Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle/Steez
Gear: Zeeko Krush 9m
Cabrinha Switchblade 12m
Brand Affiliation: I wish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xenon La Luz or ABoard W Series?

Postby Tyler_Durden_17 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey guys, new member but long-time lurker.

I'm looking to buy a new board.

I have the choice between a Xenon La Luz 2011 ou an ABoard W Series.

My level is beginner. I am just starting to tricks but can already "go" where I want to on the water.

I'd like to practice un-hooked tricks, but my knee's are crappy (small tear to both of my ACL's in the past, and tore a ligament in my ankle).

What board would you recommend? I can't find much info on the Aboard W series (a mate is willing to sell his for 350€, but i'm afraid its to advanced to learn new tricks on and to stiff).

Thanks!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Xenon La Luz or ABoard W Series?

Postby dyyylan » Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 am

It depends on what you want out of a board, if you're going to ride boots then the W series is awesome, I rode my friend's for a few hours and it's right up there with other wakestyle boards, in my opinion. Loads up and pops great, lots of rocker to absorb chop and hard landings. It's a fairly stiff board.

If you're going to switch to boots and €350 is a good price then I'd recommend it, it's a great board. If you're going to ride straps, though, you should probably look at a freestyle board, like the aboards X series, liquid force nova, etc, as they will perform much better for that type of thing...

Kitemare123
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitemare123 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 am

Get the LaLuz, its an amazing board with great performance and amazing ride. Your knees will thank you for it!

Tyler_Durden_17
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere in the Netherlands
Cabrinha Switchblade 12m

Postby Tyler_Durden_17 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 am

dyyylan wrote:It depends on what you want out of a board, if you're going to ride boots then the W series is awesome, I rode my friend's for a few hours and it's right up there with other wakestyle boards, in my opinion. Loads up and pops great, lots of rocker to absorb chop and hard landings. It's a fairly stiff board.

If you're going to switch to boots and €350 is a good price then I'd recommend it, it's a great board. If you're going to ride straps, though, you should probably look at a freestyle board, like the aboards X series, liquid force nova, etc, as they will perform much better for that type of thing...
I want to start out riding straps and progressively turn to boots (apparently its much harder). The straps on the X Series (D3O) seem nice though.

I'm tempted to get a La Luz but I can't find a one at a decent price..

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Tue May 15, 2012 10:57 am

Kitemare123 wrote:Get the LaLuz, its an amazing board with great performance and amazing ride. Your knees will thank you for it!
+ 1 on this, my knees are shot away, came from a Misfit to the 2011 Laluz, what a difference. The Laluz was the answer to my problem, soft on the landings and edges just fine,

I now have the 2012 Laluz, it is a bit stiffer but still soft on the landings. Have you thought about getting the 2010 one, plain graphics but still a great board, I think it was voted best board of 2010? Can't comment on the other board but good luck :thumb:

Tyler_Durden_17
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere in the Netherlands
Cabrinha Switchblade 12m

Postby Tyler_Durden_17 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:49 am

For those who ride a La Luz, what kind of style would you describe your riding? What kind of tricks do you do?

I want to practice un-hooked tricks.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Tyler La Luz will work fine for unhooked freestyle riding, but it is not a wakestyle board. It has nothing to do with a wakeboard. It is completely flat and all of it's pop comes from edge grip, not from rocker like a wakeboard.

If you ride that board with boots it will break sooner or later, depending on how much you weight.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Tue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm

+1 for LaLuz

madcowboy
Frequent Poster

Postby madcowboy » Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Go for LA LUZ with no doubt!!
From a proud Xenon owner!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue May 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Tyler_Durden_17 wrote:
I want to start out riding straps and progressively turn to boots (apparently its much harder). The straps on the X Series (D3O) seem nice though.

I'm tempted to get a La Luz but I can't find a one at a decent price..
Riding with boots isnt any harder than straps, it's just harder to go upwind of you're not powered up. Some people say straps are easier for learning tricks but I feel a lot safer having the board attached to me.

The big rocker of wakestyle boards will help your knees just as much as a noodle like the laluz will

Rocker boards just suck with straps. That's the only concern... If you want to sometimes put straps on it then look at a crossover board like the LF influence, it can do both well. Either that or get a floppy freestyle board now and a separate board for boots later (best option).

Return to “Kitesurfing”