Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New to kite surfing

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm

normally these velcro seals can be removed, if it is too warm. On cold days you just add them.

There is lots of stuff. Get a really stretchable suit...soo much nicer to move around.

ripper123
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ripper123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Toby wrote:normally these velcro seals can be removed, if it is too warm. On cold days you just add them.

There is lots of stuff. Get a really stretchable suit...soo much nicer to move around.
Cheers dude. I will get looking online for a new wetsuit. You have any recommendations?

Schmidy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Schmidy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 pm

ripper123 wrote:
Toby wrote:normally these velcro seals can be removed, if it is too warm. On cold days you just add them.

Cheers dude. I will get looking online for a new wetsuit. You have any recommendations?
If I were you, I would definitely go into a surf/kite shop to buy a wetsuit. Just going by the online sizing charts is a rule of thumb. I never trust it 100%.

The best wetsuit is the one that fits! :D

Cheers
Schmidy :thumb:

ripper123
Rare Poster

Postby ripper123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I bought my last wetsuit online, it was way cheaper than the shops here. However, it didnt last long, about 2 seasons. It was a Rip Curl E Bomb. I really liked it, it was super flexible and warm. Not too sure if i should buy another. It fit like a glove.

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 am

Mystics make good kitesurf specific suits, (I dont have one but friends love them) but any surfbrand will do. Next question will be which harness? So much lovely gear to buy......

ripper123
Rare Poster

Postby ripper123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 am

Got my first lesson booked in two weeks time. wooot!

Just need to buy a wetsuit now. Havent been surfing that much because of work, lack of waves and holes in wetsuit!

Be back to let you know if i take off and land through somebody's house roof. lol

JohnnyCakeXM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Travis / Lake Pflugerville ( ='[ )
Favorite Beaches: Albatros Chalupy 5 1/2 (Hel, Poland)

Postby JohnnyCakeXM » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 pm

ripper123 wrote:Got my first lesson booked in two weeks time. wooot!

Just need to buy a wetsuit now. Havent been surfing that much because of work, lack of waves and holes in wetsuit!

Be back to let you know if i take off and land through somebody's house roof. lol
Have fun, i learned this season and i love the sport. I got to learn in Poland on Hel, around a meter hundreds of meters away from shore. :) really love the sport and hope u have a good experience too

ripper123
Rare Poster

Postby ripper123 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Thinking about buying this wetsuit. http://www.freakfish.co.uk/rip_curl_e_b ... silverblue

The only thing is I'm not too sure if a 3/2mm will be ok for kite surfing? Its a nightmare because winter is only 3 months away, so i will have to buy another wetsuit for the winter. What i need to know is, will wind chill be a cause for concern even in the summer months here in the UK? Not too sure if i should just buy a 4/3mm and a thermal rashie for all year round?

A 3/2mm is fine for surfing here,just not sure about Kite surfing. Would like some feed back before i part with my cash.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I feel sorry for you guys that a 3/2 is your "summer" suit :( At least you have wind in the summer though...

wind chill definitely factors in, never been to europe so i have no idea what the conditions are like in the uk, but if a 3/2 is fine for surfing I don't think it would be too much worse for kiting

TracyS
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Cabarete!
Style: freestyle, directional, foil
Gear: 2018 Cabrinha FX 8 and 10 m
Brand Affiliation: Dare2fly Kiteboarding School

Postby TracyS » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:39 am

Everyone gave excellent advice. I just learned myself this past Feb. and am having the time of my life! Here is my additional input:

You def need lessons. I did everything you mentioned before kiting, but once I put that kite in my hand, it was a whole 'nother other!

Check out some videos before you go out. The Progression video series rocks. It helps a lot with basic info about kite set up and wind window stuff. This is good information to get you a bit ahead of the game in preparation for your lesson. Like others mentioned, the safety for each kite is different, so you will learn that on the job.

I negotiated a used kite, harness, and board with my lessons so I didn't have to rent one after I was standing up by myself. You won't know exactly what you want in a kite until you have some time standing up and talking to other kiters, IMO.

Once you are standing up and going upwind, it is pretty easy to borrow kites from friends and shops to see how you like a kite before you buy. Same for a board. I bought and sold 3 different kites before I found one that I like.

Hope this helps and have a blast out there!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”