Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just got new gear! Is it good to use for a begginer?

Forum for kitesurfers
nickrzip
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Favorite Beaches: Cuba, next to a resort that I do not remember
Style: Begginer
Gear: http://imgur.com/a/kVSUT
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just got new gear! Is it good to use for a begginer?

Postby nickrzip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 am

Hey Kiteforums,

At a recent auction my mom bought a kite surfing package which was supposed to contain a kite, a board, lines and a harness. My mom ended up buying it for $650 which is awesome for the full package. So we open it up and theres not one, but three kites in it! Along with the harness, lines, bar and board. There was also a pair of kite surfing shoes and a patch kit. I had wanted to get into kite surfing for some time now so I was overjoyed with the deal. Then my dad searched up kite surfing and found on some random forum that kites made before 2003 aren't safe for beginners because they don't depower by letting go of the bar the same way that new kites do. I am attaching a gallery of all of the gear that came in the package, if someone could tell me whether of not the gear was safe for a beginner with around 5 days of experience (sorry about the faded writing I can barely read it, if necessary i'll post that as a text file). I am attempting this on Lake of the Woods Kenora, the winds generally are around 10-15 and do not get above 25 knots. Also a value estimate would be nice :3 Everything is in good enough condition no holes or tears or anything at all.

http://imgur.com/a/kVSUT

TLDR can someone please tell me if kite surfing gear is safe so I can learn to kitesurf!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Re: Just got new gear! Is it good to use for a begginer?

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 am

If your wind is only about 15 it probably won't matter toooooooooo much but it's definitely not going to be as easy to learn with. it's not just how safe they are but how well they behave in the air, modern kites are just so much easier to fly. and of course it is not as safe because it doesn't have 100% depower.

if it's possible i'd try to resell it and just buy one kite and one board, you could probably find a 2010 or even a 2011 kite for about that much new or used and you would be much better off

I dont see any pictures of the board out of the bag but it's probably fine to learn with, but board technology has come a long way as well so you will want to get a nice freestyle or freeride board eventually also

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force,
Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:13 am

Hey Nick,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your mom probably overpaid for all that gear. From looks of the pics, she bought you 2 outdated "C" kites that are way to big. You should try to see if u can get your money back. If not, it's gonna be really difficult to unload those. Those are probably the worst kites to learn on and could be very dangerous as well. Sorry man and good luck.

If u do get your money back, use it for some lessons. Much better investment if u are in it for the long haul.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1975
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis

Postby g-force junkie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 am

nickerzip,
that 17mtr Co2 makes huge power even in light winds,25mph could hurt you with that kite. I have a 5mtr Co2 that has given me a good spanking in 25 mph resulting in a dislocated shoulder. Be careful as you are starting with a high performance kite from the past.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 am

The gear you got is not suitable for a beginner.
Not really good for much in fact.
You need to take lessons first anyway.
Without lessons and appropriate gear, you will probably get frustrated and quit, or worse, hurt yourself.
My brother tried to learn with those kites, he quit after a few tries, and he is a good water athlete. Seriously, not good, very hard to relaunch and also not good for safety.
Sorry.
Harness and booties could be ok if they fit though.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 am

yes definitely take lessons no matter what you do, it is going to be frustrating even with brand new gear to learn on your own

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 am

I know how exciting it is to get new stuff
but
Next time : jump on the forum "FIRST" !!

There's Lots of Really Cool and knowledgeable people here ,
that can and will lead Ya to the equipment you Need to do this sport.

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 am

Those kites are worth about $50 each. The bar is worthless, because it does not flag out properly. You'll want a new bar. I have one of those kites so I know what I'm talking about, they are unsafe with the current bar, especially the recon system it can go into a death loop if the left rear side flags when you pull the release and the right rear doesn't. Even worse is using a recon bar on a Naish C kite, using that release on a non-cabrinha kite means it can immediately power death loop until it hits something. The bar might be worth $5, lines $25 (the reason the lines are not worth more is that they are not equal length lines so to use on them a real bar you have to cut them to requal lengths and splice or sleeve them which costs about $25 for someone to do it for you). The booties, $5, that dakine harness might be ok, I can't remember how that year is, might be worth $50, that's your best item. The cabrinha kite will not work properly on a standard bar so you have to make pigtails on them and retune the kite, back then they didn't have the current standard where front and back lines were equal so cabrinha just make all sorts of weird line lengths but I believe the Naish V4 uses the standard line lengths. If you want to use those kites get a new bar, which will cost about $300-$350 and you'll need to kite instructor to fly the kites with your bar so he can tension the lines properly by adding pigtails if necessary, you'll have to be able to feel the kite in the air to understand how to properly tune a kite that does not use standard length lines. It might be cheapest just to go back to the guy and say "I got ripped off I want my money back" and get something less than 5 years old. I didn't get a good look at the old kiteboard that might be worth $50 to $100 depending on the model.

What is sad is that they were state of the art at the time and probably cost around $3,000 new.

nickrzip
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Favorite Beaches: Cuba, next to a resort that I do not remember
Style: Begginer
Gear: http://imgur.com/a/kVSUT

Postby nickrzip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:01 am

Thanks so much for all the advice, I didn't expect this much awesome feedback as unfortunate as it may be :S either way i've had a few lessons so ill go out and give it a try with my smallest kite and in the mean time i'll put up all that stuff for sale and cut my losses. Again thank you so much this site is awesome, next time ill come here before I but

Sandbag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Everything around Sealand, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Denmark
Style: Freestyle, wave
Gear: Currently Naish Helix, Liquid Force DLX, F-One 6'2

Postby Sandbag » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:01 am

nickrzip wrote:Thanks so much for all the advice, I didn't expect this much awesome feedback as unfortunate as it may be :S either way i've had a few lessons so ill go out and give it a try with my smallest kite and in the mean time i'll put up all that stuff for sale and cut my losses. Again thank you so much this site is awesome, next time ill come here before I but
Why try and sell it?? I don't get that. I'm sorry some jerk cheated you and your mother. But why try to be that jerk yourself if some unfortunate newbie comes your way. Take that stuff out of cirkulation, bin it, sew some windbreaker out of it, put it on a wall and have an 'epic' story to tell when you have gained the experience to see for yourself that 10 years+ doesn't goes unnoticed in any sport ...

So cut your losses in terms of not hurting yourself ... Start saving the money to buy some nice starter pack and while you're doing that educate yourself online.

Best of luck and welcome to an awesome sport !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”