Style: freestyle
Gear: 145 Cab Rival with 2010 Sync Bindings
2012 14m LF NRG light breeze
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wind Observations

Postby celly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm

How accurate are wind observations? Is there a length of time where predictions are pretty much useless (ex. over 3 days). And what sites do you use to see when your next kiting session is going down? Im from Canada and use localkitespots and sailflow, any other reliable sources you could share with a new kiter?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wind Observations

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:51 pm

celly wrote:How accurate are wind observations? Is there a length of time where predictions are pretty much useless (ex. over 3 days). And what sites do you use to see when your next kiting session is going down? Im from Canada and use localkitespots and sailflow, any other reliable sources you could share with a new kiter?
They can be extremely accurate - as well as almost useless :wink:

Observation stations are sometimes located "not perfect", so even in onshore winds there can be shadowing so they show less, especially in some wind directions.
Although, they aim for being up at ten meters height, with free wind.
But not always the case...

Other stations can have a ridge, from a building or trees or similar, that will in fact accelerate the wind speed, so it will show more wind that in reality.

So you got to learn to know your local stations, and add a little or subtract a little - depending on wind direction of course.

Regarding predictions, if a low/high pressure system area, you can sometimes see two days ahead
but most often not more than that - only as a rough guideline whether to expect stable (bad weather without wind) or unstable (awesome with lots of wind) weather.
But the wind direction and strength can not be known untill quite late.

Sometimes a forecast two days ahead can also be useless :o

But one day forward is relatively "safe" with the datapower and experience they got today.

And I like that you actually ask :thumb:

Because, if one got no experience with water or flight sports - one can not know how it works.

So often have we seen some new kitesurfers, looking at the forecast for saturday, when it is only monday - and arranging with many others that they would go out that saturday as the wind will be "perfect" :lol:
And that is NEVER going to happen - a forecast so long forward will change, maybe even radically, 3-6 times before you get to saturday, most often (when talking low pressure systems that is) :rollgrin:

Most locations around the world got their very own weather systems though - so there are huge differences all over.
Some has very predictable and the same (extremely boring) low thermal winds every day - others got extremely strong mountain or special winds.
And combinations with really strong winds because of thermals and sometimes added effects to form really heavy wind.

But the low pressure systems at the northern (or southern) hemisphere, works in somewhat the same way typically, but with some differences though, but can deliver all winds ranging from absolutely zero and buttersmooth flat water if no swell, to storm or even hurricanes occasionally 8)

I think you have to ask some who lives in your local area - how reliable the predictions are ?

Hope it was some help ?

:D Peter

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I have setup a weather station in our spot. That is accurate :-)
About forecasts i have a theory that windguru has a commercial model that puts good forecasts 5 days ahead so that you go there more often and they get more pageviews :-)
Usually local forecasts (from local weather channels) are more accurate than global providers like windguru and windfinder.
Unfortunatelly they don't bother much about windspeed (15 or 25 knots) so you have to map the "moderate wind" to the meaning in your specific spot.
There is a guy in my spot that is using the data from my weather station to adjust the forecast model. Nothing public (and may never be as it might end up in lost in a hard-drive like most of academic work... :-( )

adrianoliguori
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barra do Cunhaú
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo 9m2, Cabrinha Switchblade 12m2, Dakine Pyro Harness, Kiteloose board

Postby adrianoliguori » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Wawando wrote:I have setup a weather station in our spot. That is accurate :-)
About forecasts i have a theory that windguru has a commercial model that puts good forecasts 5 days ahead so that you go there more often and they get more pageviews :-)
Usually local forecasts (from local weather channels) are more accurate than global providers like windguru and windfinder.
Unfortunatelly they don't bother much about windspeed (15 or 25 knots) so you have to map the "moderate wind" to the meaning in your specific spot.
There is a guy in my spot that is using the data from my weather station to adjust the forecast model. Nothing public (and may never be as it might end up in lost in a hard-drive like most of academic work... :-( )

Wawando, how did you "set it up"? Which equipment did you use?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm

If the top of the palm trees at my beach move a little...... i can go
If not i don't.......that is the only observation i need :D

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm

+1 with SupaEz

celly
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: 145 Cab Rival with 2010 Sync Bindings
2012 14m LF NRG light breeze

Postby celly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks a lot Peter Frank, very helpful. Do you find that wind seep is easier to easier to predict than wind direction? Based on the sites I use, the direction changes quite a bit...

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:43 pm

celly,

around the sh#thole where we live the only forecasts that are more or less accurate are these for no-wind. For the rest, unless a big storm or hurricane is passing by the coast, you can't really count on anything over 2 days.

That being said, i'm sure I'm not the only one who'd noticed that this year forecasts are particularly unstable. At least for the North American's East coast. Not to mention very weird windstats. By about now we've already been like 6 times in Cap Cod last season, but in this season - not even once since February! :angryfire: OBX on the other hand is blasting this summer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”