ripper123
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to kite surfing

Postby ripper123 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi There,

I have always surfed and i have done some wakeboarding on a tow cable. I was pretty good at wakeboarding and i guess kite surfing is similar to wakeboarding apart from the kite bit?

I'm looking to start kite surfing, but i need some info first.

1. Shall i get lessons first?
2. Shall i buy the equipment, or hire?
3. Do you need different kites for different conditions
4. Is there a special kite wetsuit, or shall i just buy a surf wetsuit?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New to kite surfing

Postby Toby » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm

1. Yes, the kite is powerful, you need advice how to handle it and its safety systems

2. Better to buy, so you become a unity with your kite

3. If you ride in the same conditions all the time, you only need one kite. If winds habe a bigger range and you want to travel, 1-3 kites are needed.

4. Same wetsuit will be fine

Enjoy!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 pm

See if you can fly a trainer kite for a bit to understand how the kite works, then take a lesson. You'll probably be fine once you learn the kite control, you can take another lesson for the basics of water starts and riding but if you wakeboard you can probably learn all you need to know from a video. It's mostly just coordination.

Buy gear after you take a lesson or two. Then you'll understand what the characteristics of a kite are so you can understand what people are talking about when discussing their good and bad. Unfortunately if you want to do wakeboarding tricks with bindings and unhooked from the kite, you'll probably want a C-kite, but these are the hardest to learn on because they are very sensitive and powerful. There are compromises you can get with other gear, though, so once you learn a bit you'll have to make a decision.

Any wetsuit is probably fine, kite wetsuits typically have straps on the legs or arms so water doesn't shoot up your legs, but it's not a big deal and you can just poke holes.

General note: you should have a pretty easy time learning kiteboarding, all you really need to learn is the kite control. Load + pop is the same as on a cable. If you can land tricks on a cable you'll be able to translate them very well behind a kite. The main thing you'll have to get used to (from experience of helping 2 other wakeboarders learn) is that you're never riding in neutral behind a kite except for 1 second after you land a trick. You are always edging in a specific way to maintain power and go upwind.

Have fun!

azabot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Le Morne, Mauritius
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Florianopolis, Brazil
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby azabot » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 pm

dyyylan has put some great points!!

I will just add from my own experience, migrating from surf/wakeboard to kiting...

A great way to go is reading a lot online, get the theory under your belt and maybe watch some videos as well.. Then have someone teach you the basics on the water with the kite. One or two hours with a good instructor will be enough to get you going with some idea of what to do and most likely up and riding already!!

After that I suggest you buy a second hand gear, search a bit what you think it may suit you and go for it.. I say that because you will eventually crash and punish your kite, so you don't really want to do that to a brand new kite. It's best to get something already used (not too old and still in good/safe conditions) and after few months you will be riding pretty good and be able to test ride other stuff so you can figure out what is best for you while you still have your "starting kit".. then once you made your mind just sell your used kite and go for a brand new one, the feeling of getting a brand new kite can't be easily described....

This plan worked out perfect for me, hope you find your path and enjoy this transition that surely will bring you great joy!!!

All the best!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:48 pm

If buying online make sure to test the bar and its safatey tools if all works...BEFORE you put it on the kite!

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Toby wrote:If buying online make sure to test the bar and its safatey tools if all works...BEFORE you put it on the kite!
And the reality is if you don't buy that kite from your instructor or a knowledgeable local kiter who will show you how to use the gear you won't understand how the safeties work, how to rig the kite, etc..You can only learn so much from videos.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:06 pm

The replies so far are right - practice with a trainer kite, take a lesson, buy used gear. I would also add a few more tips - buy 2008 or newer kite (much better safety features and wind range), a seat harness makes learning a lot more comfortable, and a Go Joe (see Ocean Rodeo website or kite websites for details) makes retrieving your board a lot easier when you crash. Kiteboard leashes are controversial because the board can recoil and whack you in the head. Kite size will depend on your weight and local conditions. Probably best to talk to your instructor or go talk to people at your local kiting area to figure out what size to get. Beginners usually start with a longer kiteboard (138cm +) because it planes quicker.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:49 am

ripper --- Your probably gonna Really "Like" this sport ;
& the people who do it !!!!! :D

Bille

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:03 am

Hello ripper123,
All the advices you got from all these previous post are extremely important. But again make sure you get some kiteboarding lessons before you get into this sport. It's like flying a plane, you need lessons or else you can get hurt or hurt some one else.
Concerning the equipment, the school where you got your lessons from will help you get advice on what is best for you. Even if you don't buy it from the schools you will have a basic idea on what to look for. You can find some great deals on line but the best thing will be to demo them and see which kite, board or harness you like the best. And then you will be hooked.

ripper123
Rare Poster

Postby ripper123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Sweet as a nut guys, really friendly bunch! I will get some lessons, i'm here in Cornwall in the UK so will need to have a look for a good instructor. I cant wait to take this sport up, it looks so much fun, ideal for those flat days when I'm not surfing and there's some on shore wind!

Just need to buy a wetsuit because mines on its last legs! With the wetsuit is it best to put some kind of seals on the legs to stop water riding up? Thanks for all your support, i will let you kinow how i get on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”