Forum for kitesurfers
flyyboyy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

waxing kite lines

Postby flyyboyy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 am

Someone suggested putting melted paraffin wax on the lines that go through the control bar to reduce friction and wear on the lines.

Would this idea be a good one to reduce wear on all the kite lines?

What are the pros and cons?

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Re: waxing kite lines

Postby fourperf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:00 am

flyyboyy wrote:Someone suggested putting melted paraffin wax on the lines that go through the control bar to reduce friction and wear on the lines.

No, just center lines although certainly not really necessary. Few people do it, most don't.

Pro probably will make your center line last a bit longer
Con pain in the arse
These users thanked the author fourperf for the post:
apollo4000 (Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:21 am

fourperf wrote:
flyyboyy wrote:Someone suggested putting melted paraffin wax on the lines that go through the control bar to reduce friction and wear on the lines.

No, just center lines although certainly not really necessary. Few people do it, most don't.

Pro probably will make your center line last a bit longer
Con pain in the arse
Some knuckle heads suggest taking the line off and soaking the whole thing in a pot full of melted paraffin, WASTE OF TIME You're from Canada you snowboard,
Use your snowboard iron and wax and drip it on. while installed. Don't snowboard hold lighter to the wax and drip it on...
PRO so far my waxed line has lasted 4 x longer than an unwaxed one. CON basic parafin can heat up and melt in the sun then pick up dirt.....You're from Canada, use your -30C snowboard wax......won't melt in the sun.

Some bars this isn't a problem but on stuff like north and switch (metal hole, multiple line through the bar) they have been developing sharp little edges due to wear of the hole from dirt that's sawing the lines alot faster. So waxing will save you at least 4-5 depower ropes the changing of which is a REAL pain in the arse.

CON I haven't found one yet but COULD give you some grief with you're depower cleat, (If you're bar uses a clam cleat type mechanism. I left this section unwaxed so don't know if it's a real issue or not.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Also while you are at it you can wax your balls as well. Get that nice smooth feel on your lines and on your balls. :D sand might still be an issue though. :lol:

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 pm

I soaked one in melted paraffin once, as it was an easy bar to remove the line on. Really, after about ten session, I couldn't tell the difference anymore. Seeded like it was before. Didn't have any melting or picking up sand problems. So, it didn't last, but it didn't hurt anything.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:....You're from Canada, use your -30C snowboard wax......won't melt in the sun.
I don't think that's correct. My cold water surf board wax melts in the summer and stays tacky in the winter. I believe wax designed for cold weather will melt and run in warmer weather.

That's besides the point... don't wax your lines. The lines are sensitive to heat so don't mess with them. The best thing you can do is get a bar with a nice "wide" stainless steel insert and hang on to it like gold.... keep a spare depower rope in your kit.

seking
Rare Poster

Postby seking » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:06 pm

I have found that Bow Wax works well. Its made for hunting bows and you get it at sporting goods stores. Work it in with a leather glove, takes 5 minutes and lasts about 5-6 sessions. I got mine at Big 5 for like 5 bucks.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

If you really fill like dipping your lines in something - go for the marine grade dry lubricant (SailKote for example). That stuff works great on the flying lines, depower rope and parts of the bridle that work with pulleys. Though it doesn't last that long.

On bars with the old-style strap-n-buckle trimmer it's worth giving these straps a nice wax-rub-job every so often, especially in salty water as these tend to stiffen up and jam.

dorothyinstead
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caloundra, Happy Valley.
Favorite Beaches: Bulcock Beach @ Happy Valley in Caloundra
Style: Freestyle

Postby dorothyinstead » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Read the same thread last week. Got my new depower line of the bar and soaked in melted candle wax. Works a treat. One of the reasons why it lasts longer is the wax fills the middle of the Dyneema, so there is no space for single granules of sand to lodge.
One grain of sand imbedded in the fibres of the Dyneema will abrade the fine fibres of Dyneema under load over time. For this reason you should also not walk on your lines at the beach.
( We learnt this in rock climbing, never stand on your ropes, same reason).
After half a dozen sessions the outside fibres begin to show wear but it is the inside where it is being protected.

lbatbeach
Medium Poster

Postby lbatbeach » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:56 pm

To wax your depower in melted parafin, you dont have to remove it. Takes about 5 minutes and it works. Just make sure you melt the wax in a tin, then remove the tin from the heat source before dipping. I would not do the other lines as they really dont rub on anything.

Return to “Kitesurfing”