Quick release harness it time

Forum for kitesurfers
tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quick release harness it time

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:28 am

We all want to make kitesurfing safer,so it time for a quick release harness, front leash connection on harness and somthing similar to car seatbelt release, release pressure mabey 5 kg max 10 so no accidental releases,were in the olympics now, so it time for every one sake, its the safest option,many lives could have been saved,so come on kite companies get cracking and develop these,cant understand why there not freely available,also kite depowers completely when no pressure on lines so less chance of kite looping and hurting third party,Tony

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Quick release harness it time

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:49 am

A seat-belt type Q/R for a harness has been available for about 20 years or more. I've been using it on my windsurf harness and it works with a flick of one finger. It could be activated if a kite line got hooked around it though so accidental release is possible. You would need one on each end of the spreader bar.

Flagging to a 5th line (or similar) is about as depowered and non-spinny as you are going to get.
Attachments
MauiMagicCrossfire.JPG

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 am

ronnie wrote:A seat-belt type Q/R for a harness has been available for about 20 years or more. I've been using it on my windsurf harness and it works with a flick of one finger. It could be activated if a kite line got hooked around it though so accidental release is possible. You would need one on each end of the spreader bar.

Flagging to a 5th line (or similar) is about as depowered and non-spinny as you are going to get.
Great but will it release under massive load and it great to see a windsurfer help out thanks, mabey you could get a picture of qr thanks,if its available that long it should be compulsery on every harness,Tony

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 am

I am in for this as well !

Would love to have that!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 am

BTW: no engineer around who can develop it, so we can add it to any harness?
That would be the best to have!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:33 am

tony montana wrote:
ronnie wrote:A seat-belt type Q/R for a harness has been available for about 20 years or more. I've been using it on my windsurf harness and it works with a flick of one finger. It could be activated if a kite line got hooked around it though so accidental release is possible. You would need one on each end of the spreader bar.

Great but will it release under massive load and it great to see a windsurfer help out thanks, mabey you could get a picture of qr thanks,if its available that long it should be compulsery on every harness,Tony
Its been around a long time but its difficult to find now because no-one thinks they need it. It works by leverage and needs the end of the spreader bar to be shaped properly to make it work. I've only used that harness for kiting once on holiday and didn't need to release it. It would be cheap enough for you to buy and test if you want to.
I rely on the 2 releases working on my harness, so I dont think I need a Q/R harness for kiting.

I use that for windsurfing in case the harness line gets twisted around the hook and I'm pinned under the sail. It would allow me to get the hook free.

The bar end illustrated in the website I am linking to is not the correct shape for the plastic clip. I have added a photo of what the bar end has to be for this Q/R .

http://www.zerogravitydistribution.co.u ... eader.html
Attachments
qrbarend.jpg

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Here's an Idea Ive had for a while.
The green part is a push away ring which is connected by the blue pin to a green shaft down the center of the hook shaft.
when the green is pushed away the magenta shaft is able to collapse and slip out of the red bushing which is part of the actual spreader. and spreader bar hook and kite fly away with ease.
Up to you where you connect the kite leash, to the harness or to the hook.
All parts are made out of Stainless steel except the green parts which should be plastic.
.. red piece could also be plastic. but needs to be connected to spreader bar from the inside so it dosent pull out.

I didn't draw the actual hook as this is a 3D model and the hook would have taken a while to get right.

I'm waiting for a 3D printer to arrive then I will produce a working model.
Attachments
Hook1.jpg
Hook1.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, pls make an illustration with the spreader bar, I don't get it ;-)

How about sand? Will it work?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:04 pm

No thanks

I wish companies would actually stop putting so much crap on their harnesses

tony montana
Frequent Poster

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Its the ultimate safety system,i had a really bad kitesurf accident,and a friend of mine said somthing good will come of this well this is it,Toby please continue to push this topic it will take kitesurfing safety equal to any watersport if not better,IKO BKSA ALL KITE COMPANIES SHOULD GET INVOLVED SELL MORE KITES MAKE A VERY SAFE SPORT,north already have 2008 iron hearth which is flat like seat belt release will not accidently release,release 200 kg load less than 10 kg,will not jam with sand or grit,surley north can attach this to harness,come on dan at north get on to them,robby naish,mystic etc get on this now,please send this idea to all kite and harness companies,this can be done, thanks Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”