Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Say NO to Olympics without windsurfing...

forum for kitesurfers
kitewindunite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Say NO to Olympics without windsurfing...

Postby kitewindunite » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 am

McAbe wrote:Its the windsurfers that don't like us, don't think kite surfers in general has anything against windsurfers, besides the fact that some of them are whining bitches.
They don't like to share spaces that have been exclusively used by them in the past, they don't like to see that we have more fun than them, but are to old/conservative to admit that, they rather cry than to start kite surfing instead.
I don't know, man, you're saying that kitersurfers IN GENERAL have nothing against windsurfers, but implying that windsurfers IN GENERAL have a beef against kite surfers... in the same sentence! That's a pretty strong one-way generalization statement ;-) lol

I'm sorry if that's the experience on your beach, but there are many more spots where we all get along just fine with the windsurfers, and my experience is that we're all in this together. Anyway, that's what motivated me to write that petition...

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:21 am

One of the main reasons freestyle wasn't pitched to the Olympic committee is because you need minimum 15 knots of wind to run a decent freestyle competition. With Course Racing, they have very good chance of running something if there is more than 4 knots of wind.

What I don't understand is why the windsurfers don't suggest another sailing class be deleted. I forgot which class but it is the dinghy one with only one class left that has been around for 30 or so years....

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:49 am

I didn't see any windsurfing on TV in this Olympics.

Did they jump the gun and take it out early?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Toilet Stance
Gear: Flexifoil Blade 4.9 / Brunotti 2face

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:19 am

Removing windsurfing is crazy considering it is more accessible to more people, it will be very interesting to see if due diligence did in fact take place prior to the votes, and why no one was told it was windsurfing vs kiting.

Anyway I finally got a spin on a flysurfer, interesting stuff - it has this kind of sweet spot/zone when it starts to buzz, but talk of 4-5 knots racing still remains an unknown concept to myself, a lot to do with wind variance.

kitewindunite
Medium Poster

Postby kitewindunite » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 am

marina wrote:What I don't understand is why the windsurfers don't suggest another sailing class be deleted. I forgot which class but it is the dinghy one with only one class left that has been around for 30 or so years....
There are quite a few other classes that could be deleted. But for the windsurfers to say to one of those classes 'move over, we want your spot' is just as bad as it was for us to say to the windsurfers 'move over, we want your spot.'

ISAF can get more sailing medals from the IOC, but for one reason or another, they didn't do it. The bottom line is that ISAF got us into this mess, and they can find a number of ways to fix it if they want to.

kitewindunite
Medium Poster

Postby kitewindunite » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 am

Dave_5280 wrote:I didn't see any windsurfing on TV in this Olympics. Did they jump the gun and take it out early?
It depends on where you live. Some countries showed the sailing events on TV, others as live streams online, etc. But yeah, windsurfing was there, and probably was the most exciting of all of the sailing events, so they didn't take it out early :) On the other hand, I've seen quite a few kiters in the background of pictures of the events in Weymouth!Stoked about that, although that doesn't mean that they brought kites in early either ;-)

WjM
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Castelldefelds Barcelona, Spain.
Malgrat de Mar, Barcelona, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Delta del Ebro, Trabucador, Spain.
Leucate, La Franqui, France.
Dumps, Brandon Bay, Kerry, Ireland.
Style: Race board / Wave board
Gear: 2013,17,13,11,9,7m edge
2011 8m & 5m C4
Mikes lab race board, hydrofoil & 2010 kipuna
10´6 SUP (loving it on no wind days)

Postby WjM » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 am

You are trying to hold back the tide..... I totally agree regarding the "why" windsurfers have been pitched against kiters this is an error. I also have experienced the windsurfers bully boy tactics in traditional wind surfing spots. I think it is jealousy, I am a race board enthuiast and when its blowing 8 knots the guys are gagging to get out but cant. I am really looking forward to the 2016 Rio olimpics and kite racing would probably be the only event I would go and see. Here around the Barcelona area we have a lot of thermal winds and 6-20 knot winds are the predominant conditions so racing is the best option for maximising water time. With the high volume race boards even when there are lulls you can sit on the board and nurse it back to the beach. I believe kite boarding is in the olimpics through progression. Some sailing dicipline had to go and unfortunately the powers that be have decided on wind surfing. Asking kiters to not support that decision is a little far fetched and unsupportive of all the hard work that has gone into getting us in the position to show case kite power. In a couple more years when the kids get into racing I am sure the circuits will develop and thursday night race meetings will become a regular thing.

As the man said, build a bridge and get over it!

Good winds....

WjM............

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:16 pm

JGTR wrote:
TimS wrote:Wrong forum dude :bye: :rollgrin:

Yep, you want the whingey whiner forum :rollgrin:

Considering kitesurfing is THE fastest emerging/growing sport of the 21st century why shouldn't it be included? No other sport has ever become so popular so quickly and its popularity is still growing. Windsurfing must surely be on the decline and in 4 years there will be even fewer windsurfers - there must be more kiters than windsurfers, not bad considering kiting has only been going 1/4 time windsurfing has.

Rather than direct your anger at kiters why not try to get another sport shelved, maybe something less boring........no hang on windsurfing is the most boring!

Even the most die hard windsurfers must admit that Olympic windsurfing is boring and bears little resemblance to the windsurfing that 99.9% of the rest of the world do!
According to your premise SUP should be in the Olympics :lol:

capitan nemo
Medium Poster

Postby capitan nemo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 pm

ben newman - :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Luckily SUP will be in the rowing class...but I think they should be Olympic one day as well.

The more sports the better!

I saw some windsurfing on German TV, but maybe because Germany had riders in it.

I think the windsurfers did a mistake by attacking kitesurfing. They should have said in the beginning, pls, kiters, help us, so we both can participate. We would have helped for sure.

Now, after their dirty campaigns against us, I don't think we want to help anymore.

Sorry, it has to do with respect. I hope they will learn that lesson sooner than later!

Return to “Kitesurfing”