Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Utah Kiter sets new jump record

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Utah Kiter sets new jump record

Postby tautologies » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:57 pm

That totally happened to me too....but I was 151 feet up. By my estimation...and I have the pic to prove it....

(but yeah cool story)
Attachments
pixar-up-house-balloons-single1[1].jpg
pixar-up-house-balloons-single1[1].jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Glad it turned out ok. I have yet to fully understand why we don't suffer uplift lofting more than we do. Not that I am complaining of course, just puzzled. It is similar to gliding into ridge lift which is extremely common in hang gliding and paragliding. Escaping gravity while inserting the kite into a viable lift band may be part of it. A number of us have been lofted after small jumps on land after we have escaped gravity. Soarable lift bands can develop in fairly low wind speeds and can extend well to seaward upwind of the vertical feature and well above it too.

Anyway, there was an indepth thread about uplift lofting that came out in 2010 with some good videos, figures and discussion at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2362950

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Insane story. sounds like he just made it. yikes.

I had a similar thing happen to me but in a lot smaller scale. my estimation was i was my line length above the water. i sent my 11m edge for a jump in gusty 20-30 knots and wind up to a normal hieight then got pulled up again double that... then a third lift up with the bar completely out. I hover super high for what seems like a long time. but probably only a couple of seconds.
Then i start to decend normally. So i just held the kite at athe zenith bar out and landed normally with a bit of a redirect and power up of the bar.

So no where near as dramatic as this bloke. I had about 1km directly downwind before land so i was sweet. as far as land goes.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Another happy ending, glad you made it down ok Plummet. It is a hard way to learn it but it seems once you have been uplift lofted, the kites variable AOA feature with BOW/flat kites doesn't seem to have much impact on your climb rate. You go up until lift forces transitions to sink, letting you down again, sometimes very hard. A graphic example of a 1200 ft. elliptical lateral uplift lofting to about 80 to 100 ft. up in which the kiter was amazingly uninjured is described at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2358333&hilit=1200

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Erlend M B » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:51 am

RickI wrote:Escaping gravity while inserting the kite into a viable lift band may be part of it. A number of us have been lofted after small jumps on land after we have escaped gravity.
You are in for a Nobel prize in physics :)

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 am

Hi all. Lofting? Probably yes. Something similar happened to me four years ago. I was kiting in marginal conditions (7/10 Knots) with a Cabrinha Contra 14 and a SS Glide when during a front loop suddenly I was lofted. Before this gust I didn’t notice white cups or other sign of it whatsoever. In the picture below you can see, in front of me, a windsurfer with no wind in this sail! I landed properly that jump and I was lucky because the gust hit me on the water!
A big ciao from Italy
Carlo
Attachments
t8.jpg
t8.jpg (32.67 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:58 am

I say you get full credit for lofting IF you sent the kite meaning to jump (not just random accident) AND you land and kite away. Probably a lot of our big air jumps get a little updraft which has a a bit of a loft...

if you loop on the way down you get bonus points

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 am

RickI wrote:I have yet to fully understand why we don't suffer uplift lofting more than we do...
It is similar to gliding into ridge lift which is extremely common in hang gliding and paragliding.
Think of ridge lift as a river of air, and likewise for a rising thermal column of air.

There isn't much space for such a phenomenon to materialize in the short distance between the surface and the height of a normally flown kite.

That's why I suspect most vertical air currents that affect kites are the result of rotor turbulence, or similar conditions.

Cheers,
James

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis
Been thanked: 0

Postby g-force junkie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Billie Bordy
Dude you've been pushing the limits from the beginning and I'm proud to know you! I'd like to know you for a long time!!!

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 am

JS wrote:
RickI wrote:I have yet to fully understand why we don't suffer uplift lofting more than we do...
It is similar to gliding into ridge lift which is extremely common in hang gliding and paragliding.
Think of ridge lift as a river of air, and likewise for a rising thermal column of air.

There isn't much space for such a phenomenon to materialize in the short distance between the surface and the height of a normally flown kite.

That's why I suspect most vertical air currents that affect kites are the result of rotor turbulence, or similar conditions.

Cheers,
James
A dust devil can pick a paraglider up off the ground at launch. See a few u tubes of this. Agree?

Return to “Kitesurfing”