speed3):

Can you jump as high on the edge as you do on the Speed3?

And Fernmanus, what is your special remedy for the elbow?
So far what work most for me is Biofeedback therapy... Can kite all the time on Flysurfer kites.
But if I go back to inflatable, I am screwed... Or when I go back to the gym regularly, (even if I stay Flysurfer,) tendonitis will come back eventually.

To answer Kamikuza: Ozone is not my only choice, but reading review it seems like the Edge would be very similar of the Speed 3 for hang time (unless they are lying), and I really like the Speed3, own 12m and 15m.

I am looking for a small kite for high wind... 11m would be my high wind kite for sure, and maybe a 9m later on.

High wind here are kind of punchy, my 8m psycho4 is not the best in punchy conditions (launching from narrow punchy/gusty beach). I like to ride way over power by the way. Thanks again.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 am

the edge 13 will have almost a similar hangtime compared to a speed3 12. the bar pressure is close to the same for both kites ( a bit too light for me at first).hangtime wise , the edge 13 will be sub par compared to the 15 speed3 ( on the other side, it s might be logical, less projected area)

i have shoulders tendinites, sinning kites are painful after a while. so i aimed towards park and ride kites ot kites with light bar pressure.

the edge is a good alternative to the speed3 12, hangtime, bar pressure wise. dunno the price differences ( regular material for the FS), if i had to go for a LEI, the Edge is a very good solution despite the usual LEI drawbacks for my rides. i have yet to test the recent X-bow, i heard they killed the massive bar pressure.i also like the genetrix hydra with its massive depower.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Here's my review between 13m edge and 15 speed 3.

Edge is faster. faster turning, faster through the air and gives you faster board speed with aparent wind. Jumping is higher than speed but less glide (glide is still stupid good, but not as good as speed). more depower and easier to shut the power off. Better in chop as you can work the kite to get more power faster when the speed bogs down because its too slow.

Speed. more power, endless glide, straingly controllable at the top end of its range. more height with less speed. did i mention glide?.... its the glide monster.

Wind range for my 82 pies.

15m speed 3 dlx 8-22 knots sweet spot 14-18
13m edge 12-26 knots sweet spot 16-20
11m edge 15-30 knots sweet spot 18-25 knots

Not the longest glide i have ever done is on the 15m speed. the biggest jump and furtherest distance was on the 11m edge. pull the trigger on the 11m going 50 kph in 25 knots and the jumps are insane.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:04 pm

plummet wrote: ...
Wind range for my 82 pies.

15m speed 3 dlx 8-22 knots sweet spot 14-18
13m edge 12-26 knots sweet spot 16-20
11m edge 15-30 knots sweet spot 18-25 knots
I understand the difference in wind range because i'm 212lb, (96.3 pies).

My 11m Edge is insane for what it can handle, with almost NO bar pressure !

What year are your Ozones --plummet-- ?

Bille

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island

Postby TeabagVic » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Ooops cant believe I forget to ask, are we talking of Ozone Edge 2012??? (I dont think I can get my hand on new 2011-2010 Edge... Is the bar pressure on the Edge 2012 as low as those 2010-11?

Cant wait to buy the 11m!!! Hard to believe that it will bring me higher than the Speed3, but if it does... OH MY GOD !!! :) :) :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”