Forum for kitesurfers
apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Re: waxing kite lines

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 am

There’s clearly a market opportunity for some kind of product to lengthen the life of trim/centre lines. Like Duotone now make board pad protectors maybe this is the next accessory.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:24 pm

One problem with wax is that sand gets stuck in it making an abrasive.. I have waxed my depower before though.. seemed to help in the short term.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:45 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:35 pm
Wax doubles the life of my leaders and chicken lines. I'm in Michigan so it's good to know I'll have to give up wax if I move to Mexico. I do love Mexico but it would be so hard to give up winter. I really do love kiting on the ice and snow
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alright. Now you're going to need to teach me what there is to like about ice, snow... and actually mostly rain. We're skipping Mexico for the first time in 30 years (covid). It's usually around Sept 20 and I start getting horny for a taco. :lol:
In dark, gloomy, rainy Western Washington state.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:07 pm

I'm thinking about waxing but not for the reason that's been in all these threads. They're always talking about friction on the bar, for me, I'm flying Souls and I find as my bridals are getting older they tangle easier and I'm wondering if waxing the bridle wouldn't help the tangles fall out with a few simple shakes. Like when they were new. :bye:

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm

apollo4000 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 am
There’s clearly a market opportunity for some kind of product to lengthen the life of trim/centre lines. Like Duotone now make board pad protectors maybe this is the next accessory.
It is not an issue to get the same or similar coating to what kite line manufacturers use. The issue is curing it at temperatures close to UHMWPE melting point.
There is another thread here on canopy coating - some of the suggested and tried coatings may actually work on kite lines.

You really think there is a market opportunity in this? How much are you ready to pay for a package sufficient for recoating one set of lines?

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:51 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm
apollo4000 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 am
It is not an issue to get the same or similar coating to what kite line manufacturers use. The issue is curing it at temperatures close to UHMWPE melting point.
There is another thread here on canopy coating - some of the suggested and tried coatings may actually work on kite lines.

You really think there is a market opportunity in this? How much are you ready to pay for a package sufficient for recoating one set of lines?
No really but who knows they way things go in industry given the way harnesses and spreader bars have gone.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri May 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Hell, that's and old thread...

I've actually hot-waxed lines on one of my bars this winter (literally had nothing better to do given the circumstances).

Main reason: we have a few spots where you have to drift launch and lines do tend to become prone to knotting and tangling as they age and soften.

Used a fairly complicated hot pot setup to control the temperature, and - I have to admit - the whole thing ended up being rather messy. But - to me - the end result was worth it. Lines have re-gained their brand new, solid feel. Can't report on the durability yet as I've only had a chance to use this bar a couple of times, though I don't expect it to last particularly long, especially when it gets warm.

Return to “Kitesurfing”