Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Caribbean next week, any suggestions?

Forum for kitesurfers
kelhalla
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: parcuru, ilha guarijiru, the gorge, south padre, parts of ireland
Style: freeride, wakesyle, waves
Gear: HQ, Griffin, Wainman, Mystic
(reformed Best products buyer)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Caribbean next week, any suggestions?

Postby kelhalla » Wed May 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Flying into USVI Saturday for a week of Catamaran sailing. Any recs for good places to kite? Just bought a 9 and 12 meter and looking for wind.
Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Caribbean next week, any suggestions?

Postby RickI » Wed May 09, 2012 5:15 pm

There are lots of options since you will be on a sailboat. Are you practiced at boat launch, it will help if you are? I would try to put in a trip to Anegada if you don't mind the distance. It is the furthest point away in the BVI. Still, it is worth it if the trade winds are pumping through. It is one of the better beach launch areas in VI. You should hit some of the islands along the south side of Drake Channel, Dead Chest, Salt, Cooper, etc.. You can get some nice winds just north of St. John and south of Little Thatch.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah, I just got back from St. Croix and PR for a week for work/kiteboarding. Check with Bill Kraft with Kite St. Croix, nice guy, great location. The launches can be a bit sketchy if you don't know exactly where to go.

kelhalla
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: parcuru, ilha guarijiru, the gorge, south padre, parts of ireland

Postby kelhalla » Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I can rent boards easily at most places with good wind? I'd rather not deal with the airlines and a full board if possible.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 am

No, I would say likely not. I would think you could rent one from Bill Kraft but a lot of the places with good wind, are away from the islands. There aren't that many kite schools either as far as I know through the islands. The VI are often high islands with prominent headlands that cause serious wind shadow. That is why boat launch works so well among the islands. Depending on the exact wind direction some beach areas might work while others may not. I am not sure if Bill will be ok with you taking the board from his beach/launch area for your cruise or not. I would contact him and other kite operations along your itinerary and see what they say.

I would also check out http://www.windsurfing.vi/KiteboardingGuide.pdf for the BVI. Some of this information may be dated as I believe access may have been lost in some of these areas over the years.

kelhalla
Medium Poster

Postby kelhalla » Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 am

The captain said St. Croix is 38 miles a way so it would be a long way to go each way on the boat.
But we can kite at The Bitter End Yacht club - any experience with that?
Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri May 11, 2012 12:25 pm

When I was last there Sir Richard hadn't purchased adjoining Mosquito Island across the channel to the north from Bitter End. You could setup and launch there from the beach previously. I am not sure if it is still allowed however. Bitter End itself is totally in the lee of a mountain to windward and not kiteable. It is a tricky, advanced launch but you might be able to launch in the narrow verge bordering the channel to the north from the Bitter End side. If there is much tidal flow getting back could be rough and again you'll be in the lee of things.

I am confused, are you going to BVI or USVI? St. Croix is in the USVI which is a relatively small island group. Bitter End on Virgin Gorda, BVI is way to the east of USVI. It is within about 10 miles of Anegada to the north however, one of the few places that comes to mind that allows "typical" beach launch you may be used to. Boat launch is a good way to go in much of the BVI, hint. I would read over the BVI kiting guide again, allowing that some of it might be dated, if that is where you are bound.

kelhalla
Medium Poster

Postby kelhalla » Fri May 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Hey Ricki - thanks for the continued info.

I'm flying into USVI saturday (tomorrow)
The captain of the catamaran (it isn't a kitesurfing cat - I'm just trying to make it one:) wrote this

"We have put together an itinerary for you and it can be adjusted. During your trip here, we are going to North Sound, Virgin Gorda, to the Bitter End Yacht Club. There is a shop there that has boards, kites, and lessons. Also, we have seen many people boarding there. "

The folks at this place seem to rent some gear, looks like they are in Virgin Gorda
http://www.caribkiteboarding.com/index2.asp

Think I should just bring the 12 or both 9 and 12?
Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri May 11, 2012 9:02 pm

I thought the kite school had shut down at the Bitter End a few years back otherwise I would have mentioned them to you. If you checkout the photos it looks like the riding area is between Mosquito Island and Virgin Gorda. They may have prepared a launch area into North Sound from Virgin Gorda, hope so. If that is the case, launching and landing may be a lot easier than when I was last there. I would give them a call to confirm things at the shop if you have time before your flight. I would still ask your Captain about Anegada, he may not be able to fit it in but it is a great stop for kiters if the wind is on.

It looks like 12 m weather but you never know that could change and I don't know your comfortable wind range with it. If you could fit the 9 m in, you might take it. If you take it, it might not get used but if you don't that might be the signal for some unusual 9 m weather.

kelhalla
Medium Poster

Postby kelhalla » Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks Ricki,

All good advice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”