Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ban on Kitesurfing !

Postby Dan Glyaire » Wed May 09, 2012 5:07 pm

RichardM wrote:
All you really need to know is that there are MANY, MANY MILES of beaches where it would be perfectly feasible to allow kiting. Of course, this would mean REGULATING kiters to some extent and this would necessitate a certain amount of WORK. BANNING involves virtually NO work.
no, thats not all i really need to know.. show me something where it says says kitings been banned? i cant find anything, except lots of posts in lots of forums petitioning for it not to be banned?? nothing to say why, or when this happened, or that it did actually happen.
im thinking its b.s.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Dan Glyaire wrote:
RichardM wrote:
All you really need to know is that there are MANY, MANY MILES of beaches where it would be perfectly feasible to allow kiting. Of course, this would mean REGULATING kiters to some extent and this would necessitate a certain amount of WORK. BANNING involves virtually NO work.
no, thats not all i really need to know.. show me something where it says says kitings been banned? i cant find anything, except lots of posts in lots of forums petitioning for it not to be banned?? nothing to say why, or when this happened, or that it did actually happen.
im thinking its b.s.
Sounds to me like it's a State Park ban which wouldn't include beaches that are outside of NY state parks. I'm just guessing though.

In any case I did find something here... search the document for kite and there's something there.

http://nysparks.com/publications/docume ... ations.pdf

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Dan Glyaire wrote:
RichardM wrote:
im thinking its b.s.

Sorry Dan, but it is definitely real - although i don't know about enforcement and it only applies to State Parks (not just the beaches).

The issue arose a couple of years ago on an iKitesurf.com forum. I remember that someone posted a picture of a sign prohibiting kiting which looked homemade and NOT the work of an authority. So I started out thinking that it was BS but when I called, they insisted kiting was not allowed. However, the first couple of people I spoke to could not refer me to any regulation, ordinance or statute.

Since this is often a good indication that there may not be sufficient legal authority for the ban, I put a significant amount of effort into working my way up the authoritative food chain in order to get the actual regulation and the underlying authority for said regs.

I vaguely recall that some of the wording might have left a half-assed loophole but the local poster wanted to pursue a conciliatory approach and I had better things to do anyway so I didn't pursue the matter.

All my files are on one of my other computers, but if anyone's interested, I can probably find them.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

posey
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: not local to any beach's, we got a lake.
Favorite Beaches: Panama City Beach Florida
Style: freestyle

Postby posey » Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Dan Glyaire wrote:wouldnt sign it unless i know the story behind it..
cant find anything online about this ban..??
yep, oh and a side note the USA is awesome, it's just people like the http://www.nysparkpolice.org/ ... *cough* ..unions... that f~ things up because of lobbying and what not. It's so bad in NY that the state actually pays bad teachers, who are in unions, to sit at home. http://teachersunionexposed.com/bargaining.cfm

but i digress, as the old saying goes "there's always two sides to every coin" well when dealing with NY it's a f~ing Zocchihedron. :rollgrin:

Ted B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Ted B » Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I signed it hope it helps!!! Guys maybe one day you are going to NY and wanna kite a state park... Thats gotta be reason enough to sign it!!! What if it was your local area and people treated you like the negative guys here are.. Just sign it it is for kiting!!!!! Later ted B

william_rx7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby william_rx7 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:41 pm

This ban has been in effect for at least 5 years, maybe longer.
Stop stirring shit up without an action plan beyond a dumb-ass online poll.
Provide some information about the laws / rules / news about what's banned any why.

Have you guys seen Mr. Jones activity on the change.org website? Seems like he must be enjoying jerking the entire kiting community around, just to watch some silly poll numbers go up. Most likely he's going to harvest all the e-mails he's collected to sell.

Personally I think it's a scam, and bad karma to play with our good intentions in this way.

http://www.change.org/members/9214376

Nobody cares about clicks on change.org. Period.

:angryfire:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.

Postby frankm1960 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

william_rx7 wrote:**edit** This ban has been in effect for at least 5 years, maybe longer.
Well if you know that this ban has been in effect for 5yrs you must therefore know something about the laws/rules yourself maybe?

In any case I posted a link a few posts back to the NY state parks rules and regulations. There's a rule in there regarding kite flying in state parks... any kind of kite it looks like. I doubt this is what all the fuss is about but who knows.

I'm just curious on this more than anything.

william_rx7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby william_rx7 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 am

Check this one out. From 2009. 900+ clicks that didn't do anything...
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/13/reque ... -new-york/

In 2008, several people were posting about the ban at state parks on this forum.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCKitesurfers/

Look, I'm against the ban too, but to characterize this as a "new" ban, isn't right, and ignores the past efforts of other NY riders.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am

Ahh ok... I thought you may have known more details on who may have initiated the ban and why. That's still the big mystery :lol: I'm guessing it's the state park rules and regulations that prohibit kiting in the parks. Hard to say if there's a ban on kiting in non state park beaches. We'll probably never know.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks everyone for signing! It means a lot to us up here. Yes the state park beaches are banned now, but soon town beaches might follow suit. In any case, I would still find a way to kite. I would rig, launch, land in the water. Never setting the kite on state "land".

Whats the exact wording of the ban? How could they get me if I rigged in the water?

Please sign this. Think if it were your spot.
Andy

Return to “Kitesurfing”