Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Harness life expectancy?

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:10 pm

My seat harness has about 60 sessions on it - maybe 2 hours average per - but the leg straps are starting to pull away from their attachment points ... won't be long till they rip off :(

Is that a lot of hours use and normal wear'n'tear ... am I expecting too much from a harness?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Harness life expectancy?

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I have more than that on my 2010 dakine renegade and I don't see it dying any time soon, the only thing is the strap that holds the spreader bar down is starting to get a little frayed from sticking it through the buckle so many times.

I could see a seat harness wearing out quicker though, because of the leg straps. But would think it would last longer than a year for sure, all the old guys at our spot that use seat harnesses have ones from like 2005

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 pm

I remember a lot of people saying they get a couple of years out of harnesses - but I'm sure they were waist harnesses ... the seat leg straps get some pressure put on them for sure!

But that's 60 session since the start of November last year. No less than an hour, up to about 4 hours ... is that a lot or not?

Rest of the harness looks fine - just where the leg straps join the body of the harness ...

Looking at the North Transformer but worried they'll be too small - like the Session 2 XL I have :(

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tswierkocki » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Sounds like a lot of wear but I have never used a seat harness. I've been kiting since 2001 and I'm on my fourth waist harness. The first one was a DaKine and the spreader bar webbing tore out (not good). My second harness was another DaKine that I used until the spreader webbing looked too worn to be safe. After that I switched to Prolimit and used used that for a bunch of years until the whole harness was completely worn out. Got the same exact Prolimit harness and it has about a year or two left in it until it is completely shot. I haven't had any spreader bar webbing wear issues with the two Prolimit harnesses. I have been super happy with the Prolimit harnesses.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:36 pm

I've got way more wear than that on my 2 year old Mystic shadow, but again it is a waist harness.

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive
Been thanked: 0

Postby sfpete » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Leg straps would seem fixable (so would spreader bar straps). My OR sessions harness has a lot more than 60 sessions and the leg straps are still going strong.

maxpowers
Medium Poster

Postby maxpowers » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I have been using LF luxury harnesses for the past 6 years.
every year i end up with a new one, and i give away the old one. They still look brand new :o
about 80 long sessions a year on those things, I just saw my 2007 one down at the beach, yesterday, still going! I have never had anything even close to come unstitched, maybe a little wear on the inside but from the outside they look new.

Im not one to come on here and post about gear but these things continually blow my mind with there durability. I am in fresh or brackish water though, so they don't get salty but i would expect 350 plus sessions on one.

they are crazy!

one session = 3-6 hours of riding.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm

my mystic warrior (waist)has been going since 4 or 5 years at about 100 sessions per year. I'm thinking i should replace it soon. but it still looks sweet. Thinking i should change it soon even though it looks good!

On the other hand i also use a ozone snow kite harness. they last about 1 hard out year before the webbing starts to frey.

Diego K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isla del Ciervo
Favorite Beaches: Isla del Ciervo, Calblanque,Coche island
Style: Freeride - waves - freestyle
Gear: Cult 2009 10.5m and 7.5
Thorn 2007 129x39.5

Surfboard Sold

Postby Diego K » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Mine lasts between 2 adn 3 years. the last i had was a Naish KL Pro, now i have a mystic Code 1

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 pm

sew it back on. I used a hand awl and heavy waxed thread to put back on my attachment points when they ripped, now it's stronger than when it was brand new.

Return to “Kitesurfing”