Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha IDS vs North 5th line: best safety system?

Forum for kitesurfers
mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr moon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 pm

What do you think is the safest kite of these and why? I'm looking to get a good safety system and stable kite to go back into kiting after a pretty scary accident (see post in safety session here: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2376771).
I like the Cabrinha IDS system as it doesn't need a leash (which is great after my experience), and I'll give North a go for their reputable 5th line safety. I've never been so keen on the 5th line system on waves though and I don't know what's the relaunch like in waves / gusts.
I need a kite with a good bar and chicken loop, but also stable in the air, good on waves and air float.. any advice is much appreciated! :thumb:
Last edited by mr moon on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha vs Bandit vs North

Postby JamesVegas » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am

There is no better safety system than North's 5th Element but whether you'd want it for wave riding I'm not sure, personally I'd look for a four line system.

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 am

That's why I've always stayed away from North... but people seem to enjoy the Rebels despite the 5 line system..

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cabrinha vs Bandit vs North, best safety system?

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:46 am

Here's another approach to look at.

Felix uses a 4 line kite with no pulleys. His is a C but I guess a bridled kite with no pulleys and a bridle so small its very unlikely to tangle around a wingtip would be close.

It would be best to have a releasable hook on the harness in case you needed to get free from the fixed harness line, but his setup has advantages. It does depend on how steady the wind is though.

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/kite- ... /75/3?dps=

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 pm

mr moon wrote:That's why I've always stayed away from North... but people seem to enjoy the Rebels despite the 5 line system..

The fifth line system is for mr moon. I don't see what the fuss is. It only becomes a fifth a fair way up the middle line. Don't even notice it, also it's under tension. I was worried at first but realized that fear has no basis whatsoever. The fifth line has saved my kite and ass quite few times.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:12 pm

There is no best safety system, more important than which is the best is which is checked often almost everytime you ride: make sure it is not stuck or dry like needing lube, or has wear meaning it will not deploy correctly. Most systems out there now are good some people prefer push away some like others many times it is not the fault of the mechanism but more human error because we only think about our QR in an emergency instead of every few days a little check on it. People need to understand there is no best qr, kite or board just what works best for you in your conditions. 25 to 30 knots here today in Brasil I will give a quick once over before I launch my kite today. :cool2:

huge
Medium Poster

Postby huge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Bandit safety system is dangerous, the velcro quick release releases on it's own and the leash does not depower, stay away

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 pm

yeah I'm not so keen on the Bandit.. It's going to be more like between Cabrinha IDS and North 5th line, in fact I'm going to change the post title :wink:

BB3
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fort Pierce, FL
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty In Fort Pierce and Matheson Hammock in Miami
Style: Freestyle and Straplesss
Gear: Cabrinha and Neil Pryde
Brand Affiliation: Work for Carbinha distribution

Re: Cabrinha IDS vs North 5th line: best safety system?

Postby BB3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey Mr Moon.

I would Take the Cabrinha IDS system over the north 5th line. There is no other brand that has spent more time or money on insuring there safety system works every time. Another thing It offers is a complete ditch if you are in trouble and you want detach completely you have that option .

Also you won't find a more stable kite then the Switchblade.

BB3

raueda1
Rare Poster

Re: Cabrinha IDS vs North 5th line: best safety system?

Postby raueda1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 pm

I fly both. Just 2 different ways to do the same thing. That said, nothing beats the 5th line ditch. Kite comes down like a feather.
BB3 wrote:I would Take the Cabrinha IDS system over the north 5th line. There is no other brand that has spent more time or money on insuring there safety system works every time.
?? What's the basis for this statement? Highly debatable IMO.
BB3 wrote:Another thing It offers is a complete ditch if you are in trouble and you want detach completely you have that option.
So does the North.

Return to “Kitesurfing”