Local Beach: Montauk
Style: NA
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner Kite

Postby jblates1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey sorry if this is in the wrong spot, anyway i have already taken a few hours of lessons, about five and i want to take a few more. I want to buy my own gear and take lessons with it. So far i have only looked on ebay. I am 6' 0" and about 130lbs. I am looking for a 9 - 10 m kite. Right now i am looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-North-Rebe ... 500wt_1288 but maybe i should be looking into newer gear? Any suggestions would be greatlyyy appreciated. I am looking to spend at most 800 us maybe more for the kite, bar and lines, harness, and leash. Is this possible? Also looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-kite-2010-E ... 500wt_1288

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Beginner Kite

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

jblates1 wrote:Hey sorry if this is in the wrong spot, anyway i have already taken a few hours of lessons, about five and i want to take a few more. I want to buy my own gear and take lessons with it. So far i have only looked on ebay. I am 6' 0" and about 130lbs. I am looking for a 9 - 10 m kite. Right now i am looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-North-Rebe ... 500wt_1288 but maybe i should be looking into newer gear? Any suggestions would be greatlyyy appreciated. I am looking to spend at most 800 us maybe more for the kite, bar and lines, harness, and leash. Is this possible? Also looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-kite-2010-E ... 500wt_1288
Your link doesn't work.
For $800 you should be able to get a 2012 kite with bar lines and leash.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 am

Be very cautious buying used kites off of Ebay especially from individuals. I have done it myself several times with mixed results. In one case I bought 2 kites which both looked very good and were advertised as No Leaks, excellent condition. Between the 2, I got 4 leaking strut bladders and one leaking LE. Anything inflatable can leak, but 5 bladders. Very doubtful the seller was unaware.

If you buy from a kite shop (even on ebay) you should be fairly safe as they should be somewhat concerned about their reputation, but from individuals, you are rolling the dice. Best of luck with your search.

clubkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sanur, Bintan, Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Sanur Bali, Secret beach in Bintan
Style: Wakestyle, freestyle, freeride
Gear: Epic Renegade, Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Epic, Ocean Rodeo, Flysurfer,

Postby clubkite » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:32 am

Hi

Ocean Rodeo has an awesome new kite (just released last month) called the Prodigy. They also have a 1st ride package which is extremely competitive. Just over USD1000. Why don't you check with a retailer near you.

Many beginners make the mistake of getting a kite that is too performance orientated thinking they will get improve and be able to make full use of the kites performance. Wrong.

An easy handling kite will get you improving much faster and let you have more fun. Its much faster to learn new tricks with an easy handling kite.

Do check out Ocean Rodeo's new Prodigy. See my review here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2376618&start=10

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 am

Unless you know someone who has bought a number of kites, been around a while, you will need to pay and leverage the advice and knowledge of a good retailer.

2009 Rebel for $800 - nah, too expensive. Although it would be an okay choice.

Pay for advice built up over many years and many good and bad experiences or buy yourself off ebay and cross your fingers - it can work out. Up to you.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:54 am

clubkite wrote:Ocean Rodeo has an awesome new kite (just released last month) called the Prodigy. They also have a 1st ride package which is extremely competitive. Just over USD1000.
Really? I'm seeing $1299 for a package with a 3m kite on OR's site.

jblates1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montauk
Style: NA
Gear: NA

Postby jblates1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:06 am

thanks for all the replies. Also where can i get a 2012 kite, bar and lines for 800? i sure cant find it. I am located just out of NYC so kiting is not that big around here and the closest shop is a few hours away. I just looked at this kite, what do any of you think? thanks http://www.ebay.com/itm/130752934653?ss ... 500wt_1288
its a 9m envy. The seller says the valve was glued? I asked him a question and he said it just needed to be glued. Does this sound odd to you?

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:43 am

If money is an issue, then my advice would be to look for something old but not used on eBay.

Something like a 2011 cabrinha switchblade, north Evo. A 2010 would be fine even but should be much cheaper. Used can be iffy and the discount just doesn't seem to be built into the prices I see online, whereas old dealer stock just drops and drops in value. I bought my girlfriend a 2010 nomad complete last year for only 500 dollars on eBay. Some dealer just wanted to get rid of it.

You are gonna beat the crap out of this kite so there is no really reason to buy a fancy new one. Also in about a years time you'll start to know which styles of kite you like. You will then become really picky about this. For now you wont be. You will just be trying to learn.

Then a year from now buy something nice and new once you have an educated opinion.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:06 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:If money is an issue, then my advice would be to look for something old but not used on eBay.

Something like a 2011 cabrinha switchblade, north Evo. A 2010 would be fine even but should be much cheaper. Used can be iffy and the discount just doesn't seem to be built into the prices I see online, whereas old dealer stock just drops and drops in value. I bought my girlfriend a 2010 nomad complete last year for only 500 dollars on eBay. Some dealer just wanted to get rid of it.

You are gonna beat the crap out of this kite so there is no really reason to buy a fancy new one. Also in about a years time you'll start to know which styles of kite you like. You will then become really picky about this. For now you wont be. You will just be trying to learn.

Then a year from now buy something nice and new once you have an educated opinion.

Agree with this advice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”