Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Brain cells impaired during kite launches and riding

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm

We all seen it......Amped up on many energy drinks launching quickly in Hyper mode......++++
On the water trowing moves too close to shore or other kiters taking unecessary risks

It is glorified in videos but a cool head is usually better that hot head in crazy/windy conditions

I think in very high wind there is enough adrenaline already...that coolness is preferable

The exact opposite also we have seen......lunchbreak with many beers or 2 olives martinis
Buzzed out but the other way......complacent...in their own world
Once saw a kiter drink 2 16 oz can of Icehouse beer than start zooming around on kite landboard

Who knows what some people are "on" while they set-up to go out kiting

............Impaired kiting....similarity to texting while driving........can be a deadly combo

Maybe what Toby witnessed that day about people ignoring dangers was just that

.................. :D ..............................................................................................

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Re: Brain cells impaired during kite launches and riding

Postby chemosavi » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm more concerned about brain cell impaired posters.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:58 pm

chemosavi wrote:I'm more concerned about brain cell impaired posters.
At ease Puss'n Jaws you are safe at your kite spot....i'm off the Space coast of Florida

How much "chemo" did kitty undergo ? Does it have 1/2cat-1/2 shark brain cells now?

:thanx: for your "witty" real fun unimpaired post :lol: .......... :D ...... :surf: :surf: :sun: :sun: .............

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:43 am

SupaEZ wrote:We all seen it......Amped up on many energy drinks launching quickly in Hyper mode......++++
On the water trowing moves too close to shore or other kiters taking unecessary risks

It is glorified in videos but a cool head is usually better that hot head in crazy/windy conditions

I think in very high wind there is enough adrenaline already...that coolness is preferable

The exact opposite also we have seen......lunchbreak with many beers or 2 olives martinis
Once saw a kiter drink 2 16 oz can of Icehouse beer than start zooming around on kite landboard

............Impaired kiting....similarity to texting while driving........can be a deadly combo

.................. :D ..............................................................................................
Drinking and kiting is not a good combo, also a bad idea when snowboarding or skiing but much worse when kiting.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:23 am

Haven't seen many topics more ridiculous in the 9 years I've been a member of this forum for than this one. What the flying f'ck are you gonna do about it?

Blood test kiters before they enter the water?

Start a "Don't let your friends kite with too much caffeine" club?

Why not just ban kitesurfing altogether so nobody has to worry about anything....

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:11 am

SupaEZ wrote: ...
The guys who try that while Hang or Para gliding , mostly have
a way of eating Sh*t & dying ; then we don't see them any more !

Bille

fokiten
Frequent Poster

Postby fokiten » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:53 am

SupaEZ wrote:We all seen it......Amped up on many energy drinks launching quickly in Hyper mode......++++

Regards,

He said, and I'll paraphrase, " Speak not of the moat in thine neighbor's eye, yet consider the beam in thine own".

Enough said..

Here's yet another case where a well worn saw addresses the matter in total, and

truth be told one need not be impaired to put one's self in peril with a Kite:

It's the nature of the beast to lure the enthusiast to greater challenges, and yeah,that's just how it is.

To me it smacks of Bollux to see a post like this from a guy who seems to be "wet his boardies-excited" to tell the world he's the fastest launch on the beach...

Just my opinion...I don't know man, you're on your way to obscurity..

Again just my take on your weak ass patter...

Slow down, enjoy a cool refreshing beverage, and watch the water for a spell before you just go for it...

That ought to make you safer...
Right-on
fo

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 am

chemosavi wrote:I'm more concerned about brain cell impaired posters.
+100

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:19 pm

chemosavi wrote:Haven't seen many topics more ridiculous in the 9 years I've been a member of this forum for than this one.
I am sure i will come up with even sillier topics in the future.....just stay "posted"
Silly as they are they still have some truth of in it :D

...............sincerely... a recovering....Redbullaholic........12 step jibes anyone ??.... :surf: :sun: ............

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:35 pm

fokiten wrote:truth be told one need not be impaired to put one's self in peril with a Kite:

It's the nature of the beast to lure the enthusiast to greater challenges, and yeah,that's just how it is.
Hear, hear.

The sad thing, of course, is that we are not unaware of this. On every occasion that I have been in trouble in one form or another while kiting, there had at some point beforehand been a voice in the back of my head telling me, "Hey, you know, this isn't wise. Time for a break." Did I listen? Well, no, not at those times.

Teaching myself to pay attention to that voice has been one of the hardest challenges for me in this sport. The trouble, of course, is that it can be so rewarding to not listen. A few months ago, I ended up doing a long downwinder, alone, in big waves, notable currents, and flukey side-to-side-off wind along a coastline that I was only vaguely familiar with. (Let's skip my justifications for going, because in the end they were just that - justifications.) Did it turn into one of the best sessions of my life? Yes. Was it really stupid? Yes, that too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”