Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strapless, what's the fuzz all about??

Postby BBQFish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I have tried to go strapless for the last 5 sessions now.
What i find is that i'm more busy trying to keep in contact with my board, then trying to get waves!
Getting over the chop is seriously wearing my legs out in no time at all, if i'm able to stay on the board that is.
Feels like my skill level has been taken back 3 years!

Can somebody explain to me what i should be looking for in this strapless style surfing?

darippah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Nj
Style: Freestyle, Strapless waves

Re: Strapless, what's the fuzz all about??

Postby darippah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm

BBQFish wrote:I have tried to go strapless for the last 5 sessions now.
What i find is that i'm more busy trying to keep in contact with my board, then trying to get waves!
Getting over the chop is seriously wearing my legs out in no time at all, if i'm able to stay on the board that is.
Feels like my skill level has been taken back 3 years!

Can somebody explain to me what i should be looking for in this strapless style surfing?
thats because you suck at it :lol:

(dw i suck at strapless too, still learning)

I can see it being really fun because of the amount of freedom you have to move around the board. I've been surfing way before kiting - 6yrs vs 2- and riding strapped on a surfboard just isnt surfing. way too restrictive

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:40 pm

When I first started, I went through the same problem, it is challenging, just keep at it. I think it so much more fun and versatile. Check out video tutorials on how to deal with the white water, jibing, etc.. Here is a couple of good sites for those type of videos:
http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/ also http://www.iksurfmag.com/

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Ride however you like, but for many the freedom of movement on the board is a much closer experience to surfing. As you improve, you will find it easier to ollie up over white wash as well as learn to feel the board a little more and not have to dedicate much of your concentration to it. At first it is pretty normal to exaggerate all your movements a bit too much and hence it seems like work. Once you get comfy you can calm it all down to the minimal required effort and it feels and looks a lot less demanding. Ideally you don't have to put much concentration toward you kite either and can focus on the terrain in front of you.

When you start getting air strapless its becomes pretty gratifying. It's also much easier on the legs, knees and ankles and back as you can shift position to keep it all ergonomic instead of stressing everything to keep your feet in the straps.

Stick with it and you will improve. 5 sessions aint much, and yeah, its a reality check on your skill level. Give it up if you don't like it.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

BBQ,

Your legs will ache more as you use them more to soak up shock. It's a subtle challenge, you need to fly the kite so it takes more of your weight, you need to ride with your whole foot not just your heels as with a twin tip. Be light on your feet, you also need to commit to it and ride no other board for quite a few sessions, if you can find some flat water and minimal chop to start with it will help you get started.

Once you can stay on, water start and start to gybe you'll be hooked but you will feel like a beginner for a while. I'm now 3.5 yrs in, ride nothing but strapless in any conditions and all winds and I still get the same fuzz. When you start really riding waves, tacking, getting strapless airs it becomes amazing.

Stick with it, try and get a few days back to back on flat water.

Mike

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

I tried it as well and felt like at the beginning! Too much hassle for me...maybe one day when I get older and cannot do my stuff anymore. But all I want to do is flying...hassle without straps!

So, it might not be yours, but keep practicing if you really like that style and want to get into it. Don't do it because you "have" to and you want to be cool. It is a passion or not.
For sure surfers have a blast on it and feel like home...great that they have their style too.

Amazing sport...so, do what you like! :thumb:

Drew22
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Tpa

Postby Drew22 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:58 pm

This is pretty funny. You try strapless and cant do it so instantly knock it. When you learned to kite were you throwing giant boosts by your 5th session? Kinda same thing your learning a new discipline in kiting and it takes practice specially now that your not connected. Are you having trouble getting over waves as in you fly out the back?

It helps me if I go over breaking waves at an angle, not white water yet just a steep wave that is breaking so I don't get thrown in the air out the back.

White wash you can kinda Ollie or do a good pump once you hit it. I also throw my kite up if its big white wash so as soon as I start getting over it, I can dive the kite and regain my moment so I can get out past the next wave. Also with white water it helps if you get a little bit lighter on the board to kinda hop/momentum over it. Throwing the kite high can also help with this.

It does take some times and lumps but if you wanna do it its all part of the learning process.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Keep your front foot planted as best you can and shift your weight forward. It also helps to slide your back foot a few inches forward just in front of the fins. This puts more weight on the front of the board and will smooth the ride out a lot. You only put your back foot on the tail when riding waves.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
R1V2 11m,15m, 18m
Sonic Race VMG 15m, Sonic2 9m
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm still a complete strapless novice since I haven't put the time in to learn, but I think it's really funny how good you seem after returning to a strapped board after riding strapless for an hour or two. Everything feels so easy! :lol:

I get why people love riding strapless, I just haven't put the effort in yet.

morfini
Rare Poster

Postby morfini » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Guy´s, I need some advice to help me choose my first kite/surfboard. I havent decide between 2013 Slingshot Tyrant 5'11" and 2013 Celeritas 5'11". I usually ride in small mushy waves and every once in a while good head high surf in Baja. Wich board would you recommend? I would try strapless riding most of the time.

Celertias 5’11” x 20 1/2” x 2 1/2”
Tyrant 5’11” x 19” x 2 1/2”

Thanks a lot for any help or piece of advice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”