TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Pivots, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Re: Achilles Tendon Support

Postby TheRussian » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I severed my Achilles in March '18 (snowboarding) & started kiting in August that year. It was painful doing boosts, wave-riding & particularly hydrofoiling to start off with, but now its no worse than my other ankle (that had multiple fractures to tib & fib still with plates & bolts - kiting injury).

My physio was OK, but seemed to plateau out - but in last 3 months, the achilles pain has improved dramatically as a result of building up impact resistance by running on a treadmill every day. The other exercise that helps is to go on a hack squat machine in the gym and do jumping calf raises on alternate feet, so as to load up the ankle in a controlled way.

I would advise staying off the pills, as you are better off being aware of when it hurts more (ie. above ambient pain), so as to prevent re-rupture, although my surgeon advised this usually happens at 1 year post-operation. The comment above regarding re-ruptures seems optimistic, as I know x1 person who re-ruptured & my surgeon has treated multiple cases of re-ruptures.

Remember that if you use bindings, you just shift the load up to the knee - for me I prefer f#c#ed ankles to knees, as they are way harder to replace !!

Good luck!

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Achilles Tendon Support

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 am

Levaquin® and Zithromax - years ago my MD prescribed these for me. I took several doses, then read the fine print. Scared the crap out of me and I immediately stopped taking them. If I recall correctly, the after effects could surface months and years later in your tendons and ligaments, becoming "brittle".

Return to “Kitesurfing”