Forum for kitesurfers
gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hindenburg.....What to do?

Postby gbgreen59 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:34 pm

I pull in on one rear line enough to slightly turn the kite, then let out the real line as the lines start to tension. Keeps the kite from yanking and keeps it from continuing to fall LE down.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Yep works sometimes, it's not an exact science, if the kite is falling in front of you pulling on steering lines can stall it, if it's falling right then grabbing the front lines high up and giving them a pull can sort it out. My Torches don't really hindenburg, they just glide back and you can catch them on the front lines, obviously if the kite is upside down then pulling on front lines won't do much

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Yep, pulling on the front lines could also result in the following (2nd part of the video): :cool2:

I'm with edt and plummet on this one:
  • * If you're on the beach, run upwind to tension the lines
    * If you're in the water and the wind is strong, throw the safey
    * If you're in the water and the wind is weak, wait
I would add that if you're in the water and the wind is weak, you could quickly pull in on the uppermost steering line, to hopefully get that line to go tight and cause the kite to pivot around and start climbing before the kite has a chance to crash into the water. However, be careful if you want to try that. Make sure that the line doesn't loop around your hand...

Edit: On review I see that gbgreen59 already made that suggestion...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 am

Works for me, if you dont feel comfortable doing it then dont do it, there is no definate answer. Personally I wouldn't pull the release at all, I've had kites Hindenburg loads of times, just let it do it's thing if you're lucky you can sort it out if not just relaunch it once it's hit the water. May get yanked a bit, so what no big deal. If it falls in front just let bar out to depower incase it relaunches, if it falls to one side or upside down then just let it go.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 am

JGTR wrote:Grab front lines, let bar out, can usually catch it before it hits the water :thumb:
Bingo! That has worked for me many, many times.

Actually, I immediately sheet-out first and if the kite fails to respond, then grab the front (power line) and give a good jerk and that has never failed me unless the wind has totally died.

The absolute worst thing to do is to sheet-in - that will only make matters worse and accelerate the kite dropping from the sky.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 am

Intersting responses. Thanks.

Once, near land and in a an unrecoverable hindy drop, I went into survival mode and dropped the bar and grabbed one front line and began pulling it in hand over hand like a mad man. It worked for me and I think saved my ass.

When it happens to me in water and i cant recover it, I usually let go of the bar and just hang on for the ride. There is that tense few seconds though when you watch exactly where the kite is falling and how it looks like its going to catch wind. God I hate it when it drops and catches back on in the hot launch position. You know your nads are going for a ride on that one. :o

And Saami, I have seen that video before. Im going to refrain from commenting on that launch method because Im frankly at a loss for words.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am

Krazedkiter wrote:And Saami, I have seen that video before. Im going to refrain from commenting on that launch method because Im frankly at a loss for words.
:cool2: :thumb:

chilidip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach & Pier 1
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach, Texas
Style: One handed Bucking Bronco
Gear: Slingshot REV 11m
Eclipse NaNo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None :-(

Postby chilidip » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Krazedkiter wrote:Just curious and maybe we can learn something.

What do you think is the best way to handle a kite that is falling straight down out of the sky. There are several reasons that can cause it and Im sure we know what they are, but putting that aside.....how do you react. What safety features/actions would you initiate? Assume a 15+ not wind.

Edit:

Should add that scenario 1 could be on water away from shore and scenario 2 could be on or near land possibly at launch or while waiting to land

DO NOT hold your kite @ 12

STOP sheeting out so much!

If it H-Bombs on land... Skurry downwind towards the kite, so as to not let the lines tension.

No tension = No power

Let go of the BAR before it crashes!!! No Bar = No Power

Return to “Kitesurfing”