Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to kiteboarding, need a school!

Postby Chickenwing504 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Hello, I've been doing my research and obviously if I was to ask for any pointers, y'all would suggest taking lessons. I'm all for that, but kiteboarding isn't too big in my region and I can't seem to find any places locally to teach me.
I live in new Orleans and Pensacola, Fl is a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. Any tips or websites to find a shop any closer?

Thanks in advance

USAKiter
Medium Poster

Re: New to kiteboarding, need a school!

Postby USAKiter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 am

I'd suggest getting a lesson, not only for your safety, but you'll be up and riding with confidence more quickly.

There's a small, but great community of kiters in Gulfport/Biloxi and the learning conditions are pretty tough to beat - almost empty beaches, and shallow water out for hundreds of yards.

I'm not sure who's giving lessons there these days, but Tommy or Scott at Gulfport Board Sports should be able to put you in touch with an instructor.

Pensacola is a bit more of a drive from the Big Easy, but the emerald green waters and sugar white sand are hard to top.

Once again not certain who's instructing there now, but Travis and Megan Glover, who run Kiteboard Cafe (you can find them on Google/Facebook) know pretty much everyone in that area and can probably connect you with your new sensei.

BTW, there are some kite boarding demo days going on in FWB, FL and Gulfport Aug 25 and 26.
If you're interested, those I've mentioned above should be able to help with when and where exactly.

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Great thank you. That is exactly the information I needed. I've contacted tommy from the Gulfport board shop, but when I went there it was an older man running the shop. I'll have to set up a lesson with him. Thanks again

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Hey Chickenwing..welcome to the sport. Thank you for taking advice, and thank you for taking a lesson.
:thumb: :thumb:

chilidip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach & Pier 1
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach, Texas
Style: One handed Bucking Bronco
Gear: Slingshot REV 11m
Eclipse NaNo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None :-(

Postby chilidip » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm

www.spikite.com

South Padre Island, TX is a 12 hour drive from NOLA, but a quick flight on SW Air to HRL. Oct-Dec

Come see us and we will stoke you out on kiteboarding!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”