North Evo 2011 launching problem

Forum for kitesurfers
mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

North Evo 2011 launching problem

Postby mogthedog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 am

9 times out of 10 I can self launch my Evo with no problems, but on the odd occassion, for unknown reason one of the back lines gets caught around the wing tip and the kite goes into a spin. The only way out of this is to ditch it.

Anyone know why this happens or better still got a fool proof way of launcing without this happening?

I basically lay my lines out down wind then hook in and walk upwind till I am just upwind of the kite and let the kite slide accoss the sand till it finds the sweet spot to launch.
Any Ideas?
Please

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: North Evo 2011 launching problem

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 am

I almost always tether launch. Before I started doing that, I had the same problem with self-launching: it usually worked perfectly but sometimes it didn't. Just attach the chicken loop to any sturdy object. Bring a piece of rope with a carabiner or just use your leash.

vasco
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vasco » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 am

Free the bridles (put them in front of the leading edge).
Never had any problems with the Evos, once it happened to me with a Bandit.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm

After you hook in, don't walk upwind. Stay slightly downwind, tension the far line until the wingtip slides downwind, catches wind. Once the kite lifts on edge, walk upwind, and launch. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. We do this all the time.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomatkins » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

It is good to have the skill to do that "pivot/slide" type of self-launch.

One of my 'pet peaves', however, is when kiters do that type of launch on a beach with other kiters, who would gladly launch the kite.

How many times, out of the corner of your eye, have you caught view of a loose kite starting to tumble down the beach, and jumped up from what you were doing, and gone into "high alert", and started to run to save the 'loose' kite, and then saw the kite swoop up into the air... and only then, realized what some inconsiderate kiter was doing? For me, the answer is "too many times".

It would be nice if the person doing this kind of launch would alert others on the beach to the fact, that they are doing this... maybe yell "self-launch... kite going up!!".

I like seeing creativity and eccentricity, because I usually learn something from it, so I am not against people doing unconventional things... but isn't there enough 'chaos' on kite beaches, without this little trick launch adding to it?

Return to “Kitesurfing”