Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ankle support recommendation anyone?

Forum for kitesurfers
Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ankle support recommendation anyone?

Postby Erlend M B » Sun May 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Chillbay wrote:Hi, had surgery on my heal bone and small amount on Achilles tendon 6 weeks ago, they had to cut some bone away, I think they call it "pump bump". Anyway there are lots of ankle supports out there, can anyone recomend one to use for kiting, all the ones I've looked at are for dry use, want to get back on the water sooner rather than later so any help would be aprecated :thumb:
Ronix cell :wink:

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I like the zhik barefoot booties. I mostly use it for abrassion resistance if I have an cut or abrassion on my foot but it provides a little ankle support. I'v only done minor twists so I'm not sure how it would work for major rehab but it's worth a try.

Paracuru KiteVillage
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Quabra Mar Paracuru, Ceara, North East Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Paracuru, Brazil
Sakalava Bay, Madagascar
Style: freestyle, freeride & wave
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: http://www.paracurukitevillage.com/

Postby Paracuru KiteVillage » Sun May 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Good thread. Im also looking for some ankle support devise. Anything that helps stabalise the ankle after a heavy trimalleolar fracture. I've found some which work with velkro but aren't meant for water use...
Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. :thumb:

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Mon May 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks guys some good suggestion here. Boots sound good but way too expencive at the moment, sounds like the best short term solution is a mcdavid brace using the lace up Velcro crossover version, or sit it out for a few more weeks, thanks to all those who came up with some ideas :thumb:

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby yzbob » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

Hi check out this site it has excellent supports and braces, I used the ankle support same as andy murray uses for tennis, but there are other ones depending on how much support/restricted movement your are looking for.

http://www.aircast.com/index.asp/fuseac ... list/cat/1

kiteiwi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leighton Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Augusta WA
Safety Bay WA
Wedge WA
Leighton WA
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2009 12m Naish Cult
2010 9m Naish Helix

Postby kiteiwi » Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 am

Chillbay as hard as it is to sit it out for a bit longer from my experience i recommend it. I went against my phsyio's advice early on in my recovery and went out kiting a few times with just taping on. Unfortunately it wasn't worth it, i took a few heavy knocks combined with the constant low level impact of chop and it set my recovery back 2-3 weeks. It wasn't until i ceased all activities that caused impact to the ankle that it started to really improve. The brace i have is good for my type of injury not sure about yours?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue May 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Chillbay wrote:Hi, had surgery on my heal bone and small amount on Achilles tendon 6 weeks ago, they had to cut some bone away, I think they call it "pump bump". Anyway there are lots of ankle supports out there, can anyone recomend one to use for kiting, all the ones I've looked at are for dry use, want to get back on the water sooner rather than later so any help would be aprecated :thumb:

Brace or no brace you need to ditch the straps. Straps put enormous strain on the feet, ankles and knees.

I would also recommend getting an Aviso surfboard to kite with. These boards are hollow and have a shock absorbing quality to them. They have very rigid rails and very little nose to tail flex. This keeps them efficient and precise to ride. The great thing about them is that they have loads of flex in the deck and hull along the centerline, The board basically absorbs chop by going more or less concave.

here is an animation that illustrates the flex pattern:

http://www.avisosurf.com/FEA.html

Might be just the right time to get into strapless riding while you recover.

Loads of fun can be had on flat water with a skimboard too, however the impact on chop with a short and fat skimboard is not too good.

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Wed May 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Had my 2nd physio session today, lady said give it another few weeks before getting back on the water, but she gave me a few exercises to help strengthen the ankle which can help anyone who thinks their ankles are weak.

1. Stand upright arms forward, now stand on the balls of your feet and hold. Then back down so your heals remain off the ground, hold, then back up on your toes. Should repeat this a few times a day.
2. When brushing your teeth try doing it on one leg, as you progress go up on your toes.
3. Stand on one leg and throw a ball against a wall so it comes back so you can catch it.
4. Use an exercise band, like a big elastic band, hold one end and place the other end around your foot. Pull on the band and hold, now with a straight leg (sitting down) flex your foot away as much as you can and hold for 5 seconds, still pulling on the band slowly let your foot flex pointing up towards you stretching you achilles slowly, I was told to do this 15 times a day slowly building up.

All these moves are meant to build muscle up in your ankles, stop sprains etc. someone posted an ankle support, a McDavid, I showed her and she said it would be good as an additional support and should be ok for water use, I will do my exercises, wait a few weeks and use a support, hopefully that way I will have a better chance of full recovery. Hope this helps someone, please seek professional advice before doing the above :thumb:

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Thu May 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't bother with braces see if you're physio can show you how to tape it for that particular injury,
These fit way better and can restrict motion in the undesired direction much better, Not sure about achilles but I've buggered my ankles lots and hate the braces.

Return to “Kitesurfing”