Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What will be the kitesurfing gear for the Olympics?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What will be the kitesurfing gear for the Olympics?

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 am

was surprised by not seeing any foils in the list....
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... 0kites.pdf

any insight?

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 am

Tiago1973 wrote:was surprised by not seeing any foils in the list....
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... 0kites.pdf

any insight?
Wouldn't want anyone to have an unfair advantage ;)

I'm intrigued to see whether there will be restrictions on kite size - forcing everyone to use the same size kite would place riders at an advantage or disadvantage based on their weight.

Legless
Medium Poster

Postby Legless » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 am

Snowboarding isn't One Design, plenty of Olympic events aren't but you are right that in the past sailing events have been. Lets hope they let the kiters stick with the box rule, will be so much better for the riders, manufacturers and the sport in general in my honest opinion. With the Box rule we are all riding very similar equipment now, and the racing is much closer. No need to stifle the development and damage the sport...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 am

They are looking at different course designs for the Olympics, and I think they may be moving away from the deep downwind legs.

One of the big disadvantages for the foil boards was the deep downwind leg, so a possible problem could arise if they select a course that a 50 cm deep super efficient foil could be developed for.

Gebi
Medium Poster

Postby Gebi » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 am

No limit on kite size, not an issue. Foil kiteboards are different class.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 am

Gebi wrote:No limit on kite size, not an issue. Foil kiteboards are different class.

The IKA are going to create a different IKA class for foil boards, but I dont see anything in the rules at the moment to prevent a race board with a foil under 50cm deep competing with the normal tri-fin boards in the Olympics?

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I know this is a trial for the Olympics, but both "open" races with any gear, and "closed" races with specified gear is the way to go in the long run. The open classes really can push innovation in board and kite design. The closed discipline allows for true head to head racing, and there is a place for both. Throw in some judged events, because figure skating, snowboarding, freestyle skiing and gymnastics qualify, why not AirStyle? (throwing you a bone there Toby).

I'd watch both.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Legless wrote:Snowboarding isn't One Design, plenty of Olympic events aren't but you are right that in the past sailing events have been. Lets hope they let the kiters stick with the box rule, will be so much better for the riders, manufacturers and the sport in general in my honest opinion. With the Box rule we are all riding very similar equipment now, and the racing is much closer. No need to stifle the development and damage the sport...
Yeah, you'll have lots of money changing hands as I'm sure any manufacturer would fight hard to be the chosen kite in a closed race. Think of the Sales that would result. Every racer wannabe would by buying that brand of gear. I'd rather see the contestants pick their own gear. Everyone will choose the best gear for their weight and style. That choice is part of the skill.
The Captain wrote:I know this is a trial for the Olympics, but both "open" races with any gear, and "closed" races with specified gear is the way to go in the long run. The open classes really can push innovation in board and kite design. The closed discipline allows for true head to head racing, and there is a place for both. Throw in some judged events, because figure skating, snowboarding, freestyle skiing and gymnastics qualify, why not AirStyle? (throwing you a bone there Toby).

I'd watch both.
This first event will be a stepping stone. We get this in for one olympics, and then the following year maybe we see a kitercross event or some freestyle competitions. Snowboarding freestyle is one of the most watched and hyped events in the winter olympics and I'm sure they'd love that kind of draw for the summer olympics. I mean, the biggest draw currently is swimming, and in the grand scheme...it's kind of boring. But the commentators work really hard to make it interesting!

Gebi
Medium Poster

Postby Gebi » Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Brothers of the wind,

It was our plan from the start, to get Kiting into the Olympics through kite racing (our only path) and to then fight to get more medals for freestyle/airstyle in the Olympic Games.

IOC (international Olympic Committee) and ISAF especially are stoked to welcome kiting to the Summer Olympic Games and the kite race discipline, which will be a mix of course racing, some elements of slalom and some mandatory high speed jumps on the course, will show off the power, speed and skill of the riders and this amazing wind powered sport.

The Olympic final will be a 4 person short track race, with reaching starts, lots of possibilities for passing at the marks and a high speed jump on the way to the finish. 3 guys will win medals and the 4th will be the most famous 4th place kiter in the world! We already tested the forma and it looked awesome!!

It will be an awesome show as we already tested all these formats in Santander, Spain in March where we showed ISAF what we can do. It does not matter if the wind is light in Rio, as we already race in 4 to 5 knots and are going faaaaast in this wind, on the modern race equipment.

And the equipment is getting faster all the time and the skills of the riders always improving...

In 4 to 5 knots riders are doing 12 knots upwind speed and over 18 on a reach. In 7 knots riders are doing 14 plus knots up wind, and hitting 28 knots on a reach. Sick! All GPS data and wind meter verified and show to ISAF.

So no worries it will be an awesome Olympic event. Many of the top Olympic windsurfers have already stated they will race as well on kites as most of them already kite for fun. There are going to be some seriously talented new people coming into this event fast! Fun to see who ends up on top.

My phone is ringing off the hook for coaching already, from countries all around the world. Many new emerging nations are going to push into kiting. This is so awesome!! enjoy the ride!!

Gebi out. posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=2375602#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4763XQI6uQ video of some light air light air riding with Damo
here

and a video wrap up of kite racing on the PKRA tour...these guys :jump: are flying!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552QhLhAIEQ

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Gebi wrote:Brothers of the wind,

It was our plan from the start, to get Kiting into the Olympics through kite racing (our only path) and to then fight to get more medals for freestyle/airstyle in the Olympic Games.

IOC (international Olympic Committee) and ISAF especially are stoked to welcome kiting to the Summer Olympic Games and the kite race discipline, which will be a mix of course racing, some elements of slalom and some mandatory high speed jumps on the course, will show off the power, speed and skill of the riders and this amazing wind powered sport.

The Olympic final will be a 4 person short track race, with reaching starts, lots of possibilities for passing at the marks and a high speed jump on the way to the finish. 3 guys will win medals and the 4th will be the most famous 4th place kiter in the world! We already tested the forma and it looked awesome!!...
:bye: :bye: :bye: :thumb:
Sweet.

Nice work and thanks for chiming in with actual knowledge! Not just hearsay... :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”