FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m
Brand Affiliation: None

safe setup for Ozone light II 5m

Postby merl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Just picked up a 5m ozone light II for my son. He's doing well on a 7m in winds where adults are on 12m so this should work as his "9". I'm fixing up a bar and thinking about the best option for safety.

I'm currently thinking about having 5th line safety by removing the anti-invert bridle. This gives a through-the-bar safety. I figure that the anti-invert is not really so necessary (otherwise North etc would have it too).

Any opinions? Overkill? Bad idea?

Note: I understand that the 5th has to have a 2:1 depower ratio so I was thinking of a mini 6th line for the safety. I don't think it would need to be more than a couple of meters long.

g00se
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: safe setup for Ozone light II 5m

Postby g00se » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

You can remove the anti-invert lines and it doesn't make any difference to performance or how the kite flies (I put them back on for waves and very gusty conditions where there is a greater chance of inverting if the kite goes down).

But.. I think the Ozone Light II uses the same 'active' 5th line as the Instinct Sport II. if you mod this to go through the bar the kite won't fly properly (it uses tension on the 5th to keep the correct canopy shape when powered up).

If you want to mod the safety, use the single flag line option (where the o shit handle is) and replace with a line that runs through the bar (like with the new Ozone bars).

If you do this there is also no need to remove the Anti-invert lines (although I took mine off to prevent wingtip snags on launching).

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

North has a loaded 5th line setup for the rebel as well. The loading tension is maintained at the split above the bar, and there is no tension on the 5th line below the bar until you hit the QR. A couple of stainless rings in the right spot could provide the same setup for the Ozone, I am sure.

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: RL kitefoil
Newind split wave

CA Pulsion 12m
FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m

Postby merl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 pm

g00se wrote:You can remove the anti-invert lines and it doesn't make any difference to performance or how the kite flies (I put them back on for waves and very gusty conditions where there is a greater chance of inverting if the kite goes down).
Thanks for that.
g00se wrote: But.. I think the Ozone Light II uses the same 'active' 5th line as the Instinct Sport II. if you mod this to go through the bar the kite won't fly properly (it uses tension on the 5th to keep the correct canopy shape when powered up).
Yes I'm with that. The line that goes through the bar will attach to the tensioned 5th line somewhere between 2 qnd 5m up the actual 5th. That's why I called it a "mini 6th".
g00se wrote: If you want to mod the safety, use the single flag line option (where the o shit handle is) and replace with a line that runs through the bar (like with the new Ozone bars).

If you do this there is also no need to remove the Anti-invert lines (although I took mine off to prevent wingtip snags on launching).
I don't see how to run a flag-out front/back line through the bar since it needs a stopper, and so it won't pull through enough line to kill the kite. But the same idea as above would work with a leash line attached 1 kitewidth up a front line. But the advantage of doing this on the 5th is that the leash line need not be so long. And maybe the kite is better behaved on a 5th line safety than on a front line.

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: RL kitefoil
Newind split wave

CA Pulsion 12m
FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m

Postby merl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 pm

SO_FL_Kiter wrote:North has a loaded 5th line setup for the rebel as well. The loading tension is maintained at the split above the bar, and there is no tension on the 5th line below the bar until you hit the QR. A couple of stainless rings in the right spot could provide the same setup for the Ozone, I am sure.
I believe the Ozone 5th (2006-2008) is more "active" than Norths. When you use the cleat to depower the front lines by 1cm, the 5th shortens by 2cm.

Return to “Kitesurfing”