Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Directional Straps position

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:04 am

Hey, y'all, I was wondering if theres a way or product out there, that will let me angle the front strap on my Wam to be more comfortable?

I'm a goofy footer, and although I've recently tried using my board without straps, I'm not quite digging it, granted it's only been a few seshs and in shitty wind conditions, but never the less, I'm not sure I feel comfortable out of the straps. I just feel better connected with the board in them. for now anyways.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way I could angle my front strap a bit to be more comfortable when coming back toeside, right now isn't too bad, but sometimes my little toe hits something on the strap that kills me, feel like a screw or something.

The wam has 2 sets of screws, per side on the strap, I tried to just using one screw hole from one side, and the other below on the other side, but the distance is bigger than the distance between the screws on the strap.

Any ideas besides that rotating strap that won't fit my board anyways?

Tnx in advance

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Directional Straps position

Postby reinis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm

just stretch the strap over an additional pair of inserts. wider strap over a narrow arch should solve the problem

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 pm

reinis wrote:just stretch the strap over an additional pair of inserts. wider strap over a narrow arch should solve the problem
Cool, Tnx I'll give it a try, but I think I already tried this, and didn't work

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm

pixelpedro wrote:
reinis wrote:just stretch the strap over an additional pair of inserts. wider strap over a narrow arch should solve the problem
Cool, Tnx I'll give it a try, but I think I already tried this, and didn't work
I would say exactly the same.

On my boards, I always use an inch wider (or half an inch on my customs) distance for my front foot - and works like a charm, so you get a REALLY soft and perfect feel with the front foot angled.

Also - I think I can read between the lines that you ride at the "wrong" side ? (toeside)

Do yourself a favour - and learn to jibe and ride both ways.

Then you will never get this problem again, no matter whether you ride toeside waves occasionally or not at all - as long as you ride "normal" most of the time :thumb:

And a step wider between the screws on the front foot.

Riding toeside is IMO the wrong way - and yes, it WILL very often lead to strap discomfort if done for a long time.

But you should only do this very rare, or not at all IMO - if you ride waves frontside like almost everybody does.

Learn to ride both ways, and you will experience so much more pleasure out in the waves :rollgrin:

:D Peter

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 pm

@ Reinis: sorry dude, I though you were talking about twisting the strap from one hole to the other, that didn't work, but obviously stretching the strap to the next hole over is obvious, but I never though of it, so thanks for that tip.

@Peter: Yeah I just started working on my directional skills, I know I need to learn to jibe, is just I feel much, much more comfortable ridding back toeside (right foot fwd).

Tnx for the tips guy.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Don Lester » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 am

Here's another tip......... cut a square hole in the factory deck pad,( about 1-1/2" square) where the foot strap screws to the board, so now you can mount the foot strap directly on the board's hard surface......Why ?

You'll be raising where your foot contacks the inside of the foot strap, where there's more padding and your further away from the hard mounting screw plates.......... or

You could also glue on another layer of padding on the factory deck pad just inside and around the strap area to accomplish the same thing............

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:49 am

This will do exactly what you want:

http://sportsgear-solutions.com/

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... roduct=281

I tried it and it worked ok. I decided I preferred just using the normal strap. Much simpler and more robust.

You can also try mounting your straps the other way. Cabrinha and F-One both specify that you mount the surf straps with the wide end to the middle. I mount mine with the wide end to the outside and that is much much more comfortable.

The other, and far more important thing, is to get really, really good at toeside. When you're a beginner it's all difficult. When you're experienced you can do it in your sleep. You should be able to ride toeside comfortably and relaxed on a raceboard wearing hiking boots.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Tnx OzB, I don't want to deal with the strap rotating thing, I've loosen it up a bit, as other prior have suggested. Tnx though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”